Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Hey, it's Forbes. They have a great record of inaccuracy on things technical. I'd take the article with a salt block. They utilize independent "contributors" who usually have a great deal of bias and their articles present information to support only one point, their own. I'm not saying this guy is wrong on his conclusions, but it's one person's opinion. Back to the block of salt.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
The answer lies in how the "new" GM repeats over and over again the same things that the "old" GM did.

It's a parallel of the famous quote: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."

However, with GM, it's: "Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."

·
Registered
718 Posts
Another bullshit article from Forbes.

Old GM's mantra was to hold onto marketshare even if it meant giving away cars at a loss.

New GM has so far held the line on having firesales to get rid of inventory meaning more profit per sale. Everybody else around here from Nissan to Ford is offering employee pricing and 0% financing. GM is only doing the 0% financing. The author wants GM to concentrate on marketshare but doing so at this point in time would result in much lower profit margins. Seems to me making more money per sale is the better strategy long term.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
This article was widely debunked as "I think GM's going to crash and burn because I don't like the new Malibu". This coming from a writer who likely wouldn't deign to be seen in a Cadillac since it's not exclusive enough.

Reactions: rustinn and obermd

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
GM was the worlds largest vehicle manufacturer, going to second place to Toyota during their bankruptcy, but regaining that title again in January of this year.

During the great depression, over 3,500 car manufacturers bit the dust, but today for collectors those are the most valuable cars. So if GM should bites the dust as Frobes predicts, in 50-80 years, your Cruze will be very valuable.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GM was the worlds largest vehicle manufacturer, going to second place to Toyota during their bankruptcy, but regaining that title again in January of this year.

During the great depression, over 3,500 car manufacturers bit the dust, but today for collectors those are the most valuable cars. So if GM should bites the dust as Frobes predicts, in 50-80 years, your Cruze will be very valuable.

Hahaha, I guess that's one way to look at it! Who's going to service all the GM/Chevy automobiles though if they go under?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Hahaha, I guess that's one way to look at it! Who's going to service all the GM/Chevy automobiles though if they go under?
The same independent mechanics that are servicing all of the other automobiles made by defunct companies. And just like Chevy dealership service departments, there will be good ones and wretched ones.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The same independent mechanics that are servicing all of the other automobiles made by defunct companies. And just like Chevy dealership service departments, there will be good ones and wretched ones.
Wasn't it those independent mechanics who got Chevy in this whole recall mess to begin with though? lol

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
The answer lies in how the "new" GM repeats over and over again the same things that the "old" GM did.

It's a parallel of the famous quote: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."

However, with GM, it's: "Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."

I think Ackerson has to go! He has been a disaster! He's NO car guy! I read about GMs problem the other day also and it wasn't in Forbes! There is NO doubt that we/they are in a mess- us because of our money in their stock that isn't going anywhere!

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
The government isn't going to let Chevy fold. There are a handful of companies out there that will never collapse, no matter how bad things get. If you let one of the big 3 auto manufacturers go, one of the founding pillars of this country, people will lose faith in America. You have millions of manufacturers out there that make aftermarket alternators and air conditioning components for Chevy. You are not only closing a company, you are taking away hundreds of millions of dollars from companies like Beck/Arnley and Bendix and so forth.

It would be a harsh blow to society as we know it. Wells Fargo is another one, AT&T is another. Alexander Graham Bell started AT&T. Wells Fargo began in the 1800s. These start to faulter and America will lose faith in their country which could lead into a downward spiral. Like losing one of the 12 federal reserve banks.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
First off GM will never fold, they are far too entwined with the economy as a whole. HOWEVER i don't think GM will ever make alot of money again until they get the UAW in check. I mean come on, there are people making $80.00 an hour sticking emblems to a car, that should be a minimum wage job

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Wasn't it those independent mechanics who got Chevy in this whole recall mess to begin with though? lol
Bam!:tank: lol.

Reactions: Starks8

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Working in this field as an electronic designer gives a different aspect to the problems facing automotive manufacturers. Really can't do what you feel is best, but have to answer to the many different government agencies formed since the early 70's. If these federal agencies are not enough, also have the laws of 50 different states to comply to.

Are told what kind of materials to use, the kind of fuel you have to burn, the kind of refrigerant you have to use, the kind of fluids you have to use, the kind of fuel economy and emission standards you have to follow. Have to report to government agents that could never make it in private industry. They are the ones with the high paychecks, best health insurance, and the best retirement getting 75% of their base pay at the young age of 55 years old.

They don't have to warranty their demands, nor show a profit, most are extremely arrogant. In reading government produced examples of specifications, just try to make heads or tails of our IRS with their over 13,000 pages of regulations and over one thousand different forms. Note the number of sentences with either double or triple negatives. Come home with a migraine headache trying to make sense of these regulations to follow.

Get that from one end and making a profit from the other.

Some key events that ring a strong bell was the elimination of solvents in all products and manufacturing that occurred in the mid 70's. Words like biodegradable came into effect. Trichloroethane was banned, have no idea how DuPont got around that in the early 90's, trichloroethane is required in the manufacture of R-134a, that new environment friendly refrigerant that is now blamed for global warming. Was done overnight, causing migraine headaches for the AC guys. Plus the drastic expense for all new production equipment and methods. Tube and fin condensers were out, simple to manufacture and far more reliable than the parallel flow condensers and evaporators.

Oh, all paints had to be water based, but the technology wasn't quite there yet. Also in the early 80's the banning of electroplating, required for switch and connector contacts, no more plating of individual strands of wire, switch and electrical contacts were either bare brass or copper. Some of the higher priced vehicles used the good old tungsten contacts. Not only a problem for warranty, but a major problem for the consumer.

One of the worse devices forced to use is the microprocessor required as the only technology to meet emission standards. To save on cost, consumer grade processors are used. Wasn't to bad with PROM where the code is permanently burnt into the chip, but replaced in 1995 with flashram.

An engineer could get away from all these regulations by working for a government contractor, but that wasn't so hot either. First off working for the lowest bidder, while salary was based on a 40 hour week, expected to put in 120 hours a week. And once that contract was completed, back on the street again faced with moving expenses. When gold was fixed at 35 bucks an ounce, we could use that, only a few microns thick, but Nixon changed all that. Gold is the only element immuned to corrosion. Now strictly for speculators.

Government should bail these companies out, key reason for the problems facing the manufacturers. Was never there to help solve problems, just fine or shut you down. Key reason for exporting all of our jobs, north side of the Mexican border, not permitted, but just across the river, everything was okay. Started with that, then the Japanese, now China.

Just some reasons why we are in the boat we are in today. Have a bunch of idiots running this country. For this coming election, again, not really a good choice. SOS, same old stuff or that other word.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
IIRC it wasn't all due to non-dealership oil changes. I think CrispyCruze's flame out was after a dealership oil change. And there was the one where the smoking shop rag wrapped around the oil filter base was also a dealership oil change. I stand by my earlier statement that there are good ones and bad ones on both sides of auto servicing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What a crap article (not the share, but the author!!)

It seemed more like a review on Malibu rather than a company review in itself. He kept on talking about how GM might not make money on the Malibu - but what about their other 'smaller car initiatives' like Sonic, no mention about that part of the automotive sector (that's ever-so-growing now) etc. Not sure how "ONE" car can solely construct a devastating image for the entire company.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
This same crackpot has also blasted hybrids and EVs of all types. Basically he hates the American car industry specifically and any advanced automotive technology in general.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.