Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2013 Cruze LS and was just curious on some general tips to make sure my vehicle has a reasonable longevity.

When/how often should I get my oil changed? Is there a way to check the current Oil Life Percentage?

General maintenance to get done and how often to get them done?

Chevrolet recommended maintenance at certain mile markers?

Any tips are appreciated :) thank you!

·
2,254 Posts
#1 tip, take care of it and it will take care of you.

This thread will set you off to a great start: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/6-ne...ew-owners-crash-course-cruze-maintenance.html

As far as oil changes, even though you have the 1.8L I would still change it every 5000 miles. To check the current oil life percentage, press the menu button on your turn signal stalk and use the up and down rocker to gain access to different menus. I wouldn't rely on that though personally.

And as far as Chevrolet Recommended Maintenance intervals, I've been told to use the severe schedule regardless and that the 2014+ owners manual has the best one. Here you go:

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
In addition to what sparkman said I recommend you go to Owner's Manuals and How-to Videos | Chevrolet to get the 2014 or 2015 owners manual. Use the severe service schedule in this manual (sparkman posted above). Also download the 2013 manual so you can find all the features in your Cruze.

·
2,170 Posts
Learn how to change your oil yourself, only you will treat your car with the respect it deserves. Plus you can make sure you drain all of the oil out. Be sure to use the proper tools and don't over tighten the oil drain bolt or the oil filter cap, they're both kind of fragile. You can get full synthetic oil and filters pretty cheap online or at wal-mart.

There is an oil life monitor in the information display if you hit menu and scroll through, there's also a tire pressure monitor system, you should make sure your tires are inflated properly too. It's generally a good idea to change the oil at 7500 miles or one year which ever comes first. It's usually a good idea to rotate the tires too every oil change. Keep an eye on the coolant surge tank, make sure that stays full, you shouldn't have to mess with that.

Follow the maintenance schedule, and just pay attention to your car. A good visual inspection goes a long way. Just take the time to get to know your engine bay, look at it really good with a shop light when you change the oil. If it starts making noises it didn't make before,or sets off a check engine light, make sure you address the problems as they arise. It should be a pretty reliable vehicle if you do all of the above, enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Install four OEM splash guards. Very cheap protection.

Wash your car once a week. Some quality car wash services can be subscribed to.

Always use a Top Tier Gasoline.

Always use a dexos1 motor oil in the correct 5w30 weight.

Don't loan your car to your brother-in-law.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
In addition to the above advice, If you can, keep your car(s) in the garage when not being driven. It may sound silly, but my experience over the decades is that it does prolong the life of a car and its components. We keep both of our cars in the garage. I change the oil in there and wash them in there when it's cold outside. We are one of the few homes in our neighborhood that can actually park both cars in our garage. Note a line in my Sig.

Reactions: bostonboy

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
In addition to the above advice, If you can, keep your car(s) in the garage when not being driven. It may sound silly, but my experience over the decades is that it does prolong the life of a car and its components. We keep both of our cars in the garage. I change the oil in there and wash them in there when it's cold outside. We are one of the few homes in our neighborhood that can actually park both cars in our garage. Note a line in my Sig.
This is very good advice. I like to keep my Cadillac garaged as much as possible. Even when on the road I will prioritize covered parking for it over my convenience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts