Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,840 Posts
Heard lots about this...glad they're fixing all of them rather than waiting for (potentially dangerous) problems with em to happen to owners.

·
17,840 Posts
So, I've never dealt with a recall before. I think I'm affected, but not sure. I have a 2012 Cruze LT RS automatic so I'm assuming I'm affected...
They'll send you a recall notice in the mail, at which point you can call your dealer and schedule an appointment to bring it in. It may be several weeks away as they try to get the parts on shelves.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
17,840 Posts
Me too. Thinking back over the "no brakes" threads I've seen here I can't remember any that were for manuals. However, I think I have seen a couple for the LS trims. If I'm remembering correctly I can see this recall being expanded.
Every one I've seen was an auto LT/LTZ.

The pump provides extra vacuum when there is none from a turbocharged engine (e.g. in reverse, 1500 RPM). The turbo is forcing air through the intake manifold at that RPM, which means positive pressure where the vacuum would *normally* come from.

Why not on the manuals? My guess is that most people push in the clutch when braking at low speeds. I usually do.

·
17,840 Posts
Sounds like it may be for those who drive an auto with both feet on the pedals at the same time. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I've seen it happen...although I'm wondering if it has more to do with the valve timing/overlap when warming up in these engines? I know that's why they started using vacuum assist pumps in other VVT motors, and it let them get rid of EGR valves. Or maybe just the 1500 RPM idle when cold.

Color me curious.

·
17,840 Posts
Had the brake recall done on my 2012 LT (1.4T, auto.) Before the recall repair, when I turned on the ignition (run position, not start), I could hear the electric vacuum pump, and feel the brake pedal soften and drop. Since the recall, when I turn on the ignition, no vacuum pump sound and the pedal stays hard. When I start the car the pedal drops. I have not had any braking problems, but I am concerned that the vacuum pump is not working. I will bring it back to the dealer, but wondered if anyone else has had this experience.
I would take it back in - I think you may be on to something. My Cruze keeps brake booster pressure up via the vacuum pump when the key is on and engine isn't running, just as you describe.

Unless the new switch is drastically different in design (which I highly doubt), it sounds like the vacuum pump may not even be operating when it should be.

·
17,840 Posts
I actually had the problem described in the recall before GM issued the recall. Notes for others:
1. My dealer mechanic said that there was a TSB on this, the part he replaced was the exact part listed in this recall. I had it done under warranty, and it was at least 4 months before the recall was sannounced.
2. So, did I have the "recall fix" or not? Cruze developed a coolant leak while I was out of town and my wife took it to the dealer for that, SAME dealer mind, and after fixing the leak they ALSO did the recall fix.

I suspect this means that even if it was fixed once, if it wasn't fixed AFTER the recall announcement, it might just fail again.

It is SCARY when it goes. It always happened to me when the engine was cold and in reverse. When this vacuum switch fails to activate, I put my entire 275lbs through both of my feet on the pedal - car does not stop. I have to take the car out of gear for the brakes to actually slow and stop the car.
I would take it back in - it will likely still be listed under the recall, and just for peace of mind, wouldn't hurt to have the switch replaced again.

I once had a booster fail on me on another car - light turned yellow, I STOOD on the brake pedal from 45 MPH, and slowed to a stop well after the intersection. It is scary.

·
17,840 Posts
Only had poor braking once when backing out of a parking stall. Started the car and immediately hit reverse. (no time for the engine to create much vacuum ?)
Yeah, no vacuum at high idle, which is when the pump would activate if the brake booster was activated.

Your situation is exactly what other owners with failed switches described - no brakes in reverse first thing in the morning.

·
17,840 Posts
I find this a bit hard to believe as ALL automatic 1.4T models from 2011-2012 were recalled for this repair. Since the LTZ cruze only comes as an auto 1.4T, you certainly should have been sent a recall letter.

EDIT: I should add this is a good reason to find a good dealer to get your oil changed at, they would inform you right away of any pending recalls.
Go to my.chevrolet.com and put your VIN number into the recall section of the site & see if there are any open recalls

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.