Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it happened, I picked up a piece of metal last night which caused my rear passenger tire to go flat. I have only about 1200 kms on these snow tires. I just want to say that I am glad I had a spare tire to throw on to get me home. It only took about 15 minutes and I was back on the road. It really bothers me that many car manufacturers are opting not to include a spare, which in my mind is a safety concern. Now I must say that I have never used one of those miracle tire repair machines that are included instead of a spare. So maybe I am way off base and they are easier and better than a spare. If that's the case, forget my rambling here!!

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Another testimony about why I added the spare to my ECO MT. The goo/sealant is theoretically fine for holes less than a quarter inch (6 mm) in diameter, but anything larger and you must have a spare tire or you're waiting for a tow truck. I've successfully used goo in bicycle tires, but never a car tire.

I 100% agree that a spare tire is an absolute must have in a car. GM really needs to realize this and at least make it an option on all their vehicles.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,546 Posts
Same for me. I picked up a hugemous screw in my tire. Glad I had a spare too.

I really don't care that it saves weight - it's just a stupid thing to take out of a car. It's like taking out a true ignition switch or a parking brake operated by a cable. What happens when something goes wrong?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
LOL, my 30 Olds, 30 Ford, and 33 Buick all had two spare tires, after that, only one, today, none, next year, cars will still come with spaces for four wheels, but with only three wheels mounted.

How about having a full sized spare, just didn't sit there gathering dust, was part of the tire rotation scheme to get a lot more tire life. Could also drive more than 50 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I did a few tanks with & without my spare & jack, I saw no difference in highway MPG. There was a very slight difference in the city MPG but not enough to care.

I would not buy a car without a spare. I drive at night occasionally(between 10pm-6am) 30miles of rolling hills where you only have cell service 1/2 the time. Calling onstar, AAA or a local tow truck would do no good & I might not see another car come by for a few hours.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Like wise. I would never buy a car without that Spare and I will always check the air pressure to the Spare. My friend over time never checked his and on day a flat happened he went to the trunk the spare was also flat. Now having a flat on a MotorCycle now that is fun.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
When I put the spare in my ECO MT I kept the air compressor in my trunk so I can inflate the spare if I need to use it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Jetta came with a full size spare. Although I think the new Jettas only have donut spare now, due to decontenting, but at least they have a spare!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think the whole eco withpit a spare is BS. I still need to get mine. If you have a passenger in the car, or not what difference is it? Or if someone weighs 150lbs or 250 lbs. So dumb.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
My 2011 LS I ripped a hole in the side of the tire and above all that I bent the rim. Glad my car came with the spare. I probably would have opted against it if given the choice when I bought my LS. None the less, I bought a spare for my Eco so I don't need to worry about it. God knows I had better not damage an Eco wheel. A steelie was bad enough !

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
i drove my miata 450 miles 3x a month for the last 5yrs w/o a spare....no issues, but it DID take getting used to

my lifted cherokee has full size spare

my diesel cruze has no spare so back to gambling

·
Super Moderator
7,814 Posts
LOL, my 30 Olds, 30 Ford, and 33 Buick all had two spare tires, after that, only one, today, none, next year, cars will still come with spaces for four wheels, but with only three wheels mounted.

How about having a full sized spare, just didn't sit there gathering dust, was part of the tire rotation scheme to get a lot more tire life. Could also drive more than 50 miles.
I have actual factory wheels and tires for spares for my impala and DTS. It's expensive but it allows the five tire rotation.

I'm toying with with doing the same for my Cruze.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts