Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

681 - 700 of 748 Posts

·
Administrator
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
I ordered mine yesterday with next day shipping but haven’t got a email verification yet
Check your spam/bulk folder, the emails are sent automatically. Your order did come through and will be shipped out today.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. So I started having a p0171 and 1101 codes and oil leaking from the oil plug, as well as rough idle.. I used the v3 kit and replaced the valve cover. the idle is better but the 0171 code persists. Also after driving for a a 700 mile road trip, smelled oil burning again, and it's leaking from all over. Looks like it's spitting from the oil plug. I followed the instructions for the fix kit but it seems there is now even more pressure blocking something. Please help! I'm not sure what to check next.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,430 Posts
Hey guys. So I started having a p0171 and 1101 codes and oil leaking from the oil plug, as well as rough idle.. I used the v3 kit and replaced the valve cover. the idle is better but the 0171 code persists. Also after driving for a a 700 mile road trip, smelled oil burning again, and it's leaking from all over. Looks like it's spitting from the oil plug. I followed the instructions for the fix kit but it seems there is now even more pressure blocking something. Please help! I'm not sure what to check next.
Yes, your seals have probably went bad before the kit was installed due to boost pressure making it in. I had to replace my crankshaft seal, both cam seals, and have oil pan resealed twice. I would clean the engine up real good with dawn dish soap and water, or brake cleaner and try and see where the leak/s are coming from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2014 Cruze here, 133k (bought with 18k) that's leaking oil from the turbocharger cartridge. Before anyone says "PCV!!!!" I get it, that horse is dead, I'm a believer. I purchased the V2.1 kit and am in the process of installing it however my question is on the head side of things. The port coming out of the head to the IM has a gunk buildup in it. I figured the best way to clean was use brake cleaner, a brush/flat head to scrape it away. How visible should that port be? Should I be able to see into the head a little ways? Is it detrimental if someone of that gunk falls back into the head? On to the IM side, the little orange nipple is visible however the ports around it are gunked over. If I push that nipple out to install the V2.1 kit, where does it go? Does the motor get an unhealthy snack or does it fall into the reservoir box on the bottom of the IM? Lastly, on top the leaking turbocharger cartridge. By adding this kit, and relieving the pressure, in your (whomever is reading at the time) opinion, would the leak stop with the excess pressure buildup gone or should I start looking up replacement TC's?

·
Administrator
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #685
2014 Cruze here, 133k (bought with 18k) that's leaking oil from the turbocharger cartridge. Before anyone says "PCV!!!!" I get it, that horse is dead, I'm a believer. I purchased the V2.1 kit and am in the process of installing it however my question is on the head side of things. The port coming out of the head to the IM has a gunk buildup in it. I figured the best way to clean was use brake cleaner, a brush/flat head to scrape it away. How visible should that port be? Should I be able to see into the head a little ways? Is it detrimental if someone of that gunk falls back into the head? On to the IM side, the little orange nipple is visible however the ports around it are gunked over. If I push that nipple out to install the V2.1 kit, where does it go? Does the motor get an unhealthy snack or does it fall into the reservoir box on the bottom of the IM? Lastly, on top the leaking turbocharger cartridge. By adding this kit, and relieving the pressure, in your (whomever is reading at the time) opinion, would the leak stop with the excess pressure buildup gone or should I start looking up replacement TC's?
Which port are you referring to? Send me some pictures via text and I can help answer. 219.779.77 four two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the help dude! In regards to the turbo cartridge, will the V2.1 help fix that? My mechanic mind says no, seals are already compromised, its time to replace, however my hopeful mind says it should be fine now that pressure has been relieved.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,430 Posts
What makes you think the turbo seal is leaking oil?

Reactions: Diamond193

·
Registered
5 Posts
The point where the cartridge connects to the exhaust housing seeps oil.it isn't the banjo bolt on the feed line, i replaced the gasket/washers and its good. After cleaning the front of the motor off, then driving it, there was a thin bead of oil coming from the previously mentioned area under the V-Band clamp.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,430 Posts
Sure it’s not dripping on it from the oil cooler above? If not, yeah I think you’d need a new turbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sure it’s not dripping on it from the oil cooler above? If not, yeah I think you’d need a new turbo.
The cooler and return line were my first to guesses however after cleaning the engine off and test driving, I couldn't see any leaks from those two pieces yet I still saw a seeping come from the band clamp, it was pooling off the return line and dripping onto the cat. BTW, I mainly drive this to work and back (216mile round trip at highway speeds and I use AmsOil with mobil1 filters).

·
Registered
2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT
3 Posts
Argh, I want to do the PCV fix on my car, but it's actually rather hard to decide which one to buy: the V2.1 or the V3. For ease of installation, I could go for V3, but for more peace of mind, I could do the V2.1 since I could clean the intake manifold in the process. Knowing me, I'll forget where certain screws and bolts go to, so I may just do the V3, but then I'd be left in the dark on the condition of my manifold.. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,430 Posts
Argh, I want to do the PCV fix on my car, but it's actually rather hard to decide which one to buy: the V2.1 or the V3. For ease of installation, I could go for V3, but for more peace of mind, I could do the V2.1 since I could clean the intake manifold in the process. Knowing me, I'll forget where certain screws and bolts go to, so I may just do the V3, but then I'd be left in the dark on the condition of my manifold.. :unsure:
I was pretty nervous doing it, I had just gotten the car, I labeled everything with tape and arranged the bolts on the floor with parts, etc. But honestly I didn't need to label, I remembered where everything went. Had it off a few more times since then once to replace the gasket and didn't label those times. Took only a few hours to do the install.

Reactions: dhn1993

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I was pretty nervous doing it, I had just gotten the car, I labeled everything with tape and arranged the bolts on the floor with parts, etc.
I've done similar things doing intakes and oil pans. On one project (not a 1.4T), I took an empty cardboard box, and poked holes in it, in the same pattern as the intake, to hold all the bolts. Seems like there are typically 15-20 identical bolts and 3 or 4 odd sized or shaped bolts that must go back in their special locations, and having them properly arranged really helps.

I also take lots of pics during disassembly. It helps avoid lots of guesswork during re-assembly :)

Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK. So two years with an engine light. I replaced spark plugs, valve cover, O2 sensor and Mass airflow sensor and some other stuff I am likely forgetting. I suppose the only thing left to replace is the intake manifold, with the well known pcv valve issue. I know this isn't the psychic forum, but what are my chances this will do the trick? Not sure why I am hesitating. It just looks like it wouldn't be so easy to change out. I found a product to install. it costs a hair more than a new intake plus the JB Weld kit that a clever problem solver put out there on his website. All do credit to him, I'd prefer a complete bolt-on solution. It just seems cleaner, than getting involved with JB Weld and such, as clever and effective this may be. Has anyone tried this solution below?

It would be nice to have a testimonial...

Cruze 2014 1.4L Manual (stick shift snob)

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,430 Posts
I believe that is still a stock manifold that is susceptible to the pcv issue. Just new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I finally got round to installing my v3 fix kit, all the hoses went together really well.
Got the old PCV valve out and cleaned the whole area up, did a trial run and the little cap went in fine, so mixed up the epoxy, let it start going off.
When I tried to get the clip in the hole it wouldn’t go all they way in, I checked the hole was clear with a right angled pick and it was fine, tried again with a little bit more force and the screwdriver slipped and the clip pinged backwards out of sight, que a lot of cursing and swearing!!
So despite me buying this kit to save me having to take the inlet off, I ended up taking it off!
Found the plastic clip inside as I took it off, which promptly got thrown in the bushes and got a screw with a nice big head on it, epoxied it up and screwed it into the hole.

Took the throttle body off and took the old PCV valve out which was in perfect condition, so it must have been the holes we’re getting caked up and it wasn’t sealing properly.

Quick tip, an 8mm 6 sided socket fits E10 sockets perfectly.

Been and checked it all this evening in the engine bay and the hoses look like they’re starting to squash and go flat, especially now they’re hot, I can do it very easily with my fingers.
I don’t know what they’re like under high boost or vacuum, but just at tick over they’re pulling in. 🤔

Also the hose on the evap purge Y weren't a tight fit like the others and I had to squeeze the clamps a little so they gripped the hose tight.

Happy with the end result though.

One thing I did notice was how much the ecu was making the turbo boost harder to compensate for the boost leak through the PCV, so once it was all fixed the engine felt very sedate compared to before.

I do need to ziptie the hoses down as they’re currently loose.

·
Administrator
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #698
So I finally got round to installing my v3 fix kit, all the hoses went together really well.
Got the old PCV valve out and cleaned the whole area up, did a trial run and the little cap went in fine, so mixed up the epoxy, let it start going off.
When I tried to get the clip in the hole it wouldn’t go all they way in, I checked the hole was clear with a right angled pick and it was fine, tried again with a little bit more force and the screwdriver slipped and the clip pinged backwards out of sight, que a lot of cursing and swearing!!
So despite me buying this kit to save me having to take the inlet off, I ended up taking it off!
Found the plastic clip inside as I took it off, which promptly got thrown in the bushes and got a screw with a nice big head on it, epoxied it up and screwed it into the hole.

Took the throttle body off and took the old PCV valve out which was in perfect condition, so it must have been the holes we’re getting caked up and it wasn’t sealing properly.

Quick tip, an 8mm 6 sided socket fits E10 sockets perfectly.

Been and checked it all this evening in the engine bay and the hoses look like they’re starting to squash and go flat, especially now they’re hot, I can do it very easily with my fingers.
I don’t know what they’re like under high boost or vacuum, but just at tick over they’re pulling in.

Also the hose on the evap purge Y weren't a tight fit like the others and I had to squeeze the clamps a little so they gripped the hose tight.

Happy with the end result though.

One thing I did notice was how much the ecu was making the turbo boost harder to compensate for the boost leak through the PCV, so once it was all fixed the engine felt very sedate compared to before.

I do need to ziptie the hoses down as they’re currently loose.

View attachment 287114
Those OE valves do get caked up pretty badly. I've had a few people lose that clip trying to push it in only to find out that the old valve was still there and held in by the caked up deposits.

The hose might compress a little under vacuum but it shouldn't be bad. If it's an issue, I can send you some replacement hose as it isn't supposed to compress much if at all. Mine hasn't compressed any and I even heated it up to over 220F to check. The hose is under about 18 in-hg of vacuum at idle and decel which is quite a lot, and that's why you can squeeze it by hand. As soon as you accelerate or cruise, the vacuum reduces significantly and the hose should remain the same shape. As long as the hose returns to its original shape once the car is turned off, you're fine. Getting it ziptied down will help as well.

If you end up having any issues with that hose, let me know and I'll send a replacement section. I did have a few rolls that were a little too tightly wound from the factory and were a little oval in shape. Some kits got sent out with that hose before I started returning it as defective, so that might be the case with your car.

Everything looks good otherwise.

·
Registered
2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT
3 Posts
Well, you folks made me swallow my fear and I went ahead to buy the V2.1 kit and a spare manifold gasket in the process. Now I just need to buy or borrow a drill and a hair dryer and filer and I believe everything will be set. I've also prepared a list of curse words and rage sentences to yell out when the time is right, since we all know GM makes things more complicated than they really should.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So after a short while of the car performing like new again, its started play up, surging as the boost comes and goes cutting in and out, sometimes boost not coming on at all and I've had the underboost code several times.

I have checked all the hoses and all joints seem fine.
However when checking the one way valve I took the hose off and there was a lot of oil in the pipe, what could be causing this?
Also this evening whilst sitting in the car clearing the fault codes I put my foot on the brake and the pedal went straight to the floor, it did this several times, if I gave it a quick rev there was pressure in the pedal again so it seems there is a vacuum leak?

It is still drawing air through, I think, the main crank seal causing the squeaking or the sound of air being sucked, but it only does this when the aircon is on, which is strange. If I pull the dipstick it stops and if I squeeze the small air hose it will also stop the squeak.

Any Ideas?

681 - 700 of 748 Posts