Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#PIP5036: Possible Oil Consumption With Cracked Piston Or Pistons - (Jun 25, 2012)

Subject:

Possible Oil Consumption With Cracked Piston Or Pistons

Models:

2011 - 2013 Chevrolet Cruze, Sonic
1.4 LUJ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

You may encounter a customer concern of oil consumption, blue smoke from the exhaust.

There may be oil in the intake and turbo ducts or no oil found in the intake system.

Verify that oil consumption is greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 km (2000 mi).

Recommendation/Instructions:

If all diagnostic have been followed without isolating the concern.

We need to remove the pistons to inspect for a crack piston or pistons at the ring land between the number 1 and 2 ring.

Replace the pistons as needed using the part numbers in the catalog.

Do not replace the engine for this unless the block is damaged which is not common.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Ive never seen a turbo that didnt have some oil wetting in the intake. Especially if you put some miles on these things. And I just saw someone on here that had one installed. I didnt read the thread though, as I initially saw it as a unnecessary mod. Even if you install a catch can you will see some oil in it. I doubt it will be like some of the DSM ones where you actually need to put a sight gauge on the side of it...LOL

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
You should've seen the Cruze I worked on a few weeks ago. The compressor seal blew out of the turbo, sending oil ALL through the piping, intercooler, manifold. It was insane how bad it was. I had to physically take all the components out and 'dump' the oil that was tracked inside it all. Crazy...

Reactions: Metro666 and Merc6

·
Registered
172 Posts
SO far... So good. This Cruze is the only turbo car that I've never burned oil on. I think I added 3/4s of 1 quart after 10K miles. By that point the oil had probably thinned quite a bit, added a bit and ran it to about 12K.

So I couldn't be happier. With my 2.0TFSI passat 6MT ('06) I had to add almost a quart every 1200 miles. It would have fresh oil in it after the 5K miles. : |

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
It seems the Cruze is becoming one very interesting car to own. Lets see we have pistons a cracking-Antifreeze a smelling and Engines a lighting sounds like Christmas in July.:)
In all fairness, we need to remember that these are not the norm, but incidents that appear to be more prevalent due to the nature of online discussion boards. CruzeTalk is a hub of sorts where people come to discuss their problems. For every one person that joins to post about a problem they're having, there are hundreds if not thousands who don't have any issues that don't join.

·
Registered
718 Posts
In all fairness, we need to remember that these are not the norm, but incidents that appear to be more prevalent due to the nature of online discussion boards. CruzeTalk is a hub of sorts where people come to discuss their problems. For every one person that joins to post about a problem they're having, there are hundreds if not thousands who don't have any issues that don't join.
Exactly right. Go to any forum dedicated to any car and you'll find people posting about problems.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hopefully this new problem with pistons is an isolated one. Yet in the above report it states 2011 to 2013 to be models very strange. If the piston problem was discovered then they would have made it right by now and not added the 2013 models yet to be built. Perhaps a few owners are out running there engines and so we have this problem.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
This is ok too have so many oil in my intake???

·
Registered
191 Posts
If anyone wonders about how the Cruze compares to the Civic in number of web-forum complaints, here's the link to study:
Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat - Page 2

IMHO, the Cruze doesn't look to be any more "interesting" to own than a 9th Gen. Civic.

I'm sure I'd find similar about the other cars in its class.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
1000 km

·
Registered
300 Posts
It's the same with every auto make. Forums bring out the worst and in turn becomes webmd of the car world " oh my car does that , I must have that problem "

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I have cracked pistons at 24000 miles.
Not happy. My dealer sucks.

tipup2,
I would like to apologize for the issues you have experienced with your Cruze as well as your dealership. I understand your frustration. I would like to look into your concerns further for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer? I look forward to hearing back from you as well as assisting you with your concerns.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

1 - 20 of 136 Posts