Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GM to recall 293,000 Cruze cars over brake assist defect - vagazette.com

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Co will recall 292,879 Chevrolet Cruze cars in the United States due to a defect that can cause loss of the brake assist function in models with the 1.4-liter turbocharged engine and six-speed automatic transmission.

The largest U.S. automaker said on Friday that the problem occurred in model year 2011 and 2012 Cruze cars. GM said it was aware of 27 low-speed crashes, but no injuries, tied to the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
So it appears that those with the 1.4T and Manual Transmissions are not affected.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,603 Posts
Heard lots about this...glad they're fixing all of them rather than waiting for (potentially dangerous) problems with em to happen to owners.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Moved to Service Issues. I'm glad they're going to fix them all at one time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So, I've never dealt with a recall before. I think I'm affected, but not sure. I have a 2012 Cruze LT RS automatic so I'm assuming I'm affected...

·
17,603 Posts
So, I've never dealt with a recall before. I think I'm affected, but not sure. I have a 2012 Cruze LT RS automatic so I'm assuming I'm affected...
They'll send you a recall notice in the mail, at which point you can call your dealer and schedule an appointment to bring it in. It may be several weeks away as they try to get the parts on shelves.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
GM will send you a postcard about the recall. If you don't receive one you can still have your VIN checked for any outstanding recalls by calling GM Customer Support or your local dealership service department. I haven't received a notice from the NHTSA yet about this recall and when I do I'll post the recall number and any other information published on the NHTSA website.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I realize this is breaking news, and details may not be out yet, but below is a link from fox news that mentions the repair is to replace a microswitch in the brake booster line? If I'm reading this right..

Any GM Tech's out there that have a procedure on this they can share? Or ChevMgr if you're out there?

Is there a sensor of any type in the brake booster line? Off to looking under the hood tonight..

GM Recalls 293K Chevrolet Cruze Sedans | Fox Business

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
GM will send you a postcard about the recall. If you don't receive one you can still have your VIN checked for any outstanding recalls by calling GM Customer Support or your local dealership service department. I haven't received a notice from the NHTSA yet about this recall and when I do I'll post the recall number and any other information published on the NHTSA website.
And you can find any warranty and recall information in your my.Chevrolet. com account:).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I wonder why the automatics have an issue and not the manuals? I wonder what all is different with the brakes?

Me too. Thinking back over the "no brakes" threads I've seen here I can't remember any that were for manuals. However, I think I have seen a couple for the LS trims. If I'm remembering correctly I can see this recall being expanded.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hello,

Also, if you would like to know if your vehicle is associated with this recall we can research your VIN as well. You can private message us your VIN and we can look for you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
17,603 Posts
Me too. Thinking back over the "no brakes" threads I've seen here I can't remember any that were for manuals. However, I think I have seen a couple for the LS trims. If I'm remembering correctly I can see this recall being expanded.
Every one I've seen was an auto LT/LTZ.

The pump provides extra vacuum when there is none from a turbocharged engine (e.g. in reverse, 1500 RPM). The turbo is forcing air through the intake manifold at that RPM, which means positive pressure where the vacuum would *normally* come from.

Why not on the manuals? My guess is that most people push in the clutch when braking at low speeds. I usually do.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
It appears that there is a vacuum solenoid just to the left of the liquid reservior for the master cylinder on the brake booster.

I have no confirmed details, but if that's the issue it appears like it will be a fast inexpensive fix. Given it's a safety system I believe GM is responsible well beyond the 3 year 36,000 warranty so it will be free at the dealership.

I have an open recall for the splash shield, and I really like how clean the original splash shield keeps the engine clean in a salty winter.. Well that's another issue..

·
17,603 Posts
Sounds like it may be for those who drive an auto with both feet on the pedals at the same time. :)

I've seen it happen...although I'm wondering if it has more to do with the valve timing/overlap when warming up in these engines? I know that's why they started using vacuum assist pumps in other VVT motors, and it let them get rid of EGR valves. Or maybe just the 1500 RPM idle when cold.

Color me curious.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts