Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Gieger counter rattle

2712 9
Has anyone with the "geiger-counter rattle" in the right side of the dash had it fixed successfully? My car is going back in for a fourth attempt at a repair. Oh, and the coolant smell, and brake problems...
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Administrator
14,720 Posts
Has anyone with the "geiger-counter rattle" in the right side of the dash had it fixed successfully? My car is going back in for a fourth attempt at a repair. Oh, and the coolant smell, and brake problems...
There's a PI out for a coolant problem. It's complicated, but the general notion is vapors coming out of the overflow tank. If you once had a leaky heater core and had it replaced, and any coolant got left in the carpet, it will continue to smell even after the problem is fixed.

I had a rattle that I thought was in the dash. Turned out to be the speaker trim ring on the passenger side. You sure that's not what's causing it?

Good luck getting the problems resolved. Do you have a case open with GM's customer support?

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a PI out for a coolant problem. It's complicated, but the general notion is vapors coming out of the overflow tank. If you once had a leaky heater core and had it replaced, and any coolant got left in the carpet, it will continue to smell even after the problem is fixed.

I had a rattle that I thought was in the dash. Turned out to be the speaker trim ring on the passenger side. You sure that's not what's causing it?

Good luck getting the problems resolved. Do you have a case open with GM's customer support?
Coolant smell is outside of car only. Level in overflow tank kept dropping, but tech "couldn't find anything", so they put dye in it last time. The level has dropped again, so it's going back in.

The rattle isn't the speaker/trim ring-checked and they were tight. It sounds like it's coming from the upper right part of the dash. They've "fixed" it three times, but the rattles comes back every time.

No case open with GM. Yet.

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

Tallboy,
I would like you to keep m posted on the outcome of your appointment with your dealer. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tallboy,
I would like you to keep m posted on the outcome of your appointment with your dealer. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Will do. The car is scheduled to go back in the shop on Monday. I just want someone at the dealer to listen to me. So far, they haven't.

· Registered
720 Posts
You could remove the windshield pillar trim and see if it made a difference. I had a rattle that I thought was coming from that area but discovered it was actually a loose Onstar microphone in the overhead light console. My headliner had been lowered at Dent Doctors and they didn't put the mic back into it's clip properly.

If you get a solution, please post it up. I hate rattles.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: It was the windshield. The windshield was incorrectly installed and had very little sealer on the passenger side a-pillar. I took a rock in the windshield two weeks ago and had Safelite replace it. When the tech removed the rubber moldings the glass cracked and split. Upon removal, we found the lack of sealer and discovered the windshield was in "crooked". You could see where the windshield had "moved around" and highway speeds and rubbed the paint away.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does you new windshield have the "acoutically treated glass"? I'm trying to understand how the windshield companies handle these new windshields. A lot of new cars have them now.
Good question. I didn't ask. I was asked whether or not I wanted a "GM" windshield or not. I said I didn't care. The replacement is manufactured by Pilkington. All I know is, the noise is gone, and I have not noticed any difference in interior noise level. If anything, it's quieter now. The OEM windshield installation [done by robots] was way off...

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
UPDATE: It was the windshield. The windshield was incorrectly installed and had very little sealer on the passenger side a-pillar. I took a rock in the windshield two weeks ago and had Safelite replace it. When the tech removed the rubber moldings the glass cracked and split. Upon removal, we found the lack of sealer and discovered the windshield was in "crooked". You could see where the windshield had "moved around" and highway speeds and rubbed the paint away.

Tallboy,
Thank you for the update. I am happy to hear that you have had this issue resolved! If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.