Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 60 of 231 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
To all, if my car was involved in this recall and I wasn't having any problems with my brakes I would wait until mid September before contacting my dealership. This is to give the dealership a chance to get the information and parts needed to do this service as well as giving them a chance to deal with cars with known problems. If, however, my car is one of the ones having brake problems or develops brake problems I would contact my dealership immediately.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Erica, I'm sure that some of the cars involved in this recall are out of their B2B warranty based solely on mileage. If an owner has paid for this repair, how do they go about getting reimbursed?

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Obermd,

Any customer who has paid for a repair that later becomes a recalled item can submit a reimbursement form at your local dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Thank you Erica.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I find the terminology confusing. When I hear "brake assist" I think of the feature that applies full brake pressure when it senses the driver reacting to an emergency stop situation.
Vacuum-boosted brake assist. AKA power brakes. I see where the confusion comes from, since some cars do have emergency brake assist that does exactly what you said.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Interesting that this seems to be confined to the Lordstown plant. I wonder if this is just a bad batch issue or "bogus parts"with the microswitches? I'd find it strange that the Aussie Holden Cruze would not use the same GM component supplier for economies of scale in production. Also interesting there was a break point in production of the 2013 model that changed the requirement for this recall. A new dash number microswitch wasinstalled at that point? I'd be interested to know the part number of the suspect microswitch and see if matches what we have downunder.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I'd be interested to know the part number of the suspect microswitch and see if matches what we have downunder.
It very well could be the same part from the same company. Recalls are usually a regional thing, though, because by the time a recall is issued there is usually very little that is NOT known about the problem. It may have been a bad batch of parts that got into circulation, and though QC tracking methods they are able to track the suspect parts through the network and find out when and where they were used. If that's the case here, they will feel confident that they have identified the models affected and where they were built.

This could also NOT be the case, and maybe a completely new switch is required (likely here since ALL vehicles with the switch are recalled). Maybe they changed to a different switch to alleviate the problem, and some time after that the issue grew "popular" enough with the Feds that a recall was deemed necessary. If this is the case we will probably never know what the issue with the switch was... maybe QC, or maybe design related. All we will know is that there's a new part number that supersedes the old one.

Even if it is the same switch used in Aus, there may not be a recall in that region based on statistics... it may never grow to be a large enough issue, or it may not be an issue at all. Example, if the reason for the switch malfunction is related to the operating environment it's possible there would be no failures of the switch in Aus. These are usually complicated issues, and the public is never made aware of all the gritty little details that go into making the decisions.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
In addition to what Blue Angel said, parts tend to be sourced regionally. One of the reasons Toyota, Honda, Ford, and every other car manufacturer with plants in the US and Canada supported the US Government's bailout of GM and Chrysler is they were concerned about the impact to their supply chains. I wouldn't be surprised to see this recall expand to other manufacturers in the US. An example of this was the recall for the faulty express down switches in GM and Toyota trucks and SUVs - the same switch was being used by multiple manufacturers.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
I had Chevy Customer Service run the VIN for my 2/23/12 build car, and it's clear. So apparently this recall doesn't affect all 2012s, but who knows where the cutoff is.

Reactions: obermd

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
I had Chevy Customer Service run the VIN for my 2/23/12 build car, and it's clear. So apparently this recall doesn't affect all 2012s, but who knows where the cutoff is.
Chevrolet told me to inform everyone I know and on here with a cruze that are affected to check their Chevrolet owner center periodically as there will be updating on everyones cruze that could be affected in the recall. If anyone doesn't have a Chevrolet owner center account....here's the link: www.my.Chevrolet. com. Then just go to create and add all your information. You can even link your onstar account and Sirius xm account so you can view it all in one place:).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree with what Blue Angel and Obermd have said and it could have been the case. I did see early this morning the local car web pages and Government product recall site has now listed the Aussie Cruze 1.4 for this issue. Now we wait for the letters to come out. :). I don't see this being resolved in Australia until early 2014. I've had brake parts on order for a Techline fix for over 4 months. The new parts ordering/tracking software Holden installed has caused many delays. Still as long as I'm aware of the microswitch issue when there is a low vacuum condition, I can risk mitigate until it is resolved. [h=3]Product description[/h]MY 2011- 2012 JH Cruze 1.4 litre Turbo Automatic Transmission [h=3]Identifying features[/h]MY 2011- 2012 JH Cruze 1.4 litre Turbo Automatic Transmission Vehicles only are affected.

Affected Build Range is
6G1PD5E80BL518864 - 6G1PE6E8XCL661387

Production Dates
22nd February 2011 - 8th June 2012[h=3]What are the defects?[/h]The vehicles supplementary electric vacuum pump may not work when the engine is cold.[h=3]What are the hazards?[/h]When the engine is cold and does not have enough vacuum the braking performance of the vehicle will be reduced, which poses a potential crash hazard.[h=3]Where the product was sold[/h]
  • Nationally
[h=3]Traders who sold this product[/h]All Holden Dealers Nationally [h=3]Supplier[/h]GM Holden

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Recalls are for anything. I remember there was a recall on a glovebox in a Cadillac because it causes too much damage to an unbuckled front seat passenger. Maybe that's how we really ended up with knee air bags.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Was that the ugly as sin latch that was installed on the glovebox cover? My Pontiac Transport got that one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been having unsually breaking issues since my car was new. Wonderful GM service could never find anything. I guess they finally did.

I checked on the chevy website, entered vin info, and it said no recalls. I think my car has a breaking issue, so I hope that the system has not updated all the vins of the car affected.

41 - 60 of 231 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.