Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here we go again! This is the 4th recall I 've had with my 2011 1.4T Auto. Always when I'm about to go on vacation. I wonder what the Chevy design people in Detroit are going to come up with as "FIX"? Last recall they hacked the underside with a hack saw! Maybe they can use the same hack saw & cut the brakes off? Then use the same saw & cut a hole in the floor board, so we can stop with our feet on the ground. Oh wait they cut the air deflector off the bottom of the engine bay already, we would get water inside if it rains! I can't wait till I pay for this car. No one will buy it from me because the recalls, are so many & dangerous. The steering can fall off, the trans linkage will also fall off, The car catches fire, Now the brakes won't stop the car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wait until the third quarter is over. Then GM will recall all cars with this brake problem. They want to show a profit in the third quarter. The stock holders are more important than your safety don't you think! One more year of payments for me. My wife was complaining about six months ago. She claimed upon start up, coming out of the garage, she almost hit the house. I guess I'm lucky I have the remote start, so the idle will come down before I get in. I'm still awaiting my recall?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Right - compare this with the huge fines Toyota was hit with because they wouldn't even acknowledge they had problems. If you hate your Cruze so much trade it now - even after this repair is done you will still find a reason, real or imagined, to complain about. It has only been two weeks from the formal recall notification. Sometimes I think I preferred the pre-internet process for recalls - owners and the media wouldn't find out until owners started receiving post cards or you took your car in for some other service (routine or repair) and they looked it up.
I don't own a Toyota never did never will. I do own a Cruze, and the braking system is a serious part of the automobile system. If it was a door latch, I wouldn't be as excited about a recall. As far as the comment about people being informed. You have probably been in the dark to long or you work for Chevy. If the repair is done with professional workmanship & the proper part I will applaud GM. If they just do a quick & simple fix like they did on the last recall by hacking off the offending part: I will complain.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is a faulty switch that is being replaced. It takes time to get the replacement switches out to the dealerships. If this is a repeatable brake problem (i.e., it didn't just occur the one time) contact your local dealership and get them to push through doing this recall for you before the notifications go out. Otherwise remember there is a reason all cars have a secondary low speed braking system that does not depend on hydraulics. In the case of the Cruze this is the handbrake. If you hold the release button in you can actually use the hand brake as a low speed braking system, but this is unfortunately a skill that isn't taught anymore but should be - brake lines do fail. For the record - not only don't I work for GM, but I don't currently nor have I ever worked for any car manufacturer, so when I praise, complain, defend, or throw barbs it's based on my experiences as an owner. I have owned a lot of GMs however and currently own two Cruzen. My wife drives a Toyota Solara SLE Convertible.
Are those powder puffs on your avatar your wife' or yours? I see why your defending so vividly the cruze: you made two bad decisions buying two. I probably have owned more GM products than you have. This one is beginning to look like the Corvair & Vega. I see by the amount of post you have on this site, you have no life! The hand brake is for parking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The problem
According to the NHTSA bulletin and General Motors, the pump may not activate in affected vehicles. This may result in the intermittent reduction or loss of brake assist.
Such a condition would require extra pedal force by the driver and/or a longer distance to stop the car, both of which increase the risk of a crash.
The automaker began an investigation into the problem after a field product report was issued for a brake performance complaint in July 2012. General Motors said that it had identified “27 potentially related reports with allegations of low-speed crashes and no injuries in driveways and parking lots on the subject vehicles.”
What General Motors will do
Although no notification schedule has yet been determined, General Motors will notify owners and dealers will replace a microswitch in the power brake vacuum pipe assembly. The service will be performed at no charge.
The General Motors safety recall number is 12213. Prior to owner notification, owners of 2011 and 2012 Chevrolet Cruze sedans with any questions or concerns may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020.
Alternatively, owners of vehicles involved in the campaign may contact NHTSA’s Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 or go to http://www.safercar.gov. Reference the NHTSA campaign ID No. 13V360000.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I finally have my switch replaced. After a year of complaining GM finally sent a re-call in NOV 2013. The part was a long time coming. I suppose it had to be made by Chinese Orphans, taken out to sea in a rik-shaw ,smuggled on to an ocean liner to the western hemisphere. My warranty is up this month. I can't wait. They only cover the engine after that. They will probably have a answer to all my problems after the warranty runs out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.