Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has gotten locked in the car twice now. Each time, she had stayed in the car to read after we got home from a long day (it's quieter than the house). I did not lock the car before walking away, but each time, she pressed the delayed-lock button. The door handles did not unlock the car, nor did the lock button on the center console actuate the door locks. She wound up panicking and crying both times.

I'm really alarmed that my child will be inadvertently locked in the car and freeze or fry because of this feature. Is there a way to ensure that the lock button always works?

(Obviously, I know that letting her sit in the car is not ideal, but one would expect the manual handle or the electronic locking mechanism to work! And she has snuck out to sit in the car a couple times, too.)

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
A couple of things,

The cars electrical system, with exception of the alarm and various memories, shuts down in ten minutes.

Your child is setting the locks though......delayed locking is five to ten seconds after last door closed.

If you have the child rear door releases enabled, the rear inside handles obviously will do nothing.

I don't think you are aware that all doors (as long as childproof is not enabled) require two pulls of the inside handle to manually unlock the doors.
Teach your child to pull and release the handle, then pull again.

This is information found in your owners manual.

Rob

·
2,254 Posts
In all seriousness, I did get locked in a 2016 Corvette yesterday. I was getting our new Tahoe's oil changed and decided to check out the Vettes in the showroom. The Vette I happened to sit in battery went dead when I shut the door. Since they all have the button latches, I was stuck. Talk about embarrassing. They had to get a key, open the hatch and I had to crawl through the trunk. Lol.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
In all seriousness, I did get locked in a 2016 Corvette yesterday. I was getting our new Tahoe's oil changed and decided to check out the Vettes in the showroom. The Vette I happened to sit in battery went dead when I shut the door. Since they all have the button latches, I was stuck. Talk about embarrassing. They had to get a key, open the hatch and I had to crawl through the trunk. Lol.
16s dont have the big red handle on the side of the seat anymore?

lotsa dummies have died in corvettes not knowing aboot the escape handle

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
That's with a vehicle with electronic door releases. The Cruze is mechanical and you'll always be able to get out unless all 4 doors happen to magically have a mechanical failure. (Or the 2 front doors if the rear childlocks are on).

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Good grief!

The dealer is staffed with doomashes.

The manual door release is alongside the door opening at the floor......just raise the lever, door opens.

Not knowing this is what caused the death, from heat prostration, to a man and his dog this last summer.

Apparently the negative battery cable was removed by the owner when the car was not in use (Vettes destroy their batteries in short order...lots of memories and owners often leave the key somewhere not far enough from the car....the transponder keeps waiting for the car to be started).

Anyways, he had reinstalled the cable to use the car and meet some friends for a bite to eat/hangout.

When they parted, he got into the car (electric door releases worked) and evidently hit the start button.
The negative cable was not properly secured and the circuit went open.....no start and all electronics inoperative......he couldn't get out of the car.

He and the dog died in the car......he had the owners manual on his lap trying to learn how to open the doors....never made it.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Sounds like that vette just gave birth to you.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts

Some car owners apparently are so smart they know everything and don't need to read the user manual.

And they are usually the ones that end up locked into it...

·
Registered
132 Posts

My 15 has them on the floor in front of the seat...

·
2,254 Posts
Well I'm gonna have to check that out. I like my '99, mechanical door handles FTW! Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am aware that the doors require two pulls to open--and a panicked kid tries every door more than once. She's legitimately locked in until I unlock the doors from the outside. I assumed that it was an anti-theft feature.

I don't engage the childproof feature unless kids are playing with the windows (not a January thing to do), and this hasn't happened when it's been engaged.

I know from experience that I can turn the radio on after the ten-minute mark. In fact, it works for a couple of hours after the engine has been shut off and the keys taken out--right up until the battery preservation system kicks in. So why don't the locks work?

I haven't found anything useful in the owner's manual (which I've read more than once from cover to cover), which is why I turned to a forum.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
I am aware that the doors require two pulls to open--and a panicked kid tries every door more than once. She's legitimately locked in until I unlock the doors from the outside. I assumed that it was an anti-theft feature.

I don't engage the childproof feature unless kids are playing with the windows (not a January thing to do), and this hasn't happened when it's been engaged.

I know from experience that I can turn the radio on after the ten-minute mark. In fact, it works for a couple of hours after the engine has been shut off and the keys taken out--right up until the battery preservation system kicks in. So why don't the locks work?

I haven't found anything useful in the owner's manual (which I've read more than once from cover to cover), which is why I turned to a forum.
Well, you've come to the right place.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
What's with this thinking about locking you inside of the Cruze, first vehicle I have ever owned where you can't manually pull up on the door push down buttons. No shoulder on these, but can lift them up with a pair of side cutter pliers.

My key interest and always has been to get out of the darn thing in case of an accident or whatever, in particular if there is a fire. With nine kids, never had one that was dumb enough to try to open the rear doors when driving. With adults back there, no way for them to get out with these stupid child safety locks, that the first thing to go out in the event of an accident is the electrical system.

And what group of absolute idiots designed these baby car seats. My less than one year old rear facing seat is not that bad, with one push of the lever can pull the entire seat out. But after this, and looked at seats in the 30 to 300 buck range, what group of a$$holes designed these? Three very difficult straps have to be removed to get that kid out. And you need two hands to do this. Swear these a$$holes are smoking crack with those cheap plastic sticky clamps.

Yeah, when I first got my new Cruze home, I lock the doors when inside and tried to get out manually, couldn't do it, what the hail! So dug out the owners manual, who would have every guessed you have to pull on the door handle twice, should be a big red sign on this. And that stupid owners manual is so loaded with constant repeated safety crap, takes a half a day to find it.

But this doesn't work in the back seat with the child safety lock on, and super easy to switch in on by bumping the wrong switch on the driver's door panel. And with those super high non-removable front seat head restrains, can't even crawl over to get at the front door. This is one time you have to scream for help.

Owned a lot more vehicles with strictly manual door locks, was no problem for me to push down those three buttons from the driver's seat to lock them. Electric door locks is when all my problems started.

Use a cheap permanent magnet motor driving a rack and pinion, with a timed point contact relay, when the grease dries up, too slow, so don't lock, needs a cheap reversing switch with more contact problems, and a ton of cheap wires to these doors when in cold weather, they all can break because they are super stiff with that cheap vinyl insulation.

Cruse is nuts with these automatic locks, can't even back the darn thing out of the garage with the door locking, and no way to program this off. So those door locks are working continuously and wearing themselves out. It because someone thinks we are stupid. If driving in a nasty neighborhood, have no problems in locking the doors myself.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
Doesn't the Cruze have a feature where you pull the inner door handle 2 times and it unlocks, I know my son uses this when he gets out. Don't believe that requires power or hitting the unlock button on the console.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
/Mic-drop
/End-Thread
/Win-forum

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Sounds like that vette just gave birth to you.
Remember that old Saab tag line: Born from jets.

Well sparkman - you're Born from Vettes.

Reactions: sparkman and _MerF_

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts

From 2013 manual (cause you didn't mention model year but should be the same) Door unlocking: page 2-11.

Retained Accessory Power (R.A.P.) : page 9-22 explains radio operation with keys removed, doors closed....ie,will operate for up to ten minutes with each 'On' button push.

Regarding the 'two pull' door handle business.......somethins fishy here......these are mechanical overides......there is no electricity involved.

If I accept your experience (which I do not) you are trying to make me believe that all FOUR of your mechanical overrides are inoperative....and you have found the ONLY car that had this occur.

If this is the case, I am confident Chevrolet engineering would be very interested since mechanical overrides are a safety item.....I make that statement tongue in cheek........prove me wrong.

Rob

1 - 20 of 38 Posts