Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hunting for a Cruze. I've been looking at 2014 2LT and LTZ models. I understand the added warranty that GM Certified brings, but is it worth the extra cost I seem to be running into? If I get something certified that's already at 25k miles, I'm gonna get about 23k miles warranty. If I get something with 10k miles, I'll get about 26k miles warranty. One sales person said most dealers do all the other 150ish point inspections anyway, and by law have to replace brakes and tires after a certain percentage of wear. So other than a few few oil changes, are you getting anything other than the extended warranty?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
It is my understanding the certification makes the bumper to bumper warranty 4 years or 48k miles so I think that does add value in my opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of. The dealer told me that the 12mo/12,000 mile kicks in when the original 36mo or 36,000 mile is reached. So if you have a car that's only 12 months in and at 25,000 miles, you'll never see 4 years.

It is my understanding the certification makes the bumper to bumper warranty 4 years or 48k miles so I think that does add value in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Well I wouldn't purchase a 14 with 25,000 miles. I would look for one with 10k miles or less. I have purchased cars like that for a long time. In many cases you can end up with more bumper to bumper miles than a new car.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I purchased one of my previous cars (03 Grand Prix GTP) as a GM Certified and quite honestly I didn't see any benefit. The window switch broke the day I test drove it (window wouldn't roll back up) so the dealer fixed that, and then I used the warranty to have the HVAC blower resister replaced. was hardly worth paying extra for. Supposedly the Certified cars go through multi-point inspections, blah blah...I don't really believe it. I'd just look for a lower milage used one and not worry about it being "Certified" or not.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I bought my Eco Certified Pre-Owned, but I got a really good price on it.

CPO LS automatics were higher priced than my Eco. The salesman explained that the dealership simply doesn't like manual transmission cars in their inventory.Seems to be true because there are virtually no manual transmissions in their new car inventory. (Camaro and Corvette....no Sparks, Sonics, or Cruzes with manual)

The good thing about CPO is that any defects have probably have surfaced and been addressed already. It appears that all the updates were done as well.

The bad thing is that they often are pricey. BMW is particularly high. I've personally seen CPO BMWs within $1000 of a brand new similar model.

I actually don't really care about the 4 free oil changes. I have to go out of my way to schedule that and if I want to use something else that doesn't have the GM Dexos licensing but meets or exceeds every Dexos spec, I have to buy it and then they have it on record that I didn't use their oil.

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
The good thing about CPO is that any defects have probably have surfaced and been addressed already.
Hopefully. :)

As for the low-mileage cars, one has to ask why it's on the lot. Sometimes people's situation changes. Sometimes's it's an estate sale. But other times, you might be proving the adage of buying someone else's problem.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I always request for Chevrolet dealer to disclose if the car has been serviced at any dealer. In my area there are many cars that are driven by gm executives and then sent to auction with less than 7500 miles. I would gather those gm executive cars are well cared for.

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
Yeah, there's some here that get loaned out for a prestigious golf tournament then sold as dealer demos.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
So far with my GM Card, watching for bonuses, rebates, special sales events, been able to buy a brand new one cheaper than anything on the used up car lot. Last Memorial Day was offering 20% off on a new Cruze, was a year or so ago, $5,000 off a diesel. Still a supply and demand market. Labor Day is usually when the big sales go on.

With a used vehicle, warranty is worthless unless you get the full service records, other little problems like getting two remotes. So called safety inspections vary by state, in Wisconsin, as long as the brake linings are about 1/16" thick, considered safe, have to look. Also look for the wear on the tires, tells you how it was driven.

In brief, buyer beware. Then is there anything on the lot you will be happy with? A lot depends on the economy, ha, getting emails from Honda dealers, never thought I would see this happen for super sales. But when I drive past my Honda dealer, way over flooded with brand new vehicles.

In my history, never seen replacement parts cost as outrageous as they are today. Seen my own stuff at the dealers that cost us about a buck to manufacture with a dealers price of a 150 bucks. Outrageous, even doing all the work yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts