Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears the Cruze won't be the only non heavy-duty GM vehicle to carry a new diesel.

It looks like the 2015 Chevy Colorado will feature a 2.8L Duramax diesel option. No numbers yet, but if this thing could return perhaps 30+ hwy mpg with the torque of a small V8 gasser, it could be a real game changer.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado Revealed, Features Diesel | GM Authority

I'm glad to see diesel gaining some traction in the US.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Latest gas prices here.

Regular $3.19 per US gallon

Diesel $3.89 per US gallon

At one time, not to long ago, the price of diesel fuel was cheaper per gallon. That justified the higher initial cost to rapidly reach the break even point, then come way ahead. But today the price of diesel fuel is proportional to the energy of gasoline. So that higher initial cost no longer exists. Plus the reliability of diesels failed rapidly.

Can't get excited about a diesel anymore.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Latest gas prices here.

Regular $3.19 per US gallon

Diesel $3.89 per US gallon
Diesel tends to follow an opposite season compared to gasoline. We are at or very near to the bottom of the gas prices for the year. Within a month or two, they will again head north for the season. Diesel, on the other hand, tends to peak around late fall/early winter due to the Christmas shipping season and competing with heating oil.

Over the last few years, diesel has stayed within a relatively low band of prices of about $.50 or less. Gasoline, while generally cheaper, has been far more volatile.

Besides, I don't know why I am trying to explain the cost to you; as I explained in another thread, diesel is not about saving money. If you're into saving money, the Cruze LS is the best car of the Cruze family, bar none.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
If you're into saving money, the Cruze LS is the best car of the Cruze family, bar none.
A new 2013 LS manual trans car comes in under $16k with current incentives.

Reactions: n1philli

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,301 Posts
This is something that will be good for GM. Lets face it - the S10/1st-gen Colorado were crappy, underpowered trucks incapable of carrying much of anything and getting up to speed doing it.

EVERY powerplant option offered looks pretty good, especially the 3.6 from the Impala (both I4 and V6 engines are much more powerful than Toyota's). Wonder how much that little diesel would be good for towing.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I'd consider replacing our Fit with one of these if we could have a cap or other way to cover the bed. The wife really liked the last-gen Colorado she had as a rental for a week, except for the fuel mileage with the I5. 17 mpg in suburban driving made her wince when she filled it up. Hopefully the 2.5 can tow a little bit while still returning low-mid 20's in suburban driving. The diesel would be sweet, but likely too pricey.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd be more interested in a 1/2 pickup that is capable of getting better than 20mpg with a Duramax, rather than spending the extra $2k-$3k to chip and reprogram a 3/4 ton, and still able to keep the towing capacity. And honestly, I don't even think a new 3/4 diesel can hit 20mpg. I know my 2003 would get around 22 all day long. A midsize pickup that gets 20-30mpg is not too impressive. Especially when a 4cyl 5 speed S10 GAS will get 20-25mpg all day long.
Give us something better GM. The 1/2 diesel was highly talked about prior to the Obama bail out.
With that being said, I believe Dodge is releasing their 1/2 diesel either this year or next...

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I'd be more interested in a 1/2 pickup that is capable of getting better than 20mpg with a Duramax, rather than spending the extra $2k-$3k to chip and reprogram a 3/4 ton, and still able to keep the towing capacity. And honestly, I don't even think a new 3/4 diesel can hit 20mpg.
The 1/2 ton would do far better than 20mpg with a diesel, the 2014 5.3L 2 wheel drive gets 23mpg highway rating, 22mpg with 4x4. I would expect a 1/2 ton diesel to get around 26-29mpg hwy, a small truck & engine combo like the new colorado around 32-35mpg hwy.

Sure the older 6.6L duramax do get better MPG than the newer ones, they make allot less power too. Most guys are only seeing 16mpg with the newer duramax. The 2003 I drove I could easily get 20-24mpg highway.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,301 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, production is not slated to start untill fall 2014 (for MY 2015) with the diesel not due out until MY 2016.

JK

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Too bad there is no manual option. I've heard speculation it may be in the works, but not getting my hopes up.
Are you sure about that?
The old five-speed manual for the Colorado ute has also been turfed in favour of a new six-speed, although torque output for manual-equipped models remains at 440Nm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts