Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What has GM advised their dealers to do for this issue
Is it acceptable for the dealer to just "Top off the reservoir"
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
They're supposed to do a quick look for leaks and if none found, top of the coolant tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Antifreeze is obviously going somewhere. With thousands of these things on the road and many suffering the same issue surely somebody has a clue as to whats going on. I wont let my daughter leave without carrying a gallon of antifreeze with her.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Antifreeze is obviously going somewhere. With thousands of these things on the road and many suffering the same issue surely somebody has a clue as to whats going on. I wont let my daughter leave without carrying a gallon of antifreeze with her.
If she's loosing dexcool that fast there is a leak somewhere. If your dealership isn't looking then you need to find a different dealership.

·
Registered
508 Posts
How is it possible that a car with 3 different powertrains or so are all suffering from
the same coolant issue. What exactly went wrong when these cars were designed? Does any other gm car have these issues? It's just so weird that such a basic component....the cooling system, which has been around for decades on engines is having so many problems on these cars

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Probably about 2 gallons in the last 450 to 500 miles.That has taken 2 months it doesn't get driven daily.Thanks Buck
Your daughter must find another GM Dealership ASAP. At this loss rate there is a 100% chance of a serious coolant leak.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Flourescent dye test???

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Probably about 2 gallons in the last 450 to 500 miles.
That has taken 2 months it doesn't get driven daily.
Thanks Buck
Hmmm. Is there nothing on the ground underneath the car when it's been sitting? If it's losing/consuming 2 gallons in 500 miles there must be evidence on the engine somewhere. If it's consuming it, that's a different story. What is the mileage and model year of this Cruze? Has it always gone through coolant at this rate? If not how long has it been doing this? It is long time past to find a different dealership service department. The current one is incompetent at best. If you pull the oil filler cap, or dipstick, is there a brown, frothy "goop" on either of them?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Jeeze!

That is a big loss......thing should be coated in coolant or the carpets are saturated......unless, as stated above, the engine oil is getting coolant mixed into it.

At that rate, I'd think there should be dried coolant tracking all over the engine.

I think you, the owner, may have to be more proactive and try to discover the cause of loss yourself using a good flashlight in a darkened inspection area (garage).

And, whatever dealer you are going to, lose the address and start over.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Possible heater core.
If it were the heater core leaking, the carpeting should be soaking wet and the interior should reek of antifreeze. The consumption has to be external to the engine or, worse, internal to the engine. The radiator and related plumbing should also be examined.

Reactions: obermd

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
New vehicle will lose some coolant, don't drive it long enough to wash out all the air pockets. Checked cold, mine dropped about an inch on the recovery tank after about three days. I topped mine off with my own bottle of Dex-cool, hasn't used a dropped since.

But GM caught this only after about three years, so send me a letter to take it to my dealer. I don't believe they are trained to top off the recovery tank to the full mark without spilling it all over the place, besides, can't drive there without warming up the engine, so should wait there several hours until it cools down.

Dex-cool already has a dye in it, red is not its natural color, but you need at least one good eye, cannot be color blind, and need a bright light to see it.

Should have your dealer do a pressure test on it, but may have to explain what it is since it only has been the most common test for coolant leaks in the last 110 years. Can safely hit it with 35 psi, should be done both cold an hot. Been able to find leaks only losing less than a cup every month. You are losing a quart every 50 miles or so, this is astronomical in volume.

If there is any sweet odors whatsoever, park the darn thing, your daughter may suffer from unrepairable kidney damage that is a very long slow painful death. Not easy to find new kidneys, and if you do, a lot more expensive than your Cruze.

Nothing to fool with.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I really wish that folks who come here seeking assistance would keep everyone updated on what is going on. Members here take the time to try to help and are interested in what the situation is. It's been over a week since the OP posted and given the severity of the issue, one would think something has been done to address the problem by now.

·
2,170 Posts
I really wish that folks who come here seeking assistance would keep everyone updated on what is going on. Members here take the time to try to help and are interested in what the situation is. It's been over a week since the OP posted and given the severity of the issue, one would think something has been done to address the problem by now.
Its frustrating but you can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves. It's possible OP is currently in the middle of addressing the issue? Maybe it got fixed and since they don't need us anymore they've forgotten about us.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are losing a gallon in 500 miles there a leak should be easily seen. Loss of coolant can only be a leak or loss of steam out the overflow. However I have had coolant loss on 2012 and 2015 ECO. Two dealers could not find or repair problem and GM technical help failed also. I believe all 1.4t Cruze's loose Antifreeze and the letter to dealers to top off is just a way to do something but does not address the real problem. What I see is the engine gets hot and the steam goes out the overflow causing the loss. I think the 22psi cap was added to stop this loss but it does not, it just puts more stress on the components and may cause leaks. Also the temperature gauge is programmed to stop at 190 deg and will not go up even when boiling at 245deg or so. Therefore the driver doesn't know when the engine gets a little hot and vents coolant other than the ethelene glycol odor. It looks like the cooling fan logic does not kick in fan on 221 deg mode until it gets hot in a couple of the torque modes and then vents steam. If anyone knows root cause of coolant loss, please advise.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
In the past it would be a bad rad cap, the motor gets hot, fluids expand right out the overflow and you have major loss every day..
In the past, yes. The Cruze has no radiator cap per 'se. The pressure cap is on the surge tank and if it releases, coolant spews out the vent onto the tank or down the side. That would be very visible to any GM technician, if they looked. There were quite a few bad tank castings that did not seal at the cap properly and required a new tank and cap to stop the venting at that point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts