Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
GM to recall 293,000 Cruze cars over brake assist defect - vagazette.com

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Co will recall 292,879 Chevrolet Cruze cars in the United States due to a defect that can cause loss of the brake assist function in models with the 1.4-liter turbocharged engine and six-speed automatic transmission.

The largest U.S. automaker said on Friday that the problem occurred in model year 2011 and 2012 Cruze cars. GM said it was aware of 27 low-speed crashes, but no injuries, tied to the problem.
Problem was that my 2012 LTZ never was included in the recall. When I nearly sent my brake pedal through the floor while backing up yesterday and today did I know I had a problem. No light came on to warn me. The dealer told me that when this vac. switch fails, no codes are set. WHY NOT? I could have caused an accident or worse!!! Apparently, the recall wasn't far reaching enough. Thank God no one was behind me or I truly could have killed them. This is very concerning.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks everyone for your information. I had checked the Chevrolet.com website using my VIN before I went to the dealer and the only open recall I had was the loss of antifreeze without leak one. That was done at the same time they put in the vac. switch. The dealer did tell me that now when they replace the switch, they must replace the entire assembly (with the tube also) or else people are having repeat failures on the switch. Why do you think that is the case? Changing those parts fixed the symptoms and my brakes are back to normal, thankfully. Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, I noticed that too and looked up the part number they listed. I thought maybe it was an assembly but it was not as it was just the plastic tubing. However, I found this link which includes all the details including the part number and photos of how to change it!!!! Here's the link. Let me know if you can't get to it and I'll get it to you.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ucm445630/rcrit-13v360-8426p.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.