Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

541 - 560 of 587 Posts

·
Administrator
15,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #541
So, I learned something today, make sure you get that valve tight! (tighter than I did obviously, was worried about the rubber washer) I am assuming it's what has been chucking oil on the back of my engine. It (may) have been the intake manifold gasket, but judging by the amount found, I doubt it. Got about another 3/4 turn on it and installed a new gasket and reassembled. Time will tell if that fixed it. I am about 50/50 on the cause, either was very likely my fault.

Edit: Also bought a $20 ebay wireless boroscope so I can check it every once in awhile among other uses lol.

View attachment 283339
View attachment 283340
What oil have you been using?

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
What oil have you been using?

Dealership did it last when they replaced valve cover and resealed pan, so I would assume AC Delco synthetic. I changed it a couple of weeks ago with AmazonBasics synthetic. I think that's more than two weeks accumulation though. (It was slightly overfilled when I drained it, dealerships doing)

·
Administrator
15,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #543
Dealership did it last when they replaced valve cover and resealed pan, so I would assume AC Delco synthetic. I changed it a couple of weeks ago with AmazonBasics synthetic. I think that's more than two weeks accumulation though. (It was slightly overfilled when I drained it, dealerships doing)
Well it's not very oxidation stable. There's a lot of oil oxidation deposits in that PCV system. Just something to keep an eye on. Both are pretty low quality oils even if they do label themselves "Synthetic."

·
Registered
1 Posts
We don't have any CEL's right now, but we did get a few a couple of weeks ago for the PCV valve, we replaced the valve cover and the car is running fine. About 2 weeks ago now though it looks like there is now oil leaking from around the intake manifold. Is that common with the PCV issues? If I am going to have to pull the manifold off, I might as well do this at the same time, but I am wondering if the PCV issue can cause this as well.

·
Administrator
15,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #545
We don't have any CEL's right now, but we did get a few a couple of weeks ago for the PCV valve, we replaced the valve cover and the car is running fine. About 2 weeks ago now though it looks like there is now oil leaking from around the intake manifold. Is that common with the PCV issues? If I am going to have to pull the manifold off, I might as well do this at the same time, but I am wondering if the PCV issue can cause this as well.
Yes, when the PCV issues begin, oil consumption goes up. You'll see it pooled up inside the intake manifold.

·
Registered
99 Posts
YEAH!!!!! SUCCESS!!! THANKS ANDREI!!!!!

Just did the V2 fix on my 2012 cruze (95k miles original turbo, intake, valve cover, etc.) It's VT Tuned, but I kept getting the P0299 low boost code. If I removed the tune it had "ok" power with no codes.
My orange valve was still in the intake, wasn't gone, but I did the V2 anyway. It's a job but worth it. I also ordered the boost leak detector and found the hose clamp at the charge pipe to TB not tight enough.
It REALLY needs to be cranked on (almost to the point of the clamp breaking) to stop 22 PSI from leaking out.

Now she hauls A$$ with the tune again. I thought my turbo was dead.

Second Cruze I own 75k miles all original. Hooked up the boost tester and same thing, big leak at charge pipe to TB. Tighten clamp like crazy now passes leak test and has more power. I might go hunting for 2 HEAVY DUTY clamps.

Now a big question. If the orange intake valve is still there and I can hold boost on the leak tester, does that mean the valve is good for now?

·
Administrator
15,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #548
YEAH!!!!! SUCCESS!!! THANKS ANDREI!!!!!

Just did the V2 fix on my 2012 cruze (95k miles original turbo, intake, valve cover, etc.) It's VT Tuned, but I kept getting the P0299 low boost code. If I removed the tune it had "ok" power with no codes.
My orange valve was still in the intake, wasn't gone, but I did the V2 anyway. It's a job but worth it. I also ordered the boost leak detector and found the hose clamp at the charge pipe to TB not tight enough.
It REALLY needs to be cranked on (almost to the point of the clamp breaking) to stop 22 PSI from leaking out.

Now she hauls A$$ with the tune again. I thought my turbo was dead.

Second Cruze I own 75k miles all original. Hooked up the boost tester and same thing, big leak at charge pipe to TB. Tighten clamp like crazy now passes leak test and has more power. I might go hunting for 2 HEAVY DUTY clamps.

Now a big question. If the orange intake valve is still there and I can hold boost on the leak tester, does that mean the valve is good for now?
No because there's no pressure differential between both sides of that check valve. The boost leak tester when hooked up like my video shows tests for crankcase leaks also.

To test the check valve in the intake manifold for leaks, do the following:

1. Disconnect the corrugated hose
2. Hook up the boost leak tester
3. Spray soapy water into the pcv port where the corrugated hose is
4. Begin opening the valve on the boost leak tester

I've seen those check valves crack, I've seen them leak, I've seen them clog, and get gummed up with PCV deposits. I can excuse that poor design if it was externally serviceable, but it's not.

To test if it's opening correctly and allowing enough flow, you need to use a vacuum gauge measuring inches of water on the crankcase (you can squeeze 1/4" fuel hose into the dipstick hole for this) and verify it reads 11-18 inches of water vacuum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I apologize for that post. Needing help with v2 fix kit please. Leaking bad from intake manifold and smoking really bad. Crank seal whistle also. No whistle from camshaft cover? Oily gas in throttle body. Compression test on all 4 cylinders is good. Whats going on here? Any advice appreciated.

·
Administrator
15,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #554
I apologize for that post. Needing help with v2 fix kit please. Leaking bad from intake manifold and smoking really bad. Crank seal whistle also. No whistle from camshaft cover? Oily gas in throttle body. Compression test on all 4 cylinders is good. Whats going on here? Any advice appreciated.
Likely bad valve cover. Aftermarket? PCV failure can blow out the front main seal which will not always resolve itself. May need a new front main seal. Make sure the check valve is pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check valve is pointing toward throttle body drivers side direction. Correct? Where should i get camshaft/valve cover? Gm original part # ?

·
Administrator
15,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #556
Check valve is pointing toward throttle body drivers side direction. Correct? Where should i get camshaft/valve cover? Gm original part # ?
Correct. Toward throttle body. I got it on Amazon. Don't have the part number off hand. Just make sure it's genuine OEM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just installed the V2 Kit on my 2012 Cruze. This was my second PCV Valve failure in 100,000 miles. I was having a P0171 code when the PCV valve and valve cover blew. I just installed the V2 Kit and new valve cover. While installing the valve cover the bolt that is on the back corner near the passenger side was stripped and would not tighten (it had to of somehow been previously stripped because I was unable to hand tighten it) I decided to gamble and see if the valve gasket cover would seal with the one bolt not torqued down. My vehicle now is throwing a P0325(knock sensor), P0171(Lean), and P015B(O2 Sensor Delayed Response). Also, the throttle has a BAD delay when the engine is cold. (Pressing the pedal all the way down and not getting any respond at first) It is random.There is oil leaking now in that corner where the threads where stripped. Is this valve cover issue that I currently have throwing all those codes and creating the delay in the pedal, or did I installed the V2 Kit wrong, or possibly do anything wrong with the wires when I was reinstalling the intake manifold? Throttle Body?? I was possibly thinking of trying RTV sealant to help with the gasket leak. If anything could help, or have anything input it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmm, I just don't know where to start. Since the codes appeared after the install, I am thinking that replacing the knock sensor is not the root cause. The random severe throttle delay has me worried to.

541 - 560 of 587 Posts