Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, about a month ago I had a question about using the USB port with the Cruze's stereo, and everything is fine so thanks for the help everyone. I have another question now though after playing with it for almost a month. I have a USB drive plugged in with about 2,000 songs on it. My question is... when I'm searching for a song or an artist through the "search" menu, how can I get it to come up where I choose a letter first, and then resume my search instead of just scrolling through one huge list forever? It seems like sometimes after scrolling a bit it'll then ask me to pick a letter, and other times I just keep spinning the dial until I find the song I want without it ever asking me for a letter. I can't reliably get it to ask me to pick a letter first. The owner's manual wasn't any help. With 2000 songs on the flash drive it really sucks trying to get to those songs in the middle of the alphabet when you've either got to start from A and go forward or backwards! Any ideas? Most of the time I just leave it on random anyway, but still, once in a while I'm in the mood for a specific song. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I know it's possible because once in a while the option will pop up to choose a letter of the alphabet. I do have all of my songs on the flash drive sorted into folders, but still, there's a lot of them. Like I said, it only happens sometimes, very rarely in fact, but it does happen. I just haven't been able to recreate when it does. Sometimes after scrolling through a list for a bit it must detect that I'm scrolling through a long list, and then it'll pop up with an option to pick a letter, A-Z. Sometimes I can scroll forever though and it never comes up. Puzzling, I know.

·
Administrator
15,845 Posts
Oh I know it's possible because once in a while the option will pop up to choose a letter of the alphabet. I do have all of my songs on the flash drive sorted into folders, but still, there's a lot of them. Like I said, it only happens sometimes, very rarely in fact, but it does happen. I just haven't been able to recreate when it does. Sometimes after scrolling through a list for a bit it must detect that I'm scrolling through a long list, and then it'll pop up with an option to pick a letter, A-Z. Sometimes I can scroll forever though and it never comes up. Puzzling, I know.
That's really weird. I'll have to try out the scrolling thing to see if it will come up for me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Try scrolling really fast and see if the letter selection comes up.

I remember seeing a video on youtube, the cruze owner was asking the same question as yours and someone commented that you need to scroll really fast.

Anyhow, that's almost how it works on my iPod classic, although when you scroll really fast, it will tell you what letter you are currently at.

HTH

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey everyone, about a month ago I had a question about using the USB port with the Cruze's stereo, and everything is fine so thanks for the help everyone. I have another question now though after playing with it for almost a month. I have a USB drive plugged in with about 2,000 songs on it. My question is... when I'm searching for a song or an artist through the "search" menu, how can I get it to come up where I choose a letter first, and then resume my search instead of just scrolling through one huge list forever? It seems like sometimes after scrolling a bit it'll then ask me to pick a letter, and other times I just keep spinning the dial until I find the song I want without it ever asking me for a letter. I can't reliably get it to ask me to pick a letter first. The owner's manual wasn't any help. With 2000 songs on the flash drive it really sucks trying to get to those songs in the middle of the alphabet when you've either got to start from A and go forward or backwards! Any ideas? Most of the time I just leave it on random anyway, but still, once in a while I'm in the mood for a specific song. Thanks guys.

robert4380,
The previous posters are correct, you can do this by turning the Multifunction Knob fast and the alphabet will appear. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I knew I wasn't crazy. Sometimes I was seeing it and sometimes I wasn't. But yeah, when searching by artist or song title I can get it to show up every time now just by spinning the knob really fast. What a time saver for scrolling through all my music! I didn't see this trick mentioned anywhere in the owners manual, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
hey speaking of the alphabet, does anyone know if theres a way to not have the songs in alphabetical order rather how the album is actually listed? i have a few live albums on my iphone which are a pain when it goes in alphabetical order instead of track number

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cruz3r, whenever I rip a CD I always have it come out in this format: 01-track name.mp3, 02-track name.mp3, etc. Then if an entire album is done that way, and only songs from that specific album are by themselves in a folder, then it'll play in order regardless of alphabet. But if you have a number of songs named that way but from different albums and all tossed into one folder, then it'll play all the 01's first, then the 02's, etc. You can edit an mp3s tags to whatever name you want. But the actual file name itself should have a number in front for them to play in order.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Can get that letter bit to work in Artists, but not in song titles. Letter "A" pops up, can rotate much slower to the letter you want. Could try connecting my drill to that multifunction know, maybe not spinning it fast enough. See that songs starting with "The", the is ignored starting alphabetically with the rest of the words. Other MP3 players we have, a whole bunch of songs starting with "The" and have to scroll down to the "T's"

Using my homemade folders, that works just fine for finding the music I feel like listening too. If I can remember which folder I put that song in.

Could also diverse a bit in the thread and talk about scrolling through 228 channels on XM. Don't forget to look out the window once in awhile, to make sure you are still on the road.

Ha, always get that warning sign when switching on my GPS to keep your eyes on the road, but nothing like that on the radio. Cruze owners manual sure covers that warning while driving, come to think of it, that is all the owners manual covers about the radio. Stuff you need to operate it seems to be ignored.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
If it works the same as the IPOD scroll quickly thru the songs and the letter menu will pop up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.