Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

561 - 580 of 587 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
fix the stripped threads...that section is probably causing a boost leak and causing those codes. I'd bet money that if you did a boost leak test, youd have a leak right by the bolt

·
Registered
34 Posts
I`m still driving with the mushroom valve gone and it´s holes closed with epoxy. No problems what so ever, engine runs great… no oil consumption or leaks

·
Administrator
15,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
I`m still driving with the mushroom valve gone and it´s holes closed with epoxy. No problems what so ever, engine runs great… no oil consumption or leaks
You really ought to consider that there was a very good reason for GM placing that valve there in the first place and designing the whole valve cover to manage vacuum. Oil consumption is in fact increased even if you don't notice small changes.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
So, I learned something today, make sure you get that valve tight! (tighter than I did obviously, was worried about the rubber washer) I am assuming it's what has been chucking oil on the back of my engine. It (may) have been the intake manifold gasket, but judging by the amount found, I doubt it. Got about another 3/4 turn on it and installed a new gasket and reassembled. Time will tell if that fixed it. I am about 50/50 on the cause, either was very likely my fault.

Edit: Also bought a $20 ebay wireless boroscope so I can check it every once in awhile among other uses lol.

View attachment 283340
So after a bit of time, still have a small seepage in the bottom left corner. Installed a new fel pro gasket as well. I will attach a picture of where it’s coming from. What is the part circled in yellow circle, just an alignment piece? Leak seems to come almost right from it. Is this just expected from running a 20 PSI tune?

·
Administrator
15,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #565
So after a bit of time, still have a small seepage in the bottom left corner. Installed a new fel pro gasket as well. I will attach a picture of where it’s coming from. What is the part circled in yellow circle, just an alignment piece? Leak seems to come almost right from it. Is this just expected from running a 20 PSI tune?

View attachment 283904
I dont think so. I've had no leaks even while boost leak testing at 30psi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi guys. greetings from Lithuania.
got problems with my encore with the same 1.4t engine. so first time i got problems with valve cover leaking, changed, run few months it blowed up again, after that i found info in this cruzetalk forum that i need to check membrane in inlet manifold, so there was no membrane in mine manifold, changed with another from 2016 encore with 15k miles. by the way i checked hose from turbo to inlet, valve works fine one way blows in another no.
after that i started to hear whistling sound from the front of engine, crankcase seal was failing, changed this too.
changed evap purge valve because of little leaking while it must be closed. but after these repairs,problem with p0171 still there.

another problem maybe no, when i pull out an oil dipstick there is very strong air sucking. its normal in these engines?

·
Administrator
15,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
and when i remove turbo hose from inlet there is always vacuum sucking in all various rpms its good? i posted two videos on youtube, links below.
vacuum
vacuum in inlet
Update : i plugged in my diagnostic tool so there you can see my system is too lean, uploaded video in youtube, link below
obd readings
There should always be a vacuum on the crankcase. Have you replace the corrugated hose? It tends to crack. You have a vacuum leak somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Everything is fine with this hose.
yes, i know that there must be vacuum, but not too strong like in minei think. Have you watched video that i posted? its hard to take of an oil cap.
today i was lucky to catch a guy with the same car, so looked what is the vacuum pressure in his car, there was just a little vacuum suction from dipstick and oil cap.
so i think i got problem with my valve cover membrane, it is not regulating vacuum pressure in engine.
disassembled an old valve cover membrane, pushed it down to close channel above. so after that i was unable to suck air from the hole in the middle back where vacuum in manifold is sucking air from engine.
so i think there is my problem....

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, today I've removed again the intake manifold to change the gasket because I've observed small oil leaks around the gasket after installed the v2 kit.
After removing the intake, a small amount of oil leaked from the intake. Is this normal? Or is this because my old gasket wasn't holding the pressure and messed up the oil separation?

·
Administrator
15,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #571
So, today I've removed again the intake manifold to change the gasket because I've observed small oil leaks around the gasket after installed the v2 kit.
After removing the intake, a small amount of oil leaked from the intake. Is this normal? Or is this because my old gasket wasn't holding the pressure and messed up the oil separation?
It's normal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ordered the kit. I want to be ready when this happens, and I don't want to try to find all of the pieces myself. I may even do it as a preventative measure because I hate it when oil leaks all over everything.

Thank you, XR, for putting this all together.
I like to keep all of my stuff clean. I would like to do it as a preventative also

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just had to order a V1 kit, spacer, Valve cover and crankshaft seal. Found oil in the spark plugs, evidently the squeaky noise is the missing o-ring on the PCV. If I do the kit will I have to figure out how to still deal with the PCV o-ring? Will the Crankshaft seal need replacing? Is the noise from the PCV area, because it sounds like it is near the main pulley.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Member so not sure if this is a new post or a reply. Sorry if it is a reply. Tried to order V2 kit but site seems to only offer kit to Canadian or US residents and I'm in Australia. Is this right?

Secondly I would like to understand kit better. My car is sucking air through vent in cam cover plus past crankshaft seal (squeals near belt). I replaced cam cover and after a blast around the block the new one had ruptured the diaphram and was sucking air too.Looked in hole for tube to turbo but so black with oil couldnt see any orange rubber flap nipple/valve but tried cleaning four times but still couldnt see nipple but also couldnt see any hole.

I will assume that Intake manifold PCV valve is not there and sucked out into engine/turbo. I need to understand how blocking hole for original PCV valve and installing even larger external plumbing/ valve will help? Seems that I have excessive vaccum now because it is sucking VERY heavily through rocker cover AND crankshaft seal. The original valve has only a LITTLE hole in the manifold but bypass kit has very big tube and one way valve. Shouldn't this give even MORE vacuum hence even more pressure on cam cover valve diaphragm and crankshaft seal????? The only answer I can think of is that when Std intake valve dissapears it allows excessive crankcase high pressure under BOOST conditions that ruptures diaphragm and seal so that under vacuum at idle they leak.BTW blowing into tube to turbo seems to allow easy passage so I assume it is not blocked.

Anyone know if this is the scenario??? and if so how to get Kit in Australia or at least the appropriate one way valve?? Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh, you mean the check valve from my kit. Got it. Yeah, I'd clean those periodically as well. The valve will probably last a long time, but enough build-up will eventually cause it to stop working. Just the nature of PCV valves.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
So couldnt you come off the 90 degree bend under the manifold with a hose and place the valve higher in an accessible position for maintenance using a long hose?

·
Administrator
15,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #576
So couldnt you come off the 90 degree bend under the manifold with a hose and place the valve higher in an accessible position for maintenance using a long hose?
Sure, if you found a way to mount that check valve. It's kind of heavy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had this thought too and right away started looking for a secure way to mount the valve. Don't want it bouncing and constantly putting load on the T connector at the brake booster vacuum connection. I am going to explore this further as I anticipate running this car for quite a while yet and would like this new valve more accessible. I totally appreciate XR's attention to detail and aesthetics with this mod. I won't be making any routing changes unless I feel it also looks good when finished.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I like to keep all of my stuff clean. I would like to do it as a preventative also
I ordered mine about 3 years ago, but I haven't installed it yet. Maybe I will get to it this winter. I know it's just a matter of time until the original check valve fails.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had this thought too and right away started looking for a secure way to mount the valve. Don't want it bouncing and constantly putting load on the T connector at the brake booster vacuum connection. I am going to explore this further as I anticipate running this car for quite a while yet and would like this new valve more accessible. I totally appreciate XR's attention to detail and aesthetics with this mod. I won't be making any routing changes unless I feel it also looks good when finished.
I installed the kit this past weekend. Spent about 4 hours on the car including replacing the cam cover and vac hose that runs from the turbo to the intake manifold just above the missing flapper valve. I looked for an easier to service place to put the pcv valve and could find none that I felt comfortable with. no good and good looking way to do it.
Thanks XR for putting the kit together.

561 - 580 of 587 Posts