Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

GM appears to have changed the timing belt interval.

48K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  obermd 
Is there a removable top portion of the belt cover? Should be easy to inspect it there to see if it really needs to be replaced.

Isn't that just the gas water pump? I don't think the extended warranty applies to the diesels.
The water pump should be covered under the 100k powertrain warranty, yes?

Yeah. The 1.4s have a 10 yr/150k warranty on it because they go out. All. The. Time.
So the special warranty coverage - much like the CTDs have on the DEF heater/reservoir.

Transmission fluid should be changed every 45K, even in the diesels.
I'd say especially on the diesel. From all the reading I've done (and I'm sure my eventual physical evidence when I get around to doing it), that **** comes out black.

When I changed my axle last year in the Cobalt, at 115k miles, the (original) fluid coming out was still red and pretty. Amazing how one generation really can change things - pretty sure the 6-speeds and up don't have the big (typical) trans filter my 4T45 does. My buddy has been changing his Fusion's trans fluid about every 30k miles (shared 6-speed design between GM and Ford), and every 30k it's already black.

Reactions: Rivergoer
I kind of wonder if transmission fluid has changed. My son recently sold his college car a 2005 Pontiac Vibe, had a Toyota engine transmission, bought it with 79k miles four years ago, sold it recently with 151k and we changed the transmission fluid three times under our ownership, it was black every time. I was changing it about every 25k miles.

I guess my question is, when it's black does that mean the fluid is worn out? I dunno. Some have their engine oil analyzed just wonder if anyone does that with transmission fluid?

Just for the record, my ctd transmission has some weird shifts, but I have to say, I really don't like transmissions with no dip stick, that's just a stupid idea.
I was under the impression it was because of the lack of the large filter that auto transmissions have always had. They have a small internal one, but it's nothing you can change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.