Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a person who takes pride in my vehicle. I use the highest octane and in my opinion the best oil, Castrol Edge Synthetic. Since my Cruze is turbo I check fluids, belts, hoses, etc very often. I've had only a few warranty issues that have been covered as well as recalls. From the day I bought car I've been dealing with attitudes and even threats from the dealership. I bought my car including arrangments for dealer installed rally stripes since I was leaving numerous aftermarket parts on my trade in. Now, I'll build on that sentence, aftermarket parts. I originally told the salesman I wanted all the aftermaket parts from my trade in and would give the dealership the original parts, or re-install the originals myself. The dealership's appraiser included these parts in the trade to improve my trade in value. When I corrected him and said no, I wanted the parts. He said those parts increase my trade in considerably as well as improves the resale of that car. Reluctantly I agree with the stipulation, the dealer includes and installs the rally stripes on the hood, roof and trunk. They hesitate but say it shouldn't be a problem. A few days later, I call and ask about making an appointment for the stripes. I'm told the installer won't do it because the stripes are too big. Strange since the GM stripe kit for the Cruze is half the width of the Camaro stripes, which a friend just had done by this dealership.
Now since I like too add my individuality to my cars, I decided to do my own stripes and had the whole car done in less then two hours. I then decided to give my Cruze a more muscular appearance at the rear. I went to a local exhaust shop who has done my exhaust work for years. They also make their own custom systems and are authorized dealers of MagnaFlow and Flowmaster. I only wanted the look and had no intension of affecting the emissions warranty. They installed a custom split just after the factory muffler and with stainless pipe and MagnaFlow tips made duals similar to the Chevy SS. At my first oil change, a comment was made to me by an counter person and an older service tech about the stripes on my Cruze. He said that by adding the stripes I voided my finish warranty because in about 10 years, when the stripes are removed, the paint will have faded except where the stripes are. I told him in 10 years I doubt I'll still have the car and wouldn't care. The tech then see the duals and informed me that I had voided the emissions warranty. I said the emissions is controlled from the catalytic converter froward, the muffler controlled the sound. He persisted and even threatened that if I installed a K&N air filter, they would flag my car and not service any warranty issues. He then kept trying to belittle me and then commented on the window tint. I asked him what warranty I messed up with the tint but he just walked away.
While changing my oil, I noticed a oil leaking from the oil pan. I took my Cruze in and found out several people had been complaining about the counter staff which ended in two people being fired. Keep in mind, I had been using a drop in K&N air filter for almost a year by now. I started hearing a random squeal when driving away from a stop light or when leaving the lot at work. The squeal did not happen all the time, just randomly. I took it to the dealership and spoke with the service manager who set an appointment for August 26th. They found nothing even though the car squeeled when I left work. They checked fluids, hoses, belts, etc. I drove my Cruze to work that night and had no problems until pulled into my driveway and saw the check engine light on. Took my car back to the dealership on the next business day along with some research. I had used my OnStar for a live diagnostic and was told there was an intake code and and exhaust code. I checked the filter and it was fine, so I took the hose off the intake and found oil being sucked into the turbo. I then found that the PCV valve is molded into the valve cover. I the found a video of a Cruze owner having the same problem. Next I noticed oil had been leaking out the valve cover gasket which is common with a faulty PCV valve due to the pressure build up. Luckily they fit me in and found the PCV was bad. For two days I enjoyed touble free driving until tonight, the check engine light came on. Again I call OnStar and am told the turbo isn't performing up to specs and it should be serviced within one day. I flashback to the oil being sucked into the turbo from the bad pcv. I actually thought they would have cleaned that out but it appears this is now affecting the turbo. Going to call in the morning because this will obviously be waranty. What started as an enjoyable vehicle to drive has now become a pain. Admittedly the dealership has been doing a great job recently which makes up for their poor customer service, but now I'm to the point that I am considering trading my Cruze in and taking the loss just to get out from under the car. My few attempted conversations with GM/Chevy customer service to try to resolve my early issues have been in vain since I could not understand anything that was said. I couldn't even figure out what language this person was speaking. I am loading pics of my Cruze.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet cruze Grille
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet cruze Sedan
Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Car Auto part

Attachments

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Dang that sure is a long story , with a little luck and a brighter day these little trials seem to wither away into the past . So good luck .

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Heard about the invention of the paragraph. In regards to frustration, find this true in anything I buy.

What I really need to buy, is a much larger trashcan.

Somehow have the strange idea that Made in China has something to do with it.

In regards to oil changes, my kids are actually asking me how to do this very simple operation. Because can't even get this simple chore done correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I've posted a ton about the PCV setup in the turbo cars. The picture you took of the oil in the turbo housing is normal. Only way to stop it is a catch can, but due to the sensitivity of the PCV system, it will only cause more issues. I had to replace 3-4 valve covers to figure this out.

As far as warranty, there are laws to protect us, but after talking to the service department about my Genesis, it's obvious that most dealers/techs don't know about it. Also keep in mind that if you have any extended warranty through a 3rd party provider, they will void coverage for anything you change. The customer in front of me at the dealer service counter was talking to the tech about his provider cancelling his policy because he added coil overs and slotted rotors. That blew my mind.

All-in-all, don't let anyone push you around and make them prove your changes have caused damage in some way.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
The PCV is a known weak point and GM redesigned it to be stronger. As for your turbo the only real concern I would have is the K&N filter, which allows larger particles through than does the OEM air filter. Chrysler has gone so far as to inspect blown turbos in their trucks if there is a K&N filter to verify the turbo wasn't blown because of larger particles in the air stream. However, we have seen some blow off valves fail as well as a couple of actual turbos fail. Both are under the power train warranty.

I like your paint job - in 10 years it won't matter because the paint warranty is part of the 36/36 B2B warranty. As long as your dual mufflers branch off after the last part of the actual emissions system they won't impact the emissions warranty.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi Mixer,

If you would like for us to look into this further, and get in touch with your dealership at all, please let us know via private message. We would be happy to help the best way possible.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 9 of 9 Posts