Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

GM Performance Suspension

39K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  keomadarin79 
#1 ·
So I just bit the bullet and ordered the GMPP lowering kit for the 2017 Hatch along with some fog lights. Supposedly the kit comes with 4 springs a new sway bar and all the hardware. Got it from gmpartsdirect.com. Fog lights and suspension package was 484.68 shipped. Will update with details, installation photos/video, and before and after photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Subscribed

Reactions: Tomko
#3 ·
Apparently there are two part numbers. They emailed me and told me, “Part number 84105409 ($292.50) is not listed in the current licensed GM parts catalog for use with the VIN supplied.

Per the current licensed GM parts catalog (not the third-party catalog on the website), part number 84105410 ($292.50) is the correct front and rear suspension modification kit for VIN 3G1BE6SM3HS509140.” Rear suspension modification kit?? What did I get myself into?

#6 ·
I?m guessing one is w/ hatchback. Or with or without RS.

#8 ·
I?ve read in many articles it?s a 10mm drop. Not even sure you?ll notice it?s lowered.

#10 ·
#13 ·
I was also referring to the stance. The white car has the springs on it.

#17 ·
So, what is available out of the list of parts they advertised? The exhaust and the brakes? I may get the brakes for my Hatchback.

#19 ·
I have talked with a few parts dealers they never know what is “in stock” with GM. They order it charge your card and then come back in 3-10 days saying it has not been released or out of stock. No one seems to be able to give a straight answer.

#20 ·
I have talked with a few parts dealers they never know what is ?in stock? with GM. They order it charge your card and then come back in 3-10 days saying it has not been released or out of stock. No one seems to be able to give a straight answer.

I added it to a shopping cart, when I was messing around, online. And one of the gm parts places, like gmpartsdirect, said ?available for shipping 10/3/2017? not sure how much truth there is to that. What I am finding, though, is that shipping is quite a lot. I added the brakes to a cart, and shipping was $250-$300. The gm part number came up on Summit, and I could add it to the cart, and anything over $100 shipped for free, so, it allowed me to add the brakes to the cart, with free shipping. They?re a little more than gmparts, but after gmparts adds the shipping, I?m saving $150, ordering from Summit. I want to see if they?re available before I pull the trigger. I want the exhaust and the brakes, at a minimum. The intake was advertised, with a part number, but I can?t find that anywhere, for sale.

#23 ·

Rear two springs are installed piece of cake to do took about a half hour to do both side. Took it around two corners that I’d like to swing my car around and the rear end feels a whole lot more competent.
Total drop seems to be about 3/4 of an inch in the rear.

#24 ·
The front is going to be a whole other animal. [emoji108][emoji108]

I’d be pumping money into the Cruze, right now. But, unfortunately, I just dropped some more money on bitcoin. [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Jacque8080
#28 ·
It's just springs and a sway bar - the springs should be pretty easy.

The sway bar...doesn't the Cruze require the subframe to be dropped/pivoted? The Cobalt's was an absolute ***** to do - but I didn't need to drop the subframe. Everything was in the way, though. If I had done it when I did my header swap, it'd have been ten times easier.

The Cavalier required the subframe to be tilted - which ended up with me snapping the head off one of the bolts (probably lead to the crack making its way all the way around, though that bolt was so rusted in the sleeve, it may never have even had an effect). I put the swaybar on the new subframe when I swapped it in - the car came without a front bar at all.

#30 ·
Yeah, like the Cavalier, you just probably need enough space to slip the old one out and the new one in, correct?

The bolt broke??

Cobalt was a pain - but at least the subframe could stay where it was at.

#34 ·
I don’t know your answer, but I’m going to go out on a limb, and say that the spring rates are “likely” different, because the 1.6 is probably a heavier motor. But then again, it may just be a bigger bore. The 1.6 in the US is a diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#35 · (Edited)
Installed this over the weekend on my '18 Diesel Sedan.

I tried a few different variations of 2017/2018 and Sedan/Hatch all with the 1.6 and LT trim and the current version of the Chevy Accessories website says it fits some and not others. There is no option to toggle between automatic/manual trans. When it does pop up there is only one part number (84105410) and it includes the sway bar.

The upgraded parts codes were:
Sway bar: AAJ9, #39000784, 29mm x 4.5mm wall
Front Spring: AA7N #13479752
Rear Spring: AAWV #13366701

The stock parts were:
Sway bar: AAKP, #39005088, 28mm x 4.5mm wall
Front Spring: AG7 #13367034 (Diesel/Manual specific it seems)
Rear Spring: AAVB #13366696

Oddly, I can't find the upgraded front springs or stock rear spring anywhere online. And it looks like the sway bar is probably the stock unit from the Volt.

The bar isn't that terrible to install, but my opinion would probably change quickly if I were doing it on an older, rustier car. Lots of steps but they're well documented in the included instructions (also available online.) The only step I skipped was removing the lower ball joint. Since I was doing front springs as well I just removed the coil-over assembly which served the purpose of separating the outboard wheel assembly from the body. Working on the garage floor and with half-shafts still attached my subframe couldn't drop far enough to concern me with completely un-plugging ABS and steering rack wires. The front springs and bar took me about 5 hours on my back with jack-stands, basic hand-tools, a rented spring compressor, and a small pneumatic impact for the shock top nut.

With a tape measure and bubble level I couldn't see any alignment changes worth having addressed. Despite having the tape and string out, I got completely unscientific with ride height, but from top of the tire to bottom of the fender lip I went from four fingers to a tight three on the front, and a lose 4 to a tight three on the rear. I expect it may well shrink another .250" or so over the next few months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.