Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since all the complaints about the OEM batteries in the Cruze Diesel I decide to be pro active and replace mine at about 1 year of age. The original battery did leave me strand once with only 300 miles on it new but after some upgrades in the main battery wiring the even has not reoccurred. So... the next step has been to upgrade the battery to a Battery Plus X2 group size SLI27FAGMDP. And yes it actually fit in the space with some minor mods. The fuse box webbing needed some minor trimming so that it just snapped onto the top of the new battery like the OEM battery and a new hole had to be drilled above the slot where the cross member bracket hooks in.

The 27F shares a common length and width dimensions with the 94R but it is about 1.3 in taller. This was a little bit of a concern initially but after some measuring I convinced myself it would fit under the hood when closed, so off I was to Battery Plus. After the modification it slipped into place with little effort and looks like it belongs. :grin:

So ask what are the gains: CCA(@ 0C): 27F 930 amp, 94R X2 840 amps, OEM 730 amps,
(5 year full replacement, reserve (min): 27F 196, 94R X2 158, , OEM Delco 94R 130
dual mode deep short circuit amps: 27F 5000 amps, 94R X2 3000 amps, OEM ? amps
cycle/starting).

Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Auto part Technology Machine

Reactions: vwgtiglx

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Who makes the battery?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I have a feeling that battery will last a while.

Reactions: sparkman

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
What did this battery replacement cost? Looks good sitting in there, haven't had any issues with my battery yet.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I would think with higher CCA your starter will last longer since the engine might fire off faster. Looks good and will be interesting to see how well it performs over time. :)

I was looking at an Odyssey battery when the time comes to replace mine.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
As I read the top of the battery I see it is a 'Deep Cycle' type.

These are not well suited for automotive applications.....they are designed to tolerate discharges of 50% or more between recharges as opposed to the 10% discharge a starting battery is designed for.
They are somewhat intolerant of heat (since it is anticipated they will be remotely mounted, such as use as a trolling motor power source) and generally require a charging voltage somewhat higher than a automobile alternator provides.
They are designed to discharge slowly....like a running electric motor over a few hours as opposed to a 'Burst discharge' that is a requirement of a auto starting motor.........this variation is a result of the batteries lead plates being thicker.

In extreme cold situations, a deep cycle battery may be unable to provide the 'Burst' amperage to crank the engine and provide the secondary current required to power the ecm and ignition system.

In more moderate climates, some have had fairly good success but keep in mind the underhood temperatures will shorten the batteries lifespan.

As a starting point, read up on Deep Cycle Batteries on Wiki and then go into some of the sub chapters relative to automotive use.

To other readers: if you are looking for more battery capacity the battery tray will accept up to a group 27 auto battery with no mods.....the Diesel Cruze uses a group 27 AGM type and this will fit a gas Cruze with no modifications.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
.....the Diesel Cruze uses a group 27 AGM type and this will fit a gas Cruze with no modifications.

Rob
I can't speak for anyone else, but mine left Lordstown with a group 94 battery.

If I read the specs correctly a group 27 is 1.5" taller than a group 94.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
With apologies.....I should have said the group 27 is a industry case size....not specific to brand/type.
That means it could be a vented type, a sealed type, or a AGM type, or marine as the OP indicates.

The group 94 (group 27 case, AGM type) is indeed the original equipment Cruze diesel battery.

Good catch.....I was trying to reduce confusion as opposed to creating more.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Do we know what is causing battery issues in the CTD? Mine is about 15 months old and 15k miles, no issues to this point, mine sits in the garage when not in use in the evenings and the keys are in the ignition but not locked since it is in the garage, never sets ever for more than a week without being started. On occasion maybe sitting locked at the airport for a few days.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
There has been no known cause posted.....yet.

Other manufacturers have the same issue.....not a Cruze thing.

Ford folks have been going nuts for a few years.....seems Mustangs will occasionally kill the battery....no reason.....recharge and it may be fine for a few YEARS.....then do it again.
I mention the Mustang because one of my Car Guy buddies has an 06......did it twice the first year of ownership.......never repeated.....till last week.......stone dead after a three day layup.
He had decided it was time to replace the battery (age) this spring.

Anyways, recharged.....no draws evident....we'll see how long it goes.

My 09 Miata is known for this on occasion as well......Mazda figured out that a gremlin would initiate the purge pump with the car shut off.....and run it till the battery was dead........took them three years to nail it......mine was unaffected.

Rob

·
Banned
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
As I read the top of the battery I see it is a 'Deep Cycle' type.

These are not well suited for automotive applications.....they are designed to tolerate discharges of 50% or more between recharges as opposed to the 10% discharge a starting battery is designed for. They are somewhat intolerant of heat (since it is anticipated they will be remotely mounted, such as use as a trolling motor power source) and generally require a charging voltage somewhat higher than a automobile alternator provides. They are designed to discharge slowly....like a running electric motor over a few hours as opposed to a 'Burst discharge' that is a requirement of a auto starting motor.........this variation is a result of the batteries lead plates being thicker.

In extreme cold situations, a deep cycle battery may be unable to provide the 'Burst' amperage to crank the engine and provide the secondary current required to power the ecm and ignition system.

In more moderate climates, some have had fairly good success but keep in mind the underhood temperatures will shorten the batteries lifespan.

As a starting point, read up on Deep Cycle Batteries on Wiki and then go into some of the sub chapters relative to automotive use.

To other readers: if you are looking for more battery capacity the battery tray will accept up to a group 27 auto battery with no mods.....the Diesel Cruze uses a group 27 AGM type and this will fit a gas Cruze with no modifications.

Rob
Basically ALL misinformation... the 27FAGM X2 battery from Battery Plus is a "dual purposed" truck/car battery with starting/deep cycle capabilities. One needs to look at ALL the spec's to see the true difference between batteries but that also requires an electrical background to understand what the spec's mean. It is my understanding their X2 is a re branded NorthStar and it is expensive at $296 out the door, but one would expect to pay for quality with a 5 year FULL replacement no questions asked warranty.

Although not relevant in the case of dual purposed AGM battery's, cars using the new RVC or equivalent charging technology may lend themselves to a deep cycle battery due to the low charging rates to achieve gas mileage as a compromise.

By the way a "27F" (vs 27) is a reversed terminal polarity battery so it fits the Cruze without any strain on the cables and the Cruze diesel comes Standard with a lower power 94RAGM battery! The 27F is NOT suppose to fit the Cruze since it is 1.3 inches TALLER then a 94R but with a few simple mod's as I previously mentioned it can be applied to the Cruze diesel for additional cranking power COLD!

It might be a little early but with 200 miles on it I'm fully satisfied with the results. It will be more interesting when it gets cold again as the OEM Delco 94RAGM seemed anemic last winter at a low of -6F outside let alone if we get another COLD winter with -36F again! :th_salute:

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Yeah, it kind of looked like a Northstar case.

If it is a Northstar than I wonder if it would have been one that didn't meet the assembly test standards to get the Northstar label and would have been diverted for a genericized brand or store label.

The kind of thing that used to get sold in factory stores, home shopping network, etc. But to protect the Northstar brand equity they could be going another route.

Any way you slice it, a nice upgrade to the factory unit.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yeah, it kind of looked like a Northstar case.

If it is a Northstar than I wonder if it would have been one that didn't meet the assembly test standards to get the Northstar label and would have been diverted for a genericized brand or store label.
Interesting point Tomko... a fortune 50 company I use to work for designed and manufactured engine controllers for Ford and sold the units that were functional but did not meet Ford Spec's
to after market places like KMart (this dates back to the late 70's early '80's).

But note that Battery Plus is selling their X2 battery with a 5 year full replacement warranty while NorthStar only offers 4 year replacement warranty under their name. On the other hand this may suggest Battery Plus is really buying crème de la crème and also selling at a slightly lower price due to potential volume discounting for them?? Volume has a big reflection on what can be done with pricing. Another positive note, it has MADE IN USA print on it! :th_dblthumb2:

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Interesting point Tomko... a fortune 50 company I use to work which designed engine controllers for Ford and sold the units that did not meet Ford Spec's to after market places like KMart (this dates back to the late 70's early '80's).

But note that Battery Plus is selling their X2 battery with a 5 year full replacement warranty while NorthStar only offers 4 year replacement warranty under their name. On the other hand this may suggest Battery Plus is really buying crème de la crème and also selling at a slightly lower price due to potential volume discounting for them?? Volume has a big reflection on what can be done with pricing. Another positive note, it has MADE IN USA print on it! :th_dblthumb2:
I'm guessing the five year warranty is cheaper to administer by battery plus themselves than the four year warranty that Northstar pays its retailers to administer for them.

Plus, let's be honest. A person who buys a bargain battery is more likely to scrap the car in five years than a person who buys a very expensive brand name battery.

The expensive brand name buyer may be the more car collector / enthusiast type. The bargain buyer more interested in transportation at the best cost:benefit ratio.

I once read a forum post about someone working in manufacturing earlier in their career. They were involved with testing motors used in shop vacuums. If the motor rated above a certain point it was placed in one barrel for assembly. If lower than that point in another barrel. The good ones became craftsman and the less good ones became rigid. I could have the brands switched or wrong - but you get the idea and it confirms your own experience.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
there is a tsb about diesels killing batt. i just had mine replaced at 15k miles. GM has a TSB for Bluetooth draining batt after shut down. as the teck told me the Bluetooth system wont turn off if you turn car off and leave Bluetooth connected and walk away. he might have simplified it for me. ill try to pull up the tsb number and exact description

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 Cruze Diesel has been having battery issues starting about 2 months ago. I bought it new 12/13 and have 56,525 on the clock now. I had the battery and alternator tested and was told the voltage regulator went bad. After replacing that alternator a month ago I had it tested again and now this voltage regulator is bad. Could it be that my alternator is not actually the culprit even though the tests say it is? I haven't had a chance to have it bench tested yet because I'm back and forth to Louisiana working offshore.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
My 2014 Cruze Diesel has been having battery issues starting about 2 months ago. I bought it new 12/13 and have 56,525 on the clock now. I had the battery and alternator tested and was told the voltage regulator went bad. After replacing that alternator a month ago I had it tested again and now this voltage regulator is bad. Could it be that my alternator is not actually the culprit even though the tests say it is? I haven't had a chance to have it bench tested yet because I'm back and forth to Louisiana working offshore.
In all likelihood your battery is failing.

Who advised you to replace other parts?

Reactions: MRO1791 and diesel

·
Registered
110 Posts
there is a tsb about diesels killing batt. i just had mine replaced at 15k miles. GM has a TSB for Bluetooth draining batt after shut down. as the teck told me the Bluetooth system wont turn off if you turn car off and leave Bluetooth connected and walk away. he might have simplified it for me. ill try to pull up the tsb number and exact description
I've have already had the OEM battery replaced at 21K miles or so...then my car sits parked for 8 days and the new battery is dead...took it to the dealer and they say the draw on the battery is normal and nothing is wrong with the car..but yet the battery has drained dead twice now while parked in my driveway....just wondering if you have anymore info on that TSB with the Bluetooth not shutting off that you posted about?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I think my factory battery is on its way out after 3 years... I'm looking at this battery as we speak.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts