Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my dad, who is well over 80, has a 2005 Buick Lacrosse. He received a letter from GM to take in his car to repair the faulty ignition we have all heard about. You know, the problem that has killed people. So, he made an appointment and went in yesterday to have the issue fixed. Do you know what these friggin geniuses did to fix this problem? Go ahead guess, you'll &hit. Well, they take my dad's car key..the GD car key...they remove the key ring...they take a little black insert and glue it into the elongated key opening used to hold the key ring to make the fixed slot round.. and call it a day. 30 seconds...FIXED. Never looked at the car, never looked at the ignition. My dad said...that's it? The tech said...yup. So my dad says, you know what you just did don't you? Tech says...no, what? You just wasted an hour of my frigging time my time and yours. The tech said, yeah I know, but that's what GM wants us to do. GM...safety first...well, not like first first, but kind of if forced to kind of half assed fix it sorta first...

I was stunned when he told me what the did.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Thats because it wasn't part of the first big recall. I think this one was the second of third one where they are just being over cautious.
Recalls should never be this cheaply done, where they basically modify the existing part with glue or any form of cutters. I'm reminded of the lower engine shield my cruze used to have GM thought they should basically remove "just in case" someone spilled some oil.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
From GM's own web-site the Colbalts at least should be getting a new ignition switch along with the key modification. It sounds to me like the Lacrosse recall is more along the lines of the Camaro recall where they don't want stuff hanging from the key to avoid the driver's knee hitting the key.

·
Registered
159 Posts
From GM's own web-site the Colbalts at least should be getting a new ignition switch along with the key modification. It sounds to me like the Lacrosse recall is more along the lines of the Camaro recall where they don't want stuff hanging from the key to avoid the driver's knee hitting the key.
Yes the Cobalts and HHR's get both the new ignition switch (where the bad part is) and the key change, the others only need the key correction.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Yeah, god forbid they actually fix the ignition correctly. Kind of like scotch taping a broken windshield.
There is nothing wrong with the switch.
By modifying the key head, folks that hang ten pounds of keys and other non-related B.S., well, the load now has no leverage on the key.
Testing found a sharp bump with lots of weight on the key head could cause it to turn back one notch, shutting the car off.

If you have a way to stop folks from hanging everything under the sun on their ignition key, lets hear it.

BTW..... Chrysler is doing the same mod on their keys.....just no media attention........I dunno about Fo Mo Co.

Rob

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Same pointless recall on our 04 Grand Prix. Its annoying to have to waste time on this recall just because of fixing things for the lowest common denominator. I'd rather just let Darwin do his thing.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Same pointless recall on our 04 Grand Prix. Its annoying to have to waste time on this recall just because of fixing things for the lowest common denominator. I'd rather just let Darwin do his thing.
Heh heh,

Few truer words spoken......same as common sense being increasingly uncommon.

Darwin thing would be fine if there weren't liability lawers all waiting in line.

Rob

·
Registered
124 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the switch.
By modifying the key head, folks that hang ten pounds of keys and other non-related B.S., well, the load now has no leverage on the key.
Testing found a sharp bump with lots of weight on the key head could cause it to turn back one notch, shutting the car off.

If you have a way to stop folks from hanging everything under the sun on their ignition key, lets hear it.

BTW..... Chrysler is doing the same mod on their keys.....just no media attention........I dunno about Fo Mo Co.

Rob

Agreed COMPLETELY! I had the same recall on my Oldsmobile Alero (which I traded-in for my Cruze) but never bothered to get it done since all I kept on the single key was a key ring. In fact, I only have a key ring AND NOTHING ELSE on my 2014 Cruze RKE:

Keychain Fashion accessory

- Joe

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Agreed COMPLETELY! I had the same recall on my Oldsmobile Alero (which I traded-in for my Cruze) but never bothered to get it done since all I kept on the single key was a key ring. In fact, I only have a key ring AND NOTHING ELSE on my 2014 Cruze RKE:

View attachment 127569

- Joe
My key chain looks like this except that I have the small key for my roof rack and a connecting piece for the "10 lb" portion of my keys. I keep the roof rack key on this part since I never want the car running when I'm working on the roof and since don't like the dangling keys I can separate them and put them in the small holder in front of the gear shift.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
It is pretty much common knowledge on all Ignition key rings from all manufactures that only the Key and the FOB if included should hang from the switch. An 80 year old man should certainly know this and it should be covered in any Drivers training for new drivers.

·
10,712 Posts
But it's sooo convenient you have every key you own on one key ring. It makes life way more simple to fumble a bit to find that 1 key every friggin door you go to. I have about 5 key rings of keys scattered about me or the car as I can't stand the sound of stuff jingling around every bump I hit.

I did debate on the Camaro recall key, still kinda am. I just haven't found the energy to go buy and have it cut.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Soon you won't need a key , your electronic Device will do it all for ya ...I only have a key and spare .. if I loose the phone I'm Fuqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqued .. DAH what then ?

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
271 Posts
The colbolts, G5s and Saturns get new ignition switches due to a spring inside the switch being 1.8 mm too short.

Your dad should have read the recall notice. It tells you what they are going to do and why.

Reactions: jjducky

·
Registered
270 Posts
if the fixes are either take everything off the key, or fill in the key hole with an insert, they shouldve called it the 'faulty key recall'. saying its a faulty ignition switch kinda indicates that to fix it, you would have to touch the switch somehow during a repair or replacement of the switch...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.