Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2011 Eco MT just recently crested 100K miles and is still going strong, well... except that I brought it in when I started hearing a whirring/whining sound while driving. I came here and found some other posts that describe it well. Only hear it while in motion, no other actual noticeable changes. Shifting still felt normal, no dash lights. Dealership told me, as expected from reading other stories, that it would need a full replacement. So that's happening, the week before Christmas :th_down:

I have to say though the dealership IS helping me out and went to GM to ask if they could assist in the cost. I am just outside the warranty time wise but still within mileage wise. They came back saying that if I would cover $1200, the rest would be covered and the total was going to be pushing 3K. Have to say this car is still more than worth $1200 to me, paid off, and still easily gets 40+ MPG.

Here's hoping she's as good as new when I get her back in a few days!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Ugh. Unfortunately, this is becoming quite common among the manual transmission owners - most have started to fail under warranty though. Glad they helped you out with the cost & didn't hang you out to dry entirely.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest most of my maintenance has been done by dealerships. I let them (this same dealer) rope me into a bunch of 100K maintenance a few weeks ago when I first asked them check out the noise while doing an oil change. Trans fluid change was something I was told was recommended at the time and I gave the okay. Here's where they may get a bad mark but they did reimburse me... On the bill, line that mentioned transmission flush it just had a note saying "vehicle has manual transmission...". And there was a charge for $88.xx It didn't register right away but I ended up calling to ask if they actually did anything and they apologized for the charge and said that they either couldn't...or it didn't need it because it was a MT, I don't recall their exact reason now.

Long story short, I'm not sure if the trans fluid has ever been changed. I'd have to look and see if it in any records but it would have been done by the dealer for sure.

I've never beat on the car and have had jobs I needed to commute for since owning the car and "pretty much" always drive with fuel economy in mind.

If you don't mind me asking, what fluid service did you perform on that transmission, at what mileage, with what fluid, and at what fluid volume?

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
This transmission is exceptionally hard on oil as it crams a lot into a small space and gets hot. Fluid service is 45k miles in severe driving conditions or 90k miles in normal (almost all highway) driving conditions.

You were overdue for a fluid change.

The the whirring/whining you heard was a bearing that failed. It doesn't help that these transmissions were under-filled from the factory at 1.6-1.8 quarts. GM updated the fill spec to 2.32 quarts.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, thanks for the info. I will have to make sure I set some sort of reminder or note to have the fluid changed on the new transmission around that mileage. Seems weird that the dealer wouldn't do it when it was their suggestion and I was ready to pay for it. Is it something that difficult? I mean I'm willing to try it myself in the future just don't understand why a dealership wouldn't touch it.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Will they replace the clutch as well when the transmission is replaced? Would think that would be a good idea.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Will they replace the clutch as well when the transmission is replaced? Would think that would be a good idea.
Yes, I would advise this as well. Since they won't replace the clutch actuator with the throwout bearing, that's another one to throw in the pot. That is, if you plan on keeping the car at least another 50k or so.

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the info. I will have to make sure I set some sort of reminder or note to have the fluid changed on the new transmission around that mileage. Seems weird that the dealer wouldn't do it when it was their suggestion and I was ready to pay for it. Is it something that difficult? I mean I'm willing to try it myself in the future just don't understand why a dealership wouldn't touch it.
We have a tutorial here for the procedure. It's not that bad as long as you don't strip the fill plug. I've done it 4 times on my own Cruze.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
I had to have my tranny replaced also. My 2nd gear went out. Since I was at 70 K and w/in the 5 yrs it was covered. At the same time I also had the clutch replaced. The clutch only cost @ $300 the price of parts. I am used to paying up to 1500 for a clutch but since the tranny is already out it is simple labor and the cost is minimal have them replace the clutch while they are at it regardless of the condition. With @ 100K it is probably about time so....Good luck and merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brought 2011 Eco MT in last Monday for the same problem. Still waiting on it actually...but it was all covered under warranty so that makes me a happy man. Mine must've been the 1st and 2nd shaft bearing because those are the only two gears I'd get that metallic whine noise from. First gear being much louder than second. I purchased my car this last may with 67k on it. I'm thinking that the transmission fluid was not at the full updated spec fill, although I don't know for sure.

What I'm wondering is if they've solved these bearing issues in these replace m32 transmissions? Is the solution as easy as making sure that there's 2.2 quarts or whatever the updated GM spec is now?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wish I had kept tabs on this thread better but its been a busy week at work with Holidays approaching. I actually didn't hear anything from the dealership for a couple days so finally called last night before I left work. I was told the work delayed due to a part/clip/? that didn't come with the new transmission that they had to source from another dealer. He thought they would be done last night or this morning but didn't go into any detail so no idea if clutch was replaced. I am kind of hoping they went for it since GM is covering anything over $1200 but then again they may just do the bare minimum.

I saw the car out front this morning as I drove past into work this morning so hoping that means it is done. I've enjoyed the 2017 Malibu loaner but it seems to be a thirsty car...although anything that doesn't get 40+ MPG seems thirsty to me now LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts