Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[h=2]General Motors to replace key engine parts to stop oil leaks that caused over 1,300 car fires.[/h]
http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2015/11/11/gm-government-actions-questioned-in-car-fire-recalls

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
So Mary Barra's leadership team is still cleaning up after the pre-bankruptcy GM leadership.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, 1978 Cadillac Fleetwood is long long gone, already was a pile of rust in around 1983 with that infamous GM rear rope seal.

1982 454 CID poured engine oil like crazy on top of those super red hot exhaust manifolds, from that stupid cork gasket, ironically, no engine fires. Fel-Pro and I fixed that, without any help from GM. Ten second warranty was already up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wait, more 3.8 recalls? Most are probably rotted out anyway!
That 3800 was a beauty of an engine though. I have had 4 cars with that engine and never had a mechanical engine issue. I had 170k, 270k, 155k and 220k mileage on them when sold/traded in. LIM gaskets are about the only things I saw as being a weak point but I never encountered that issue in any of mine.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
That 3800 was a beauty of an engine though. I have had 4 cars with that engine and never had a mechanical engine issue. I had 170k, 270k, 155k and 220k mileage on them when sold/traded in. LIM gaskets are about the only things I saw as being a weak point but I never encountered that issue in any of mine.
I completely agree. We inherited a 87 Buick with the Series 1 3800 in 2002-ish and it still ran like a brand new car despite having sat mostly unused for many years. Torque monster of an engine.

Just seems crazy that they'll be replacing these, but it's great to see them standing behind their old products.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Ditto. My 02 Impala had 268,000 miles on the original engine AND LIM gaskets before it finally starting leaking, and I beat the **** out of that car.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ditto. My 02 Impala had 268,000 miles on the original engine AND LIM gaskets before it finally starting leaking, and I beat the **** out of that car.
We had an 02 Impala too. Sold it to my brother-in-law who drove it well over 200k and traded it on a Cruze just last year.

Reactions: chevrasaki

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
Mom had an Oldsmobile...something or other...when I was a teenager. That engine was seriously fun to drive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
3.8 litre series 1 is an awesome engine, drove 1993 Pontiac Bonneville. It has plenty of power. LIM Gasket leaked and it was replaced under warranty. After that, never had a problem going over 200K. Miss that car.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a 1997 olds 88 ls w/ the 3.8 series 2 engine she runs good but the body is rusting away badly. she is my winter car & local car around town too. I'm getting rid of her after this winter had her for 5 years :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just had my cruze in for a turbo feed line leaking not warranty trans cooler lines starting to leak not warranty but i sure would like to know why a dealer can not tell you if a item is warranty or not without ripping you off when they know if its warranty or not but need tech to look at what you just told them the problem

·
2,170 Posts
And here I was stuck with the 3.1L V6. Just once, I want the fastest version of the model car I'm driving. For example. The Grand Prix GTP was much faster than my SE. The Cobalt SS was much faster than my 2LT. Even the Cruze I got, The Eco is faster than my 1LT. The diesel is probably faster too. And even the Australians get a faster 1.6L turbo. One day I swear I will have to top trim model and dominate all others that are the same.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
And here I was stuck with the 3.1L V6. Just once, I want the fastest version of the model car I'm driving. For example. The Grand Prix GTP was much faster than my SE. The Cobalt SS was much faster than my 2LT. Even the Cruze I got, The Eco is faster than my 1LT. The diesel is probably faster too. And even the Australians get a faster 1.6L turbo. One day I swear I will have to top trim model and dominate all others that are the same.
I had the 1997 grand prix se with the upgraded 3.8L. Car full of people would do 0-60 in 7 seconds.

·
2,170 Posts
My mother had an '08 Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3L V8. Though it was FWD it was still a powerhouse, you just had to make sure you kept it pointing in the right direction. The torque steer was unreal. But on the highway at 80 mph the engine would bumble around at 1800 rpm until some show off turns up and in one simple mash of the pedal WHOOSH you were miles ahead. I miss that car so much, and I know my mother does too. She took it to those quick change oil places and we believe they only put 5 of the 6 quarts required in and eventually it caused engine damage. She traded it for the new '15 Chrysler 200 V6 which she hates.

Reactions: money_man

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just had my cruze in for a turbo feed line leaking not warranty trans cooler lines starting to leak not warranty but i sure would like to know why a dealer can not tell you if a item is warranty or not without ripping you off when they know if its warranty or not but need tech to look at what you just told them the problem
That is how its done, been this way since the Model A. Normally you bring in your Car, sign for an authorization to look at your car @ the normal hourly shop rate, and if a problem under warranty is found they fix it. They generally don't "rip you off" if you are covered? Perhaps you should try a different service provider as the G.M. warranty is quite comprehensive!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think they should tell you if its warranty or not on a known problem. its not like they have never seen a bad one before or a anti freeze leak without charging you 100.00 to look at it when you stand there and point to the leak that's a rip off in my yes and billfold

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Nice to see them try to restore faith not only to customers but to car enthusiasts. I think there is a lot of lost of faith out there with car professionals and enthusiasts that they have to start to get back.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts