Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
This is rather simple.
IF your vehicle has not had this concern, wait for the recall notice.......always test the brake action before putting the car in gear.
If the swich sticks, you will have a high, hard brake pedal.
One or two pedal pumps will trigger even a sticky switch.

IF you have experienced the problem, at any time, whether your vehicle falls under the recall or not.....Get it to the dealer if you feel as though you can safely operate the vehicle.
The replacement switch's are available but there are not enouph in the pipeline to replace every switch on every recalled vehicle.

So, if you are having the problem, shut off the computer, stop whining, and get the thing fixed.......there is no dealer in his right mind that will let you leave without repair......unless you choose to take it in that condition.

Longest thread I ever read......for no good reson IMO.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
hydrasport?

Currently the dealers (9/20/13) here in the Chicagoland area are replacing the switch in question with the currently available part #.
They are not trying to duplicate the problem.......if the customer describes the problem and it sounds close to the current failure, they just replace the switch under warranty.
HOWEVER, you did not mention if your car still is under warranty.
If it is not, pay for the replacement.......when the recall arrives there are instructions supplied regarding full re-imbursment from G.M.
The switch's being supplied are the new part# in MOST cases unless the dealer has old stock.
I am unable to determine if a new part# is being used yet.....my dealer has not recieved any verifyable info.

FYI....my dealer has been replacing these things for almost 6 months now.....I am told that even if the switch was replaced under warranty, it will likely be replaced again for the recall.
They recently had the failure on one of the service loaner Cruze's......happened every morning.
I tried it out.....definatly a potental for damage....seemed like no pedal response at all, just like a old car with a bad booster....lots of leg required.
Hard to catch it though.....one bad application and then the switch would trigger the pump and instant assist.
For the remainder of the day, nobody in the shop that drove it had a problem......till the following A.M.

Biggest problem here is G.M.'s insistence on duplication of the problem......my dealer chose to ignore that and just replace as long as the description fit the failure.

In your case, I suspect the dealer will call their rep who will instruct to replace the part regardless of duplication......keep in touch.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I had the recall performed on my 2012 eco automatic yesterday.
Takes more time to write the service ticket than to exchange the switch.

Anyways, it appears the delay was a result of the switch not being available as a service repair part.
Prior to the recall, the switch was only available as part of the entire network of tubes/one way valves that lead from the master cylinder booster unit and vacuum pump to the intake manifold.
The switch specifications had to be changed to prevent "wiskering' and those switches were being used for the assembly mentioned earlier to maintain production.
A part number had to be created and put in the parts ordering system.
Packaging was developed (box is so big you could put 50 switches in it) for one switch and one small tube of assembly lube.
The manufacturer of the switch had to double production for cars being assembled as well as those requiring the new part.
And of course, shipping to and from a parts warehouse.

Good news for those ever needing a switch.....prior to the recall the switch/manifold assembly was on the order of $80.00....
Now, the actual repair part is less than $10.00.....so if your high mileage Cruze has this fail due to age or whatever the cost won't be very memorable.

It is a remove connector, remove switch, install switch, install connector, pump brakes to trigger vacuum pump three times service.....takes just minutes.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Turbocharged and supercharged engines have very low manifold vacuum available at cruise and become positive pressure anytime the turbo or supercharger is called into action.
The power brake booster on the Cruze is vacuum powered, so, to overcome the lack of available vacuum to power it a vacuum pump is enlisted to augment the need for vacuum.

Other designs, such as the Turbo Regal, used a hydraulic assisted booster powered by the power steering pump.
Another example, the supercharged Thunderbirds of the late 80's/early 90's used a electric powered hydro-boost system.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Why not just stop by your dealer and see if they can do it immediatly?
Dealers were sent a large initial quantity knowing that many owners won't wait for the notice.

BTW....You will not loose your brakes...if it fails you will have to press harder, like a old non power brake car......somehow us 'old guys' got them to stop without power assist....you can too.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
****IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE RECALL NOTICE FROM GM STATES: "PARTS ARE NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE, but when part are available, your Chevrolet dealer will replace...no charge. When parts are available we will send you another letter." ********
The dealers have the initial parts order in stock......had my recall done two weeks ago.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I finally have my switch replaced. After a year of complaining GM finally sent a re-call in NOV 2013. The part was a long time coming. I suppose it had to be made by Chinese Orphans, taken out to sea in a rik-shaw ,smuggled on to an ocean liner to the western hemisphere. My warranty is up this month. I can't wait. They only cover the engine after that. They will probably have a answer to all my problems after the warranty runs out!
WOW!
You must've REALLY annoyed someone a Chevrolet.......it appears you are the last Cruze to get this done.....now the book is closed.

I think you should choose your opponents better.....heh heh.

Sorry, saw an excuse to make a ha ha.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Yes, I agree that most vacuum assisted brakes are hard until the engine starts. However, I thought the 1.4t had an electric vacuum pump to provide vacuum when the engine did not (I am guessing due to the turbo boost. The recall was to replace a micro switch that turned on the pump when vacuum was required. Before the recall repair on my car, when I turned the ignition to run (car not started), and stepped on the brake pedal, I could hear the electric pump run, and feel the pedal soften and drop. (So I guess my micro switch was working) This is the first car I have had that did this, but also the first car with an electric vacuum pump. After the recall repair, when the ignition is in the run position, the pump does not run, and the pedal remains hard. When the car is started, the pedal drops, but that could be from intake manifold vacuum, and not the electric pump. I will bring the car back to the dealer, but I wondered if anyone knew if the recall included rewiring the pump to make it work differently. I cannot see why the would be the case.
Something is amiss.....you are correct.
Part of the recall part replacement proceedure includes verifying the pump is triggered (key on, engine not running) by pumping the brake pedal......three performance cycles are to be performed before releasing the car back to the owner.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Problem was that my 2012 LTZ never was included in the recall. When I nearly sent my brake petal through the floor while backing up yesterday and today did I know I had a problem. No light came on to warn me. The dealer told me that when this vac. switch fails, no codes are set. WHY NOT? I could have caused an accident or worse!!! Apparently, the recall wasn't far reaching enough. Thank God no one was behind me or I truly could have killed them. This is very concerning.
When the switch fails you will have a very high, hard pedal with no assist....or minimal assist.

You indicate the pedal went almost to the floor with no braking action to speak of.
This is a different failure....most likely the master cylinder itself is by-passing fluid pressure.
This type of failure can happen to any car, power brakes or not.

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.