Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was poking around in my 2018 Cruze and noticed no glove box light. The hole is there to snap one in however the wiring is not there. I pulled the whole glove box out to make sure the harness wasn't hidden and it definitely is not there.

Did anyone's Cruze come with a glove box light?

I am going to retro fit one soon.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm, after studying the schematics I do not see it drawn out in them at all which leads me to believe it was never available therefore would be hard to retrofit. The light housing itself is probably easy but the on/off switch would be tougher without some kind of factory option. I don't feel like drilling holes / trial and error to fit a switch.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
You might want to check the parts list for a 2016 Gen 2.

With the Gen 1, the 2011 had a govebox light, but it got eliminated in the later years. There's none in my 2013 LTZ.

A glove box light isn't rocket science - you just need the part and a source of 12V power. Preferably one that will shutdown if the battery gets low. Or better yet - when the car goes to sleep.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You might want to check the parts list for a 2016 Gen 2.

With the Gen 1, the 2011 had a govebox light, but it got eliminated in the later years. There's none in my 2013 LTZ.

A glove box light isn't rocket science - you just need the part and a source of 12V power. Preferably one that will shutdown if the battery gets low. Or better yet - when the car goes to sleep.
I will check the 2nd gen 2016 schematics.

Yeah I understand it isn't rocket science. The part that turns me off is rigging up a switch so it isn't illuminated at all times either when the car is on or when the running lights are on. I would want it to only turn on when the glove box is opened hence the factory solution to the switch vs rigging one.

EDIT: Looked at 2nd gen 2016 schematics. It doesn't appear it was ever an option in NA for our cars lol. Why in the world did they punch out the big rectangular hole in the glove box for the light housing? Good ol' GM!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow. I went trough catalog photos and noticed the shine from the glove box light in one of them. Just recently i hard wired a dash cam and upgrade audio so i am positive mine (2018) does not have one. I'm in the same boat here. However, i thought this to be some local Chinese oddity, turns out that's a global snafu.
Long story short, i called the customer service and they told me they will refit it whenever i visit the shop next time. Didn't do it yet though.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. I went trough catalog photos and noticed the shine from the glove box light in one of them. Just recently i hard wired a dash cam and upgrade audio so i am positive mine (2018) does not have one. I'm in the same boat here. However, i thought this to be some local Chinese oddity, turns out that's a global snafu.
Long story short, i called the customer service and they told me they will refit it whenever i visit the shop next time. Didn't do it yet though.
Interested in how they do it. If you do get it done can you include part numbers for the lamp housing and more importantly the harness + switch?

Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
https://chevrolet.7zap.com/en/cruze/53458-2017/0-0-1883805333/0-1884905283-0-0/#14

I believe it is a pretty standard family part. The switch is included in the assembly. I couldn't find there to be any harness in my particular car nor could i spot any empty socket, so i am a little worried they will just splice it in somewhere and not using a OEM wiring harness. That linked site does mention a harness, though.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
https://chevrolet.7zap.com/en/cruze/53458-2017/0-0-1883805333/0-1884905283-0-0/#14

I believe it is a pretty standard family part. The switch is included in the assembly. I couldn't find there to be any harness in my particular car nor could i spot any empty socket, so i am a little worried they will just splice it in somewhere and not using a OEM wiring harness. That linked site does mention a harness, though.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out later.

Here's the top of my glove box.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out later.
Looks like you can get the part from Amazon for less than $10.

I know on the Gen 1, it included the switch, so that takes care of that concern. I'd only worry about the situation where someone leaves the door open and drains the battery. So, I'd want it switched but still have power when the car has been turned off but not yet asleep.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got the part too as I want to take the dash apart an see if the wire loom is tucked away in there.

Some Gen2 models indeed have this light. Not sure if gas models get these and diesels don't?

Screenshot of a Youtube cabin filter tutorial video on a Gen2 (2017) with a light

Part I'm going to retrofit

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. I wonder if it got deleted in 2018? Or if only Premier trim has it?

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like you can get the part from Amazon for less than $10.

I know on the Gen 1, it included the switch, so that takes care of that concern. I'd only worry about the situation where someone leaves the door open and drains the battery. So, I'd want it switched but still have power when the car has been turned off but not yet asleep.

Ahh yes the switch is integral with it. Awesome. There is in fact the hole for that switch to poke through on my assembly also.

Yes, I would personally probably just tie it into the power feed for the dome light circuit as that will time out after the cars off eventually and the BCM is real close to the glove box.

EDIT:
After taking a second look at the schematics for the 18' they list "Instrument panel compartment lamp" and it shows switched. I bet that's the glove box light.

If that is the glove box light then I will definitely tie it into the dome lamp feed circuit because that is how it's drawn up in the schematic.

Now to just figure out the part number for the connector!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ahh yes the switch is integral with it. Awesome. There is in fact the hole for that switch to poke through on my assembly also.

Yes, I would personally probably just tie it into the power feed for the dome light circuit as that will time out after the cars off eventually and the BCM is real close to the glove box.

EDIT:
After taking a second look at the schematics for the 18' they list "Instrument panel compartment lamp" and it shows switched. I bet that's the glove box light.

If that is the glove box light then I will definitely tie it into the dome lamp feed circuit because that is how it's drawn up in the schematic.

Now to just figure out the part number for the connector!
Please create a DIY if you get around to this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I'll get some pics of how I tackle it when I do it. I just need to figure out the connector part number so I can get that.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/137...-diy-glove-box-light-wiring-2013-32-73-a.html

I just did this installation. My 2018 has no harness tucked away. The light was removed a few years back and they eliminated the connector. I tapped into the power port to power up the light. It's a ignition switched circuit. Very satisfied with the install. Too bad GM got cheap on this.

Very nice. I was going to ask if this applied to the 2nd gen but I see yours IS a second gen. Thanks! I am going to order the plug / pins right now and it happens I already have the right crimper from working with Deutsch connectors daily!

·
Registered
263 Posts
It seems chevy kept the same light assembly from earlier cruze models. GEN 1 and GEN 2. I have some experience with these pins but I ordered three of them just incase I made a bad crimp. My crimping went perfect. It was harder removing the glove box, side panels and tapping into the power port connector. I used a LED bulb. Brighter and less amperage draw. The bulb is a T10 wedge base. AKA bulb # 168, 194, 2825.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,285 Posts
https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/137...-diy-glove-box-light-wiring-2013-32-73-a.html

I just did this installation. My 2018 has no harness tucked away. The light was removed a few years back and they eliminated the connector. I tapped into the power port to power up the light. It's a ignition switched circuit. Very satisfied with the install. Too bad GM got cheap on this.
What part number did you use and where did you find it? The one in the Gen I post seems to be no longer available.

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Our 2016.5 has it, I found out the hard way by burning my hand on it when removing the glove box to change the cabin filter. I'll check if out 2017 has it later today.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts