Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

GM Recalling 293,000 Cruze's for Brake-Assist Defect

70023 230
GM to recall 293,000 Cruze cars over brake assist defect - vagazette.com

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Co will recall 292,879 Chevrolet Cruze cars in the United States due to a defect that can cause loss of the brake assist function in models with the 1.4-liter turbocharged engine and six-speed automatic transmission.

The largest U.S. automaker said on Friday that the problem occurred in model year 2011 and 2012 Cruze cars. GM said it was aware of 27 low-speed crashes, but no injuries, tied to the problem.
61 - 80 of 231 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
That is what I meant. I think it may be too early to know for sure. I hope I am in the recall. It would put this 2 tear old breaking issue to bed.
I don't know if you saw my earlier post about who should wait and who should call their dealerships immediately. You're in the latter group. Call them.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Go in and talk to the service manager. Take a copy of your service receipts with you. See if you can get him or her to contact GM engineering about the symptoms your car is having. I don't think GM has completely figured out which vehicles are affected, which is why there has been no "official" notice put up at safercar.gov. Remember, we are very early in the recall process and I'm sure more cars will be added. It sounds like GM's Holden division is included as well and that wasn't part of the first public notice on this recall.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Hi everyone, I owned a cruze 1.8 LS, just wondering if it is included in the recall. I have a 6 speed AT with a 6 speed tiptronic transmission. Please enlighten. Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
At this time, no. Only the 1.4T automatics are included in the US. GM/Canada hasn't issued a recall yet but they will since their Cruze are the same cars.

10,589 Posts
Was that the ugly as sin latch that was installed on the glovebox cover? My Pontiac Transport got that one.
LOL, nope but that would seem like a legit concern

Tests conducted by the government found that a front seat passenger not wearing a seat belt could strike the glove box door and sustain leg injuries in a crash.
I'm lost on how it's govenrnment mandated to save you when you decide to not wear a seatbelt to begin with.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I'm lost on how it's govenrnment mandated to save you when you decide to not wear a seatbelt to begin with.
The Nanny States of America.

10,589 Posts
The way that our glove box has that edged lip may be the reason we have the 2 extra air bags. GM took that extra step to prevent another randon recall like this most likely. Same timeframe Rolls Royce had a recall for hood ornament failing to retract because it causes un nessasary damage to pedestrians when hit by the car.

· Registered
678 Posts
Recalls are for anything. I remember there was a recall on a glovebox in a Cadillac because it causes too much damage to an unbuckled front seat passenger
No, they are not for "anything". They are generally only for safety-related defects or non-compliance w/FMVSS. See Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA.

But yes, there can even be recalls that mean putting on a sticker!
2012 Nissan Titan Recalled for Mislabeled Capacity Information - Automotive News
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=12V102000&refurl=rss

Or, they could even be caused by work done by a (apparently despised) dealer group/region: Toyota recalling 16 popular models including Camry, Prius and Corolla for airbag risks | Torque News.

It is puzzling that this recall and all the associated documents aren't up on NHTSA's web site yet. Normally, those documents are pretty insightful and would put to rest a lot of the speculation going on in this thread, which I've only skimmed.

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
It is puzzling that this recall and all the associated documents aren't up on NHTSA's web site yet. Normally, those documents are pretty insightful and would put to rest a lot of the speculation going on in this thread, which I've only skimmed.
Normally I would never agree with most of what you say, but I agree this seems kinda strange. With the cruze lower engine shield oil fire recall that information was available day one. That's why I said earlier everyone should check back later if they think their car is not effected.

Either way if you are effected GM will send you a letter and if you go to the dealer sometime a few months from now they should inform you of any open recalls.

· Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Well I'm sure we will be notified if our vin#'s are affected. Until then as far as I'm concerned my brakes work just fine at stopping my car.

· Registered
216 Posts
GM Holden have advised of one incident in relation to the low vacuum condition in Australia. Looking across the web this seems to be more global each day but is limited to the 1.4 auto trans. The parameters of this condition seem to be well defined so it will be just a case of the supply chain system keeping up with demand of a new part to satisfy customer concerns.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Normally I would never agree with most of what you say, but I agree this seems kinda strange. With the cruze lower engine shield oil fire recall that information was available day one. That's why I said earlier everyone should check back later if they think their car is not effected.

Either way if you are effected GM will send you a letter and if you go to the dealer sometime a few months from now they should inform you of any open recalls.
Normally recall information doesn't get released to the media until the NHTSA site is updated. The shield recall impacted all the Lordstown built Cruzen so it was real easy to identify the affected vehicles. I'm starting to think this recall was publicly announced by GM when they first notified the NHTSA of the recall. Manufacturers have 60 days from initial notification to the NHTSA to get them the "final" recall information, which includes the VIN ranges of affected vehicles, and to start sending out notices to registered owners. Early announcement causes confusion among both owners and dealerships because there is no way to completely verify if your vehicle is in the recall.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
On a little of an off note, remembering the shield recall........Does the 2014 Cruze still have the cut up shield? Just curious.
Yes. It's cut before installation and looks a lot better than many of the dealership hack jobs. The shields themselves haven't changed since the Verano has the same shield.

· Registered
216 Posts
I'm looking at the system under the hood last night, and I assume this is the switch and pump GM is talking about. I never noticed the supplementary pump until I started tracing the vacuum lines. Just wonder if the car will set a code if the elec pump fails later in life. Thought it was an interesting design to the vacuum system to provide a little more suction when required. By the sound of the current situation for the recall, it doesn't seem to have a feedback signal when it commanded to operate, so one would not know when it fails. That is until the pedal gets hard again during the low vacuum scenario... Auto part Vehicle Car
Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Fuel line

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I received the NHTSA recall notice email a few minutes ago:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=13V360&refurl=email

[HR][/HR]
Report Receipt Date: AUG 15, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V360000
Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected: 292,879
All Products Associated with this Recall

Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)

• CHEVROLETCRUZE2011-2012

Details

2 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: General Motors LLC

SUMMARY:

General Motors (GM) is recalling certain model year 2011-2012 Chevrolet Cruze vehicles equipped with 1.4L DOHC gasoline turbo engines and 6T40 front wheel drive automatic transmissions and equipped with an electric vacuum pump to provide supplemental vacuum for brake assist, when needed. In the affected vehicles, the pump may not activate, resulting in an intermittent reduction or loss of brake assist. CONSEQUENCE:

A loss of braking assistance will require extra pedal force and/or distance to bring the vehicle to a stop, increasing the risk of a crash. REMEDY:

General Motors will notify owners, and dealers will replace a microswitch in the power brake vacuum pipe assembly, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020. GM's recall number is 12213. NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

[HR][/HR]
Supporting Documents (2):
GM Defect Notice to NHTSA
Recall Notice

· Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,189 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Wait until the third quarter is over. Then GM will recall all cars with this brake problem. They want to show a profit in the third quarter. The stock holders are more important than your safety don't you think! One more year of payments for me. My wife was complaining about six months ago. She claimed upon start up, coming out of the garage, she almost hit the house. I guess I'm lucky I have the remote start, so the idle will come down before I get in. I'm still awaiting my recall?

61 - 80 of 231 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.