1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I don't get this move. Between the Cruze Eco and Cruze diesel Eco, I don't see many people buying a hybrid Cruze at all when those two are so fuel efficient already. Most people actually do not want to buy a hybrid, which is the reason the Cruze Eco is so successful in the first place. And with the Volt out already based on the same platform, I really don't get this unless they will be discontinuing the Volt.

And then there is the Toyota Prius.. which is under $25,000 and most likely gets better overall mileage than this will with more space to boot. Those concerned enough with buying hybrids / plug-ins to be converted!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
(As a Prius owner...)
To be fair, the plug-in Prius (aka PiP) has a starting price of $32K (Toyota USA Newsroom | Toyota Announces Pricing for All-New 2012 Prius v and Prius Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles). On the low end, the upcoming Prius c (Toyota USA Newsroom | Toyota Prius c Provides a Subcompact Entry Point to Prius Family of Hybrid Vehicles) should be cheaper than the regular Prius. This is supposed to be Yaris based but we don't have many details, so far.

Current regular Prius is EPA rated 51 city/48 highway/50 combined and does quite well at Most fuel-efficient cars.

I agree, the move is a bit odd since it seems to have some overlap w/the Volt which is really a plug-in hybrid w/a bias to run in EV until the battery is depleted.

Speculation on my part: Perhaps this is a means of selling a cheaper PHEV w/less battery and less range? If they removed enough battery, the car could seat 5 instead of 4. Less battery == less weight and possibly better mileage. Volt's CS mileage (vs. Prius) is underwhelming at EPA rated 35 city/40 highway/37 combined.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yeah. This seems like epic fail to me. The Volt already isn't the hottest selling car. Most Cruze Eco buyers come into showrooms for the Volt and come out with the Eco...
The Volt and Cruze ECO have completely different demographics. The Volt is targeting a higher income bracket of folks that crave the latest technology and do mostly suburban/city driving. Ofcourse, with the EREV they get the added benefit of traveling further in their Volt if they want to. ECO is pointing at people who need a lower priced car to make it more economical for them to do their 100 mile daily commute. While I am sure most ECO shoppers will poke their head in the Volt to see what it is all about, I doubt many will double their payment. Vice-versa, I do not think any Volt intenders will say "You know what, I just want a fairly basic car instead, give me the ECO." If they did that then they weren't fully commited to the Electric concept. The Cruze PHEV would be the target for those middle-grounders willing to pay a little more and have more of a city driving focus. It fits the niche between the ECO and Volt nicely, depending on how much it costs.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I like my gas Cruze, but regarding electric, I would much rather have a 100% electric Cruze rather than a hybrid- plug-in - whatever. Take the gas motor out and replace with extra batteries to get 100 mile range. That would be more than sufficient for my 45 minute commute. These plug-in hybrids require maintenance of both batteries AND internal combustion engines. The owners of EV1 loved the fact that they had no oil to change, no transmission fluid, no gas, etc.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Interesting... I could see a standard hybrid version of the ECO, so it could stop the engine instead of idling, as well as the other standard stuff (assist, regen braking, etc.), but doing a PHEV with the Volt basically being a PHEV... I don't get it...

Mike

·
Registered
516 Posts
Interesting... I could see a standard hybrid version of the ECO, so it could stop the engine instead of idling, as well as the other standard stuff (assist, regen braking, etc.), but doing a PHEV with the Volt basically being a PHEV... I don't get it...
Mike
Yes, I think the same way about it. There is no real "maketing differentiation" between a Volt and a plug-in Cruze that peforms the same way. You can't tell me that some person who thinks of themselves as higher up the economic scale is going to pay quite a bit more for the Volt at that point.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
The Volt makes no sense to me. If I could afford the Volt price tag then I honestly wouldn't give 2 craps about gas mileage (I hardly do right now). In that price bracket I would be looking at premium mid-sized or full sized cars. Maybe a used M3 or S4. I dunno. I do know that MPG would not be an issue for me on a newer vehicle.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The Volt makes no sense to me. If I could afford the Volt price tag then I honestly wouldn't give 2 craps about gas mileage (I hardly do right now). In that price bracket I would be looking at premium mid-sized or full sized cars. Maybe a used M3 or S4. I dunno. I do know that MPG would not be an issue for me on a newer vehicle.
Heh, well, the Volt's charge sustain mileage isn't very good at an EPA rated 37 mpg combined. :) And, the 4 seater compact Volt requires premium vs. the 50 mpg combined 5 seater (not comfortably) midsized Prius...

It is goofy that yes, the Volt's price tag is fairly high. One's getting up into low end luxury car pricing territory and Chevy doesn't have the brand cachet of Lexus, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc.

Many buyers of the Volt and Leaf are early adopters and simply want to reduce their dependence on oil, esp. foreign oil and reduce their GHG emissions. Some have PV (photovoltaic) panels on their roof and some live in areas where lots of electricity comes from renewable sources like hydro.

Perhaps another way of looking at it is that some people are willing to pay for a luxury brand, higher end car or certain features (e.g. sunroof, bigger engine, gadgets like heated/cooled seats, massage seats, rear footrests, DRCC, LKA, LKW, etc.) Those things don't save you any money. There's no "payback" period. This is just a feature that lets you use less oil and potentially emit fewer greenhouse gases.

I also do suspect that Volt demand will pickup or at least stay level (instead of falling) in CA because of http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/chevy-volt-ready-for-california-hov-access-extra-1-500-in-reba/. Unlike the Leaf, the '11 Volt didn't meet emissions standards and warranty requirements to qualify for the white HOV stickers nor CVRP (rebate).

I do see a case for the Volt vs. say the Leaf in that if you buy a pure EV, you will need a 2nd car (gas or diesel). For the 2nd car, you'll need to pay for fuel, maintenance, insurance and have it depreciate. At least w/the Volt, you won't need the 2nd car due to range limitations but unfortunately, it means some compromises (interior capacity, price, premium fuel and not so good mileage).

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
The arguments for energy conservation and reduction in foreign oil dependence are fine however the Prius out performs the Volt in that department (may need some correction). Unless I was in Jay Leno's shoes then I won't be using my money on a Volt. I'd rather get on a waiting list for an FCX (if fueling support would be in my area).

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I don't understand this move either.. the ECO gets 42, the Eco-D is supposed to get 56 on highway. Why go plug in? That gonna raise the cost of an affordable car dramatically..

Dam*it.. just put the 2.0T in it already. Guarentee that will sell better, despite mpg ratings..

Reactions: Starks8

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Somewhere I read that GM is working on a Cadillac based on the Volt technology. I bet the the Cruze hybrid and the Cadillac based on the Volt come out in the same model year.

Also, 2014 is when Texaco's patent squash on EV NiMH batteries expires so I expect we will see an explosion of longer range EVs starting in 2014 and 2015. For those of you who don't know the EV1 and RAV4-EV both used a NiMH battery and Texaco bought the patent from GM and then forced both GM and Toyota to stop making these batteries. NiMH batteries have better cycle times than the Lithium Ion batters currently being used. NiMH has slightly lower same energy density, but take less time to recharge and don't develop memory as quickly, which means the same capacity battery actually will provide better range and shorter recharge times

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I like my gas Cruze, but regarding electric, I would much rather have a 100% electric Cruze rather than a hybrid- plug-in - whatever. Take the gas motor out and replace with extra batteries to get 100 mile range. That would be more than sufficient for my 45 minute commute. These plug-in hybrids require maintenance of both batteries AND internal combustion engines. The owners of EV1 loved the fact that they had no oil to change, no transmission fluid, no gas, etc.
The problem with a 100 mile range is that it's only useful if you can recharge frequently. I live on the southwest side of Denver and 100 miles won't get me to the airport and back. Many urban areas in the US are the same.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
What concern about fuel economy, my other Chevy dealer as 123 brand new trucks and SUV's in stock, 4 Cruzes, and one Volt.

Check with your Chevy dealer and report back.
My Chevy dealer is similar, but when I asked my salesman about it he said they can't keep the Cruzen and Volts on the lot. They come in and sell within a week. The large trucks and SUVs are selling, but not as quickly.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...the 'old' P.T.Barnum automotive marketing strategy: "...a FOOL and his MONEY are soon PARTED..."

...the 'new' GM automotive marketing strategy: "...offer an EV-CRUZE to those who can't afford a VOLT..."

·
Registered
343 Posts
GM is no dummy... hmmm Toyota does pretty good with their Prius Hybrid. What if we made the better looking car (Cruze) of the two a hybrid & "bring" all of those customers who think the Prius is nerdy, unattractive & bring that money over to us through a Hybrid Cruze. Head of R&D, marketing, finance, sales... make it so. So in short it is not about making existing Cruze owners converts, but rather bring new business over from the competition... period. :eusa_clap:

Reactions: spacedout

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I still think GM/Chevy is over extending itself. With the problems the Cruze is having and then adding a diesel cruze to the line up and maybe a hatchback, I think they should just chill a little bit. Besides we have the volt and doesnt that have problems selling? If they really wanted to make money and please people, they would give the cruze a bigger turbo engine and perfect what they have!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.