Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I thought I'd never experience this in life, but my Cruze was broken into while i was at work. I work for the county as a Deputy Clerk of Courts. I came back from lunch at 3:15 and at 3:40 the police were calling me. For someone to do this in broad daylight and at a government facility is pretty ballsy to say the least, but drugs are getting so bad lately that it was just a matter of time i guess. Thief didn't get much, just a few bottles of cologne. Didn't pop my trunk, didn't touch anything in the back seat. Just smashed the window, busted open the glove box and center console and went about his business. He got 5 vehicles in total and will more than likely never be found. My father works at a Chevy dealership so with his discount, $70 bucks later for a new window and a Saturday afternoon of my time, I'm back in action. The worst part is finding bits and pieces of glass still after hours of vacuuming! and having to get that window retinted again

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Bummer. I'm assuming this isn't Federal courts, because I'd think that would be a federal crime. The criminals tend to shy away from that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I feel your pain. Had that happen to my impala a few weeks ago while on a road trip. All they got was two phone charging cords. Got the window replaced and then traded it in for my cruze.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
what sucks is having little bit sof the glass go into the vents... little noise inside or blowing at you

·
2,168 Posts
Bummer! That is pretty risky of them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear about your cruze, hopefully they catch the guy.
there is video surveillance but its pretty useless by now.

Bummer. I'm assuming this isn't Federal courts, because I'd think that would be a federal crime. The criminals tend to shy away from that.
correct. I work for the county courts

I feel your pain. Had that happen to my impala a few weeks ago while on a road trip. All they got was two phone charging cords. Got the window replaced and then traded it in for my cruze.
whats weird is all that was left in there. you can tell they were just looking for anything of value to sell or use real quick. But i dont keep electronix in my vehicles :)

what sucks is having little bit sof the glass go into the vents... little noise inside or blowing at you
im still finding bits here and there. Beyond driving me nuts lol

Bummer! That is pretty risky of them.
definitely risky. at night i can see for sure... but daylight? in public? just crazy...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I can't tell from this angle but that doesn't look like a real impala.
You know a factory souped up caprice classic... or is it??

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
That's a bummer!!! But at least it was just the window and no body or interior damage!!! That would have been much worse...

Before we moved out of SoCal I was working on a car for Billy F. Gibbons in my driveway installing a complete new sound system and sound deadening throughout his Scion xB (yes that Billy Gibbons and yes a Scion xB, he loved the boxy look and bought two, one for his girl and one for him). Anyhow one afternoon I had to make a Home Depot run so I closed and locked up the car and went down to HD. This was in my driveway in the afternoon with my wife and son in the house... Anyhow I returned home an hour later to broken glass and the new Kenwood Excelon doubleDIN DVD touchscreen head unit that I had just installed stolen from the dash... When they broke the window they put some scratches and dents in the door as well so not only did I have to tell Billy that his car got broke into, it also needed to go back to the body shop for new paint. It was a new car also... he had not drove it yet, I picked it up from the dealer for him... I also had to replace the head unit, but my guys at Kenwood worked with me on that...

The car turned out great, but I had to put it in the garage any time I wasn't in it working after that... He loved it too! Wild how proper sound damping even in a POJ car like the Scion xB made it sound solid like a Lexus or MBZ!!!

IMG_6917.jpg

Reactions: LS2 BLAZER

·
2,254 Posts
Howdy stranger!

That sucks man.

You would think it would be more beneficial to get a job than busting windows all day trying to score stuff. Of course, people do leave a ton of crap in their cars.

Glad it wasn't more damage.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
10,713 Posts
That sucks, people always look at me funny when I refuse to park a "**** car" like a Chevy Cruze in some areas. Doesn't matter what kind of car it is, gaining something for nothing is the goal in these situations. Most likely no trunk access button or pull cord made them think they wasn't able to get to it quickly. Nobody breaks into cars and takes their sweet *** time inventorying items, they grab what looks valuable and go. Most the stuff in my car is a phone charger and I even hide that too. Change in the spot under the hand brake, nope not gonna find it there or in front of the shifter. Tint usually is suppose to deter people cause they have to press hands against the window leaving DNA behind to see if they have a quick grab. Also if you have window mounted GPS, wipe the suction cup ring left behind off the window. If you have portable GPS don't put your real address in there. Use something public that will get you in the general direction from wherever like the mall, police station, or freeway nearby instead since you should be old enough to find your way home once you get 15 to 20 mins near it. Last bit of info is registration here has restricted and non restricted copies so your address isn't in the car in the glove box. Take the regular one out and keep the restricted one in there.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
All they got was two phone charging cords.
If they see any cords or adapters, they think there's a good chance there's electronics hidden in the car. That's one reason I'm glad the Cruze has the USB port inside the armrest where my thumbdrive can't be seen.

While what they do seems risky, they're learned people don't get involved and the response time allows them to get away with it. And the police have more important crimes to deal with.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Kids in high school and college, all it takes is a sharp pointed object like a small center punch or even an ice pick, that tempered glass will shatter into a thousand pieces, anti-thief alarm doesn't even go off, but nobody pays attention to it anyway. Shattering that glass hardly makes any noise.

Besides the window and hours of clean up work, got 400 bucks worth of original CD's from a son, making backup copies now, one daughter, a 200 buck jacket we got her for Christmas, another her purse, but she was broke, had to renew her driver's license and her ID card. Just don't leave anything visible in your car. Can be worse, a friend had 1,500 bucks worth of damage done to his new SUV

Drugs? Daughter-in-law, a pharmacist, had a gun pointed to her had from some kid wanting her supply of vicodin, she co-operated fully, but her store finally added a closed circuit TV camera with a warning sign.

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
A spark plug with the ground snapped off will shatter a tempered window with a little tap.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Automatic center punch is easier and doesn't need to be thrown or swung. Good for an emergency escape kit...

·
10,713 Posts
If they see any cords or adapters, they think there's a good chance there's electronics hidden in the car. That's one reason I'm glad the Cruze has the USB port inside the armrest where my thumbdrive can't be seen.

While what they do seems risky, they're learned people don't get involved and the response time allows them to get away with it. And the police have more important crimes to deal with.
I was surprised when they tried to break into my Subaru the cops actually dusted for prints. Neighbors car was up for repo and since I took the plates off the car and covered the vin, they probably thought I was hiding it from repo as well. I was on TDY orders far far away an nobody noticed anything out of place but me. I normally wash the Subaru like it's still running and since I was gone it collected dust from a tree being cut down nearby. What tipped me off was the fine layer of dust had a slim jim pattern going down the window and the weather trim was torn.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I see so many videos of people purposely trying to break windows with different methods and it's honestly not as easy as you'd think, so it surprises me when it happens in public and during the day.

·
2,254 Posts
****, that's a good looking car. LTZ with 3.6?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts