Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

141 - 160 of 200 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Can't be measured by the average Joe. Would take a lot of time and R&D for engineers to prove this let alone the buyer. Let's say your right and the engineers have noticed this it would be my guess that it's well into the range of everything else falling apart on the car before it becomes an issue. Everything has faults when designed, it's just what is the weakest link. The above statement concerning this thread I would have to say prove it to be a concern.
I agree. This is something the "two million miles of testing" would help determine. However I believe all that testing was done in Europe on European gas which our 87-89 equilivant is not common. Some of that may not be 100% accurate.

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
I'll add some more data to this discussion. 2012 Eco MT, all stock. I have experimented with several tanks of premium 93 and several tanks of 87 regular. Ran them in sequence to let the engine 'learn' the fuel octane. In my uncontrolled experiment, I don't see any noticeable difference in MPG. This has all been in the colder winter months and on the same route driven. However, I can see a clear and noticeable improvement in how the engine runs on premium 93. On regular 87 the engine will pulse or hesitate slightly during moderate acceleration, while on 93 it is smooth and consistent under mid to high throttle. That is reason enough for me to use premium fuel.
Have you tested midgrade fuel to see if you would experience the same behavior? How much of an octane boost is beneficial?

If you're experience a smoother acceleration with 93 than with 87, what would the result of using 89 octane fuel be?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you tested midgrade fuel to see if you would experience the same behavior? How much of an octane boost is beneficial?

If you're experience a smoother acceleration with 93 than with 87, what would the result of using 89 octane fuel be?
I have not tried mid-grade. It might be a good compromise in cost and performance though. There may be more of a MPG difference with higher octane in the hot summer months than the cooler winter. The car does seem to be very sensitive to fuel quality.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
wather meth is the KEY! use regular gaz if you want!

·
Registered
67 Posts
i put in 87 and have no problem but haven't tried higher so nothing to compare to. if i ever do the trifecta tune i will use higher octane.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It is colder here than many of the other areas but 89 works fine in mine. Maybe next spring and summer I'll find out how it does and switch to 93. Who knows?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My car is the same way, I can't understand how anyone could claim they see/feel no difference. Heck there is a difference in the way my car runs comparing premium 91E0 and 93E10..... Would drive out of my way for 93E10 when available.
I'm also a firm believer in using top tier fuels. I use only Shell or Bp but used to use Citgo because my Subaru Justy LOVED it but apparently their quality/detergent levels seem non-existent.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I'm also a firm believer in using top tier fuels. I use only Shell or Bp but used to use Citgo because my Subaru Justy LOVED it but apparently their quality/detergent levels seem non-existent.
My cruze likes BP better than Shell. Good thing they finally joined top tier last year. Just remember not all top tier stations have the same level of detergents, being top tier only means they have more than the very minimal amount the EPA requires.

I still use a bottle of techron concentrate at least every spring. Figured my worse MPG is January/February so I burn a ton more fuel idling with city driving on a cold engine, so this year I am running a bottle each of these months. Figure these less than ideal conditions could attribute to carbon deposits more than my typical 65% hwy driving.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Shell and BP are the only 2 top tiers close to me and right now I'm using BP in the Cruze. I too use Techron in my vehicles(every other month).

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Every once and a while I go thru this: I put 89 in my tuned Eco. MPG difference minimal, but I do notice some power difference overall the tune makes up for most of it but honestly still feels like I running with a "broken toe". In Cinti, top tier gas is over priced unless I drive a good 10 - 15 miles to get it out of my way and I will only use Shell since they are in cahoots with Kroger on rewards. There really is no price differentiation in my area, 1 station be it Shell, Speedway, or Thornton's sets the price they all follow. It becomes a "is it really worth it" issue it always seems to turn out as "yes" esp for such a small engine. Today I guess I am filling up with 93 somewhere.

·
10,697 Posts
My car is the same way, I can't understand how anyone could claim they see/feel no difference. Heck there is a difference in the way my car runs comparing premium 91E0 and 93E10..... Would drive out of my way for 93E10 when available.
Same here, the 87 octane is dangerous thread was me all day with stock tune. Regap plugs and my issues were still there. It's like the car leaves the stop light/sign and then stops to ask "If I meant 1,2,3,go or 1,2 go on 3?" or something.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Lol, when its below zero ferinheight here i run 87 octane. Im wasting so much fuel just putting heat into the engine. When i get up to running conditions i will still see a difference in economy, but not much. When its hot out i run 94 octane to mitigate the KR, plus get ~%20 better millage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,
Newbie owner here... So I just bought a 2012 Cruze Eco and noticed the '91+ Octane Only' stickers on the gas cap and filler.
Are these GM originals? or an indication of a tune?
Thanks,
Mike
IMG_0582.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
Hi All,
Newbie owner here... So I just bought a 2012 Cruze Eco and noticed the '91+ Octane Only' stickers on the gas cap and filler.
Are these GM originals? or an indication of a tune?
Thanks,
Mike
View attachment 135577
Looks like it might be a P-Touch label. So it might be an owner thing. Even if your car is bone stock, I think you'll find it runs better than with "regular".

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine came without a sticker. Found some gm ones on ebay for like 9 shipped ( If anyone is interested http://www.ebay.com/itm/331259367142 ). I would like one....but not sure if I want to pay that amount for a small sticker. Also, a little off topic, but why isn't there a cap holder on the fuel door? Seems like most newer cars have them.

141 - 160 of 200 Posts