Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Moved to Service Issues. I'm glad they're going to fix them all at one time.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
GM will send you a postcard about the recall. If you don't receive one you can still have your VIN checked for any outstanding recalls by calling GM Customer Support or your local dealership service department. I haven't received a notice from the NHTSA yet about this recall and when I do I'll post the recall number and any other information published on the NHTSA website.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I wonder why the automatics have an issue and not the manuals? I wonder what all is different with the brakes?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Me too. Thinking back over the "no brakes" threads I've seen here I can't remember any that were for manuals. However, I think I have seen a couple for the LS trims. If I'm remembering correctly I can see this recall being expanded.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
It appears that there is a vacuum solenoid just to the left of the liquid reservior for the master cylinder on the brake booster.

I have no confirmed details, but if that's the issue it appears like it will be a fast inexpensive fix. Given it's a safety system I believe GM is responsible well beyond the 3 year 36,000 warranty so it will be free at the dealership.

I have an open recall for the splash shield, and I really like how clean the original splash shield keeps the engine clean in a salty winter.. Well that's another issue..
In the US car manufacturers are required to provide recalls for 10 years from the end of the model year. Chrysler just went through a fight with the NHTSA over the gas tank on one of the Jeep models from 1997 to 2005.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
All Lordstown Assembled 1.4T Automatic Cruzen are in the recall. This means all US, Canada, and some Israeli Cruzen are involved.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
We had a couple of members drown their Cruzen before the engine shield recall. Deep water is deep water. This sounds like a faulty part from a supplier.

Also, nothing yet at the NHTSA's safercar.gov site.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
This really sucks.My wife was just at the dealership today to get her right side rear brake drum and shoes replaced at only 5300 miles and they didn't say a word about this.It would have been nice to have it all done at the same time as to not have to make another trip.
It's very possible your dealership didn't even know about this recall. I have discovered that dealerships frequently find out the same way we do, from the media. There is a process for recalls. First based on production records, GM agrees with the NHTSA on the VIN numbers involved in the recall. Then they start the process of acquiring any parts needed so they can ship those parts to the local distribution centers. Then they notify dealerships. The media usually finds out from the NHTSA as soon as the recall specifics are finalized between the NHTSA and manufacturer. Depending on the complexity of the recall, it can really be a month or two before notices start going out to owners. GM doesn't want to send the notices until dealerships have been notified and have a reasonable number of "recall kits" on hand and ready to use.

Some dealerships, such as mine and apparently ErikBEggs will start performing the recall as soon as they have the information and parts. Others will wait until the post cards are sent to owners.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
She has to take it back to have the windshield seal leak repaired to stop the howling noise above 60 miles per hour anyway so hopefully we can get everything taken care of at that time.I will let you know if there are any problems.
Call ahead to make sure your dealership is aware of and ready to do this recall.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
To all, if my car was involved in this recall and I wasn't having any problems with my brakes I would wait until mid September before contacting my dealership. This is to give the dealership a chance to get the information and parts needed to do this service as well as giving them a chance to deal with cars with known problems. If, however, my car is one of the ones having brake problems or develops brake problems I would contact my dealership immediately.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Erica, I'm sure that some of the cars involved in this recall are out of their B2B warranty based solely on mileage. If an owner has paid for this repair, how do they go about getting reimbursed?

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Thank you Erica.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
In addition to what Blue Angel said, parts tend to be sourced regionally. One of the reasons Toyota, Honda, Ford, and every other car manufacturer with plants in the US and Canada supported the US Government's bailout of GM and Chrysler is they were concerned about the impact to their supply chains. I wouldn't be surprised to see this recall expand to other manufacturers in the US. An example of this was the recall for the faulty express down switches in GM and Toyota trucks and SUVs - the same switch was being used by multiple manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Recalls are for anything. I remember there was a recall on a glovebox in a Cadillac because it causes too much damage to an unbuckled front seat passenger. Maybe that's how we really ended up with knee air bags.

Was that the ugly as sin latch that was installed on the glovebox cover? My Pontiac Transport got that one.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
That is what I meant. I think it may be too early to know for sure. I hope I am in the recall. It would put this 2 tear old breaking issue to bed.
I don't know if you saw my earlier post about who should wait and who should call their dealerships immediately. You're in the latter group. Call them.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Go in and talk to the service manager. Take a copy of your service receipts with you. See if you can get him or her to contact GM engineering about the symptoms your car is having. I don't think GM has completely figured out which vehicles are affected, which is why there has been no "official" notice put up at safercar.gov. Remember, we are very early in the recall process and I'm sure more cars will be added. It sounds like GM's Holden division is included as well and that wasn't part of the first public notice on this recall.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Hi everyone, I owned a cruze 1.8 LS, just wondering if it is included in the recall. I have a 6 speed AT with a 6 speed tiptronic transmission. Please enlighten. Thanks.

At this time, no. Only the 1.4T automatics are included in the US. GM/Canada hasn't issued a recall yet but they will since their Cruze are the same cars.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I'm lost on how it's govenrnment mandated to save you when you decide to not wear a seatbelt to begin with.
The Nanny States of America.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Normally I would never agree with most of what you say, but I agree this seems kinda strange. With the cruze lower engine shield oil fire recall that information was available day one. That's why I said earlier everyone should check back later if they think their car is not effected.

Either way if you are effected GM will send you a letter and if you go to the dealer sometime a few months from now they should inform you of any open recalls.
Normally recall information doesn't get released to the media until the NHTSA site is updated. The shield recall impacted all the Lordstown built Cruzen so it was real easy to identify the affected vehicles. I'm starting to think this recall was publicly announced by GM when they first notified the NHTSA of the recall. Manufacturers have 60 days from initial notification to the NHTSA to get them the "final" recall information, which includes the VIN ranges of affected vehicles, and to start sending out notices to registered owners. Early announcement causes confusion among both owners and dealerships because there is no way to completely verify if your vehicle is in the recall.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
On a little of an off note, remembering the shield recall........Does the 2014 Cruze still have the cut up shield? Just curious.
Yes. It's cut before installation and looks a lot better than many of the dealership hack jobs. The shields themselves haven't changed since the Verano has the same shield.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I received the NHTSA recall notice email a few minutes ago:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=13V360&refurl=email

[HR][/HR]
Report Receipt Date: AUG 15, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V360000
Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected: 292,879
All Products Associated with this Recall

Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)

• CHEVROLETCRUZE2011-2012

Details

2 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: General Motors LLC

SUMMARY:

General Motors (GM) is recalling certain model year 2011-2012 Chevrolet Cruze vehicles equipped with 1.4L DOHC gasoline turbo engines and 6T40 front wheel drive automatic transmissions and equipped with an electric vacuum pump to provide supplemental vacuum for brake assist, when needed. In the affected vehicles, the pump may not activate, resulting in an intermittent reduction or loss of brake assist. CONSEQUENCE:

A loss of braking assistance will require extra pedal force and/or distance to bring the vehicle to a stop, increasing the risk of a crash. REMEDY:

General Motors will notify owners, and dealers will replace a microswitch in the power brake vacuum pipe assembly, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020. GM's recall number is 12213. NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

[HR][/HR]
Supporting Documents (2):
GM Defect Notice to NHTSA
Recall Notice

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.