Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2012 Chevrolet Cruze (US/Canada) | Cruze US/Canada Service Manual 2817 | Preliminary Information | Document ID: 2811496[HR][/HR]
#PI0715: Engine Rattle/Knock Noise, Loose or Broken Front Crankshaft Pulley Bolt and/or Flywheel Bolts - (Apr 4, 2012)
Subject:
Engine Rattle/Knock Noise, Loose or Broken Front Crankshaft Pulley Bolt and/or Flywheel Bolts

Models:
2011-2012 Chevrolet Cruze

2012 Chevrolet Sonic

Equipped with Engine RPOs LUW, LUJ, LUV

Manual Transmission RPOs MF3, MZ0, M26, MZ4

[HR][/HR]Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on a loud engine rattle or knock type noise. Or they could comment that the accessory drive belt and the lower crankshaft pulley have come off. An inspection may reveal a loose or broken bolt from the front crankshaft pulley and/or flywheel bolts, causing them to make a noise or come off the engine.
Broken or loose bolts at the crankshaft pulley and/or flywheel are the result of excessive engine overspeed.
The cause of the higher than normal RPMs are achieved by shifting the vehicle from a higher gear to a lower gear at a higher rate of speed. This allows the wheels to drive the engine at a higher RPM than it is capable of handling.
Recommendation/Instructions

To identify if the engine RPMs were higher than the design load limits, use GDS2 and select Data Display, Overspeed Data table.
Check to see if the data shows that the engine has been run at too high of an RPM level. Any speed higher than 7500 RPMs is too excessive and could result in engine damage.
If the data indicates an overspeed condition has occurred, it should be inspected by your service manager and GM Field Representative to determine warranty responsibility

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
GM & BIG Brother are always watching (wink,wink)? Why else would you be paranoid?

·
Registered
308 Posts
So is this post intended to make the tuned cars more careful? My stock rev limit is only 6500rpm. What is the V Tune rev limit?

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
I took as the (black box) if you down shift over rev your motor and pop a pully off and have to get a new motor then they can see.

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The intent was just to show this is the way they try to void claims.And yes Stage 0 maintains a 6500 rev limiter.Really there is no reason to rev this motor to 6500.Just a little over 6000 is good if your tune will make power up to that.This way you can stack the TQ and HP back into the next shift.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The MT doesn't prevent overrevs when downshifting. I don't know of any way to overrev the AT unless manual mode stupidly allows downshifting when not safe.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
GM is shrewed . I would be shrewed to if I found that people whom bought my product thrashed smashed and utterly abused it and,then wanted me to rewaard them with a new product . Use your brakes to slow your roll people.

Reactions: sciphi

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Every car company does this.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Really there is no reason to rev this motor to 6500.
Thats the one thing I hate about the automatic trans programing, if floored it takes every gear to 6500rpm. Seriously the car is faster at 3/4 throttle when you can force a 5,000rpm shift, If I had a way I would change it to max at 5,500rpm when floored on the auto, at least in 3rd gear or higher.

The stock transmission programming is a bit dumb, if you give moderate gas it forgets there are 6 gears & just takes every gear to 3,500-4,000rpm. That means when you ultimate goal is 45-65mph like most you never utilize 4th, or 5th.

using manual mode the trans will allow you to downshift & put the motor at redline, since there is no compression braking its also kinda pointless.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Do we need to redline ? or are you a nut whom thinks he is a gearhead ? to elaborate more //< there is a video of boatsforlife>
check his crazy ass out ...I guess he thinks if he goes fast enough he will out live his usefulness .or some thing of that nature.
< just an example boats > Hope your doing well.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,301 Posts
Do we need to redline ? or are you a nut whom thinks he is a gearhead ? to elaborate more //< there is a video of boatsforlife>
check his crazy ass out ...I guess he thinks if he goes fast enough he will out live his usefulness .or some thing of that nature.
< just an example boats > Hope your doing well.
Well, apparently the automatic thinks so.

But yes, flooring it is necessary sometimes. Especially if you're around a bunch of dumbtards merging onto the highway at 30 mph. This is a Cruze, not a Corvette. There's not much power in reserve.

·
Registered
308 Posts
all i know is i paid **** lot of money to have warranty ect. so if something goes wrong and they try to squirm out of fixing it, It will be the last time they ever see me in the showroom or on the lot.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
I saw this and lol'd after today's drive home. In the left lane of stop and go traffic, locked in M3, and keeping my distance with little brake usage just creeping along. As the highway approached a split with another highway (which I can take either), traffic started making more complete stops. So I got over a lane, saw I had an opening, bitch slapped it over in D (like the commercial implies, right?), and buried it. Of course she was singing to almost 6500, but since I only had 1/8 of a tank or a little more, it really did scoot. It impressed me how quick it was anyway even if it could have been better. I needed to worry about not getting run over instead of worrying about it not reacting to my shift movements.

Sorry to sound Cruzemeistery, but I just can't help but love this car more and more every day!

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
I have to ask has any one other than myself and a few others watch boats video?
freaked me out a little . No it freaked me out a lot . Picked the wrong car to build.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I know Porsche has the same feature to detect overspeed conditions. There is a firm that makes an aftermarket PC/OBD system that includes this as one of the viewable data points. I had one for my old 100K mile Boxster. A lot of times people use it to check out used Boxsters to see if the motor had ever been overspun before they purchase.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I wonder if pulling the battery would clear anything stored related to this. I could see GM doing both ways thinking it's not an important value to store if the battery gets pulled, but they could put it in permanent memory so it will always have the "revved too high" stored for warranty issues.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Let me get this straight, GM is blaming people for DRIVING THE VEHICLE WITHIN ITS ALLOWED MEANS as the result of something breaking? Sounds like GM didn't engineer something right and is trying to blame the owner for doing something the vehicle is allowed to do. Reminds me of when Nissan wouldn't warranty owners of the GT-R when they used the FACTORY launch control.

EDIT: Woops, I missed the 7500RPM part. Yeah, that makes sense as it is out of the normal bounds.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
really i think they are only looking to screw some body driveing the car like a mental case

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
If you are revving this thing to 7500RPM you deserve what you get. This ranks right up there with submerging a cold air intake in water

1 - 20 of 35 Posts