Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had the brake recall done on my 2012 LT (1.4T, auto.) Before the recall repair, when I turned on the ignition (run position, not start), I could hear the electric vacuum pump, and feel the brake pedal soften and drop. Since the recall, when I turn on the ignition, no vacuum pump sound and the pedal stays hard. When I start the car the pedal drops. I have not had any braking problems, but I am concerned that the vacuum pump is not working. I will bring it back to the dealer, but wondered if anyone else has had this experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, I agree that most vacuum assisted brakes are hard until the engine starts. However, I thought the 1.4t had an electric vacuum pump to provide vacuum when the engine did not (I am guessing due to the turbo boost. The recall was to replace a micro switch that turned on the pump when vacuum was required. Before the recall repair on my car, when I turned the ignition to run (car not started), and stepped on the brake pedal, I could hear the electric pump run, and feel the pedal soften and drop. (So I guess my micro switch was working) This is the first car I have had that did this, but also the first car with an electric vacuum pump. After the recall repair, when the ignition is in the run position, the pump does not run, and the pedal remains hard. When the car is started, the pedal drops, but that could be from intake manifold vacuum, and not the electric pump. I will bring the car back to the dealer, but I wondered if anyone knew if the recall included rewiring the pump to make it work differently. I cannot see why the would be the case.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update --The dealer replaced the new micro-switch and the electric vacuum pump seems to work properly now. Gives me some concern about the quality of the new, improved switches. Fortunately, it is not a critical component.

Thanks to all for your comments. They gave me confidence when returning for the re-repair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.