Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

GM Recalling 293,000 Cruze's for Brake-Assist Defect

69442 230
GM to recall 293,000 Cruze cars over brake assist defect - vagazette.com

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Co will recall 292,879 Chevrolet Cruze cars in the United States due to a defect that can cause loss of the brake assist function in models with the 1.4-liter turbocharged engine and six-speed automatic transmission.

The largest U.S. automaker said on Friday that the problem occurred in model year 2011 and 2012 Cruze cars. GM said it was aware of 27 low-speed crashes, but no injuries, tied to the problem.
221 - 231 of 231 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Thanks everyone for your information. I had checked the Chevrolet.com website using my VIN before I went to the dealer and the only open recall I had was the loss of antifreeze without leak one. That was done at the same time they put in the vac. switch. The dealer did tell me that now when they replace the switch, they must replace the entire assembly (with the tube also) or else people are having repeat failures on the switch. Why do you think that is the case? Changing those parts fixed the symptoms and my brakes are back to normal, thankfully. Thanks again for all your help!
Interesting comment from your dealership about replacing the entire assembly. I wonder if that's why some members have reported issues after having the switch replaced.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
FWIW, my '12 Eco MT has this same issue. Since there's no automatic transmission to drive the car ahead while my foot is on the brakes, there's no safety issue, BUT the switch has failed none the less and the vacuum pump brake assist is not working.

While this may only be a safety issue on automatic equipped cars, the pump is there and is intended to function on manual equipped cars as well.

I have not planned to get my dealer involved in fixing this yet, but when I do I will update the thread.

2012LTZPRETTYLIGHTBLUE said:
Changing those parts fixed the symptoms and my brakes are back to normal...
Does your invoice happen to state the part number(s) replaced? I would be interested in getting the price of the parts. If they're less than ~$50 I would likely just change them myself rather than deal with an all day dealer visit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, I noticed that too and looked up the part number they listed. I thought maybe it was an assembly but it was not as it was just the plastic tubing. However, I found this link which includes all the details including the part number and photos of how to change it!!!! Here's the link. Let me know if you can't get to it and I'll get it to you.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ucm445630/rcrit-13v360-8426p.pdf

221 - 231 of 231 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.