Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 231 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
It appears that there is a vacuum solenoid just to the left of the liquid reservior for the master cylinder on the brake booster.

I have no confirmed details, but if that's the issue it appears like it will be a fast inexpensive fix. Given it's a safety system I believe GM is responsible well beyond the 3 year 36,000 warranty so it will be free at the dealership.

I have an open recall for the splash shield, and I really like how clean the original splash shield keeps the engine clean in a salty winter.. Well that's another issue..
In the US car manufacturers are required to provide recalls for 10 years from the end of the model year. Chrysler just went through a fight with the NHTSA over the gas tank on one of the Jeep models from 1997 to 2005.

·
Registered
162 Posts
DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Co will recall 292,879 Chevrolet Cruze cars in the United States due to a defect that can cause loss of the brake assist function in models with the 1.4-liter turbocharged engine and six-speed automatic transmission." To blk88verde: Yes, the 1.4L Turbo ARE included in this recall according to this Reuters cut/paste I posted above.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
All Lordstown Assembled 1.4T Automatic Cruzen are in the recall. This means all US, Canada, and some Israeli Cruzen are involved.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here we go again! This is the 4th recall I 've had with my 2011 1.4T Auto. Always when I'm about to go on vacation. I wonder what the Chevy design people in Detroit are going to come up with as "FIX"? Last recall they hacked the underside with a hack saw! Maybe they can use the same hack saw & cut the brakes off? Then use the same saw & cut a hole in the floor board, so we can stop with our feet on the ground. Oh wait they cut the air deflector off the bottom of the engine bay already, we would get water inside if it rains! I can't wait till I pay for this car. No one will buy it from me because the recalls, are so many & dangerous. The steering can fall off, the trans linkage will also fall off, The car catches fire, Now the brakes won't stop the car.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Here we go again! This is the 4th recall I 've had with my 2011 1.4T Auto. Always when I'm about to go on vacation. I wonder what the Chevy design people in Detroit are going to come up with as "FIX"? Last recall they hacked the underside with a hack saw! Maybe they can use the same hack saw & cut the brakes off? Then use the same saw & cut a hole in the floor board, so we can stop with our feet on the ground. Oh wait they cut the air deflector off the bottom of the engine bay already, we would get water inside if it rains! I can't wait till I pay for this car. No one will buy it from me because the recalls, are so many & dangerous. The steering can fall off, the trans linkage will also fall off, The car catches fire, Now the brakes won't stop the car.
I think you're taking this a little too far. You're overreacting and over exaggerating.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
116 Posts
This really sucks.My wife was just at the dealership today to get her right side rear brake drum and shoes replaced at only 5300 miles and they didn't say a word about this.It would have been nice to have it all done at the same time as to not have to make another trip.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
We had a couple of members drown their Cruzen before the engine shield recall. Deep water is deep water. This sounds like a faulty part from a supplier.

Also, nothing yet at the NHTSA's safercar.gov site.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've seen it happen...although I'm wondering if it has more to do with the valve timing/overlap when warming up in these engines? I know that's why they started using vacuum assist pumps in other VVT motors, and it let them get rid of EGR valves. Or maybe just the 1500 RPM idle when cold.

Color me curious.
According to this :2011-'12 Chevrolet Cruze Recalled for Brake-Assist Defect | Edmunds.com it is a cold start issue "He said the problem sometimes becomes apparent during a "cold start."

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
It likely does not affect the manual transmission cars since the turbo dumps boost and goes into bypass, creating vacuum when the throttle is "closed", such as when decelerating with the car either in gear or neutral. Either way, enough vacuum is made to recharge the brake booster. I suspect that manual cars see a bit more vacuum than automatic cars since the turbo is close to fully bypassed any time a manual driver is off the gas. Not sure what an automatic does.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I just left service today.

*Shurg* no need to complain, it is free!

Recalls happen all the time.. it is better that they figure it out and correct the problem.

If it means anything, 50,000 miles in and my brakes are still pristine :D

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Originally Posted by HisandHersThis really sucks.My wife was just at the dealership today to get her right side rear brake drum and shoes replaced at only 5300 miles and they didn't say a word about this.It would have been nice to have it all done at the same time as to not have to make another trip.
Hello HisandHers,

I would be more than happy to research your vehicle's history. Because recalls are VIN specific I'd be able to discover, if your vehicle has been marked for service. Please send a PM with your VIN and I'll get the results of my search to you.

Marlea Wilson
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
This really sucks.My wife was just at the dealership today to get her right side rear brake drum and shoes replaced at only 5300 miles and they didn't say a word about this.It would have been nice to have it all done at the same time as to not have to make another trip.
It's very possible your dealership didn't even know about this recall. I have discovered that dealerships frequently find out the same way we do, from the media. There is a process for recalls. First based on production records, GM agrees with the NHTSA on the VIN numbers involved in the recall. Then they start the process of acquiring any parts needed so they can ship those parts to the local distribution centers. Then they notify dealerships. The media usually finds out from the NHTSA as soon as the recall specifics are finalized between the NHTSA and manufacturer. Depending on the complexity of the recall, it can really be a month or two before notices start going out to owners. GM doesn't want to send the notices until dealerships have been notified and have a reasonable number of "recall kits" on hand and ready to use.

Some dealerships, such as mine and apparently ErikBEggs will start performing the recall as soon as they have the information and parts. Others will wait until the post cards are sent to owners.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Since this hasn't shown up on Cruzen built at other plants, I wonder who (and where) the supplier is of this "brake assist" component? Does GM source brake parts from TRW (Mexico & China) like Chrysler does?

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
All I have to say is thank God that it is not my car since my car is an Eco 6MT. I'm not trying to cast any disparaging remarks on my brothers or sisters. It was just a thought that I had.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
15,862 Posts
You've earned your title!

:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello HisandHers,

I would be more than happy to research your vehicle's history. Because recalls are VIN specific I'd be able to discover, if your vehicle has been marked for service. Please send a PM with your VIN and I'll get the results of my search to you.

Marlea Wilson
Chevrolet Customer Service
She has to take it back to have the windshield seal leak repaired to stop the howling noise above 60 miles per hour anyway so hopefully we can get everything taken care of at that time.I will let you know if there are any problems.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
She has to take it back to have the windshield seal leak repaired to stop the howling noise above 60 miles per hour anyway so hopefully we can get everything taken care of at that time.I will let you know if there are any problems.
Call ahead to make sure your dealership is aware of and ready to do this recall.

21 - 40 of 231 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.