Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
201 - 220 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my 2012 LTZ 1.4L Automatic in for this recall, after the dealer ding the back of my car and have the car for a week the check engine light has come on. I got a code reader and for i am getting P0171 code mixture to lean in bank 1, i took out my MAF sensor looks clean and clean it also with MAF sensor cleaner just now. Thing is i seen that where the one o the pump lines going in the the engine area seems to be odd, i can move the hose up and down but, its held in place by clip type lock. Has anyone seen this it just seems off to me like it shouldn't be, i don't think its my O2 sensors.

Feel like i should have not taken it in for the recall, i have the hand break works just as good.. just saying!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually had the problem described in the recall before GM issued the recall. Notes for others:
1. My dealer mechanic said that there was a TSB on this, the part he replaced was the exact part listed in this recall. I had it done under warranty, and it was at least 4 months before the recall was sannounced.
2. So, did I have the "recall fix" or not? Cruze developed a coolant leak while I was out of town and my wife took it to the dealer for that, SAME dealer mind, and after fixing the leak they ALSO did the recall fix.

I suspect this means that even if it was fixed once, if it wasn't fixed AFTER the recall announcement, it might just fail again.

It is SCARY when it goes. It always happened to me when the engine was cold and in reverse. When this vacuum switch fails to activate, I put my entire 275lbs through both of my feet on the pedal - car does not stop. I have to take the car out of gear for the brakes to actually slow and stop the car.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,947 Posts
I actually had the problem described in the recall before GM issued the recall. Notes for others:
1. My dealer mechanic said that there was a TSB on this, the part he replaced was the exact part listed in this recall. I had it done under warranty, and it was at least 4 months before the recall was sannounced.
2. So, did I have the "recall fix" or not? Cruze developed a coolant leak while I was out of town and my wife took it to the dealer for that, SAME dealer mind, and after fixing the leak they ALSO did the recall fix.

I suspect this means that even if it was fixed once, if it wasn't fixed AFTER the recall announcement, it might just fail again.

It is SCARY when it goes. It always happened to me when the engine was cold and in reverse. When this vacuum switch fails to activate, I put my entire 275lbs through both of my feet on the pedal - car does not stop. I have to take the car out of gear for the brakes to actually slow and stop the car.
I would take it back in - it will likely still be listed under the recall, and just for peace of mind, wouldn't hurt to have the switch replaced again.

I once had a booster fail on me on another car - light turned yellow, I STOOD on the brake pedal from 45 MPH, and slowed to a stop well after the intersection. It is scary.

·
10,712 Posts
I would take it back in - it will likely still be listed under the recall, and just for peace of mind, wouldn't hurt to have the switch replaced again.

I once had a booster fail on me on another car - light turned yellow, I STOOD on the brake pedal from 45 MPH, and slowed to a stop well after the intersection. It is scary.
I'm glad mine was less eventful when it went and I was already in limp mode.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey Snm77,

I am truly sorry to hear you are having this concern with your Cruze. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name so I can look into this further for you. I hope to hear from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
My brake vacuum assist is getting flaky on my manual transmission Eco. It was nice having endless brake vacuum when I needed to coast slowly for a long period. This morning it started working again when backing out of my driveway.

I'm assuming it's the switch since the pump seems to work OK once activated. I wonder if they will replace the switch on a manual car?

·
10,712 Posts
My brake vacuum assist is getting flaky on my manual transmission Eco. It was nice having endless brake vacuum when I needed to coast slowly for a long period. This morning it started working again when backing out of my driveway.

I'm assuming it's the switch since the pump seems to work OK once activated. I wonder if they will replace the switch on a manual car?
They may after the other recalls die down. I guess check the fuse as mine took the fuse with it when it finally went.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took my 2012 Eco in to the dealer for a leaking water pump on April 14, a month ago. At the same time the dealer replaced the electric vacuum brake assist micro switch as per the recall. When I drove the car home I noticed a new light "whirring sound" from under the hood .With my poor hearing it was only noticeable when stopped at idle but it was there all the time. I just wrote it off as maybe a "tight bearing" on the new water pump. WRONG !! The new micro switch was faulty and was running the electric vacuum pump anytime the ignition was on. I took it back and the dealer replaced the switch( a full month later) I had taken 4 1-1/2 hour trips with the pump on constantly when normally it probably only runs few seconds and maybe not very often at all on a long drive? Somewhere down the road I am sure it will fail from the misuse..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took my 2012 Eco in to the dealer for a leaking water pump on April 14, a month ago. At the same time the dealer replaced the electric vacuum brake assist micro switch as per the recall. When I drove the car home I noticed a new light "whirring sound" from under the hood .With my poor hearing it was only noticeable when stopped at idle but it was there all the time. I just wrote it off as maybe a "tight bearing" on the new water pump. WRONG !! The new micro switch was faulty and was running the electric vacuum pump anytime the ignition was on. I took it back and the dealer replaced the switch( a full month later) I had taken 4 1-1/2 hour trips with the pump on constantly when normally it probably only runs few seconds and maybe not very often at all on a long drive? Somewhere down the road I am sure it will fail from the misuse..
More Info:: I had determined the micro switch was stuck with an ohm meter. I tapped the switch with my hand (gently) and ended up with an open circuit that now would not close (darn it). Drove the car 3 days with the pump non operational. Only had poor braking once when backing out of a parking stall. Started the car and immediately hit reverse. (no time for the engine to create much vacuum ?)

·
17,947 Posts
Only had poor braking once when backing out of a parking stall. Started the car and immediately hit reverse. (no time for the engine to create much vacuum ?)
Yeah, no vacuum at high idle, which is when the pump would activate if the brake booster was activated.

Your situation is exactly what other owners with failed switches described - no brakes in reverse first thing in the morning.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey So Cal Cruzer,

I am sorry to hear about the experience you had after leaving your Chevrolet dealership. I would like to reach out to your Chevrolet dealership about a re-evaluation. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name. I hope to hear from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
13 Posts
Received the recall notice on Tuesday. Scheduled appointment with the dealer for today (Thursday). In and out in 35 minutes. I had not experienced any of the problems described with the braking.

·
Registered
88 Posts
GM to recall 293,000 Cruze cars over brake assist defect - vagazette.com

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Co will recall 292,879 Chevrolet Cruze cars in the United States due to a defect that can cause loss of the brake assist function in models with the 1.4-liter turbocharged engine and six-speed automatic transmission.

The largest U.S. automaker said on Friday that the problem occurred in model year 2011 and 2012 Cruze cars. GM said it was aware of 27 low-speed crashes, but no injuries, tied to the problem.
Problem was that my 2012 LTZ never was included in the recall. When I nearly sent my brake pedal through the floor while backing up yesterday and today did I know I had a problem. No light came on to warn me. The dealer told me that when this vac. switch fails, no codes are set. WHY NOT? I could have caused an accident or worse!!! Apparently, the recall wasn't far reaching enough. Thank God no one was behind me or I truly could have killed them. This is very concerning.

·
10,712 Posts
Problem was that my 2012 LTZ never was included in the recall. When I nearly sent my brake petal through the floor while backing up yesterday and today did I know I had a problem. No light came on to warn me. The dealer told me that when this vac. switch fails, no codes are set. WHY NOT? I could have caused an accident or worse!!! Apparently, the recall wasn't far reaching enough. Thank God no one was behind me or I truly could have killed them. This is very concerning.
Have someone check your fuses. When I had my actual pump(not switch to control it) blow it took the fuze with it and OnStar found a code on their diagnostics scan.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Problem was that my 2012 LTZ never was included in the recall. When I nearly sent my brake petal through the floor while backing up yesterday and today did I know I had a problem. No light came on to warn me. The dealer told me that when this vac. switch fails, no codes are set. WHY NOT? I could have caused an accident or worse!!! Apparently, the recall wasn't far reaching enough. Thank God no one was behind me or I truly could have killed them. This is very concerning.
When the switch fails you will have a very high, hard pedal with no assist....or minimal assist.

You indicate the pedal went almost to the floor with no braking action to speak of.
This is a different failure....most likely the master cylinder itself is by-passing fluid pressure.
This type of failure can happen to any car, power brakes or not.

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Never had this problem but took in our 2012 LT1 cruze for the recall fix on Aug. 12. Now I do 't have power assist when braking in reverse. Doesn't happen every time, but since we are 4 hours from home on vacation it's not a great feeling. Why wouldn't the new switch get checked before installation?

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Problem was that my 2012 LTZ never was included in the recall.
I find this a bit hard to believe as ALL automatic 1.4T models from 2011-2012 were recalled for this repair. Since the LTZ cruze only comes as an auto 1.4T, you certainly should have been sent a recall letter.

EDIT: I should add this is a good reason to find a good dealer to get your oil changed at, they would inform you right away of any pending recalls.

·
17,947 Posts
I find this a bit hard to believe as ALL automatic 1.4T models from 2011-2012 were recalled for this repair. Since the LTZ cruze only comes as an auto 1.4T, you certainly should have been sent a recall letter.

EDIT: I should add this is a good reason to find a good dealer to get your oil changed at, they would inform you right away of any pending recalls.
Go to my.chevrolet.com and put your VIN number into the recall section of the site & see if there are any open recalls

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks everyone for your information. I had checked the Chevrolet.com website using my VIN before I went to the dealer and the only open recall I had was the loss of antifreeze without leak one. That was done at the same time they put in the vac. switch. The dealer did tell me that now when they replace the switch, they must replace the entire assembly (with the tube also) or else people are having repeat failures on the switch. Why do you think that is the case? Changing those parts fixed the symptoms and my brakes are back to normal, thankfully. Thanks again for all your help!

201 - 220 of 231 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.