Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
81 - 100 of 231 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Wait until the third quarter is over. Then GM will recall all cars with this brake problem. They want to show a profit in the third quarter. The stock holders are more important than your safety don't you think! One more year of payments for me. My wife was complaining about six months ago. She claimed upon start up, coming out of the garage, she almost hit the house. I guess I'm lucky I have the remote start, so the idle will come down before I get in. I'm still awaiting my recall?
Right - compare this with the huge fines Toyota was hit with because they wouldn't even acknowledge they had problems. If you hate your Cruze so much trade it now - even after this repair is done you will still find a reason, real or imagined, to complain about. It has only been two weeks from the formal recall notification. Sometimes I think I preferred the pre-internet process for recalls - owners and the media wouldn't find out until owners started receiving post cards or you took your car in for some other service (routine or repair) and they looked it up.

· Resident Forum Drunkard
8,257 Posts
OB , Did you Do that to that Guy ? :goodjob: I love it !

· Registered
60 Posts
Right - compare this with the huge fines Toyota was hit with because they wouldn't even acknowledge they had problems. If you hate your Cruze so much trade it now - even after this repair is done you will still find a reason, real or imagined, to complain about. It has only been two weeks from the formal recall notification. Sometimes I think I preferred the pre-internet process for recalls - owners and the media wouldn't find out until owners started receiving post cards or you took your car in for some other service (routine or repair) and they looked it up.
I don't own a Toyota never did never will. I do own a Cruze, and the braking system is a serious part of the automobile system. If it was a door latch, I wouldn't be as excited about a recall. As far as the comment about people being informed. You have probably been in the dark to long or you work for Chevy. If the repair is done with professional workmanship & the proper part I will applaud GM. If they just do a quick & simple fix like they did on the last recall by hacking off the offending part: I will complain.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I don't own a Toyota never did never will. I do own a Cruze, and the braking system is a serious part of the automobile system. If it was a door latch, I wouldn't be as excited about a recall. As far as the comment about people being informed. You have probably been in the dark to long or you work for Chevy. If the repair is done with professional workmanship & the proper part I will applaud GM. If they just do a quick & simple fix like they did on the last recall by hacking off the offending part: I will complain.
This is a faulty switch that is being replaced. It takes time to get the replacement switches out to the dealerships. If this is a repeatable brake problem (i.e., it didn't just occur the one time) contact your local dealership and get them to push through doing this recall for you before the notifications go out. Otherwise remember there is a reason all cars have a secondary low speed braking system that does not depend on hydraulics. In the case of the Cruze this is the handbrake. If you hold the release button in you can actually use the hand brake as a low speed braking system, but this is unfortunately a skill that isn't taught anymore but should be - brake lines do fail.

For the record - not only don't I work for GM, but I don't currently nor have I ever worked for any car manufacturer, so when I praise, complain, defend, or throw barbs it's based on my experiences as an owner. I have owned a lot of GMs however and currently own two Cruzen. My wife drives a Toyota Solara SLE Convertible.

· Registered
60 Posts
This is a faulty switch that is being replaced. It takes time to get the replacement switches out to the dealerships. If this is a repeatable brake problem (i.e., it didn't just occur the one time) contact your local dealership and get them to push through doing this recall for you before the notifications go out. Otherwise remember there is a reason all cars have a secondary low speed braking system that does not depend on hydraulics. In the case of the Cruze this is the handbrake. If you hold the release button in you can actually use the hand brake as a low speed braking system, but this is unfortunately a skill that isn't taught anymore but should be - brake lines do fail. For the record - not only don't I work for GM, but I don't currently nor have I ever worked for any car manufacturer, so when I praise, complain, defend, or throw barbs it's based on my experiences as an owner. I have owned a lot of GMs however and currently own two Cruzen. My wife drives a Toyota Solara SLE Convertible.
Are those powder puffs on your avatar your wife' or yours? I see why your defending so vividly the cruze: you made two bad decisions buying two. I probably have owned more GM products than you have. This one is beginning to look like the Corvair & Vega. I see by the amount of post you have on this site, you have no life! The hand brake is for parking.

· Banned
2,224 Posts
IMPO...anybody that buys a cruze, let alone any GM product isn't stupid for doing it. GM products are far a higher quality car than most manufacturers. Even though gm hasn't been around long as ford has, I still believe GM has the best cars around. You CANNOT go wrong with anything from general motors. I also think you and most people on here are being pretty bias of gm lately. And im tired of it. Idk what your guys problem is, but you seriously need to consider the facts and issues more before anything is ever said. If you had a pos ford, dodge, or Toyota, would you be saying the same crap about them too like you do GM bec of a minor or major hick up or two, or would you blow it off and think "Oh well...I still love the car, it doesn't phase me any, and keep smiling? Maybe, maybe not. The point is, you cant just degrade GM like that. Most people don't realize how hard it is to build a car and trying to get it close to perfect as they can. Its even triple as hard when you got thousands of vehicles to be made. As far as this quality control thing ive been hearing about lately with the poor side of it...and what I heard doesn't thrill me too much with all the negativity. Im not chewing anybody's ass out here.....As a former GM employee, I cannot emphasize how much you cannot do that trash talking about GM. Your gonna need friends some day in the GM world with service stuff and all. GM remembers this type of stuff once it is seen on here because it goes to the top whether you know it or not and they will be like " Hmm, well this person doesn't like us because of all the things they have said about us"...so we aren't going to be much help to him/her. Just saying. Might want to slow down on your rude comments and putdowns. It doesn't matter if you don't own a gm vehicle anymore...what does matter, if you decide to buy one again later down the road or currently have a gm car, your comments will do a long way. Trust me...believe me. Been there done that. I said some crazy **** about my dealership because of a service issue, and it bout cost me BIG TIME. Think about it people.

Reactions: obermd

· Lyrical Wordsmith
6,632 Posts
Are those powder puffs on your avatar your wife' or yours? I see why your defending so vividly the cruze: you made two bad decisions buying two. I probably have owned more GM products than you have. This one is beginning to look like the Corvair & Vega. I see by the amount of post you have on this site, you have no life! The hand brake is for parking.
Bashing GM is one thing. Bashing a member is another. Behavior like this is NOT tolerated on the forum. You are unhappy with GM we understand but why blame EVERYTHING on them and then take out it on this site. This community is made to help each other. Are you here to help? NO from what we see your here to start trouble. This is a warning. A final one. And I know you will find a smart response to this one. The next bashing of GM or another member and your gone. You are frustrated and coming out the wrong way. Lets just hope its only out of frustration and not grudges against a car company and your taking out on us. So lets forget this happened shall we? And start over.

/end mod rant

Sent from my phone. Excuse my excellent grammar. Autoguide APP!

· Banned
2,224 Posts
I'll chip in to buy him a snickers.
LMAO...that's funny **** dude =]. Ill buy him a whole box for all Id care haha. just like the saying goes in the commercials.."Your not yourself til you have a snickers". bahaha

· Registered
216 Posts
:th_SmlyROFL:......This forum provides access to a huge knowledge bank of information about the Cruze that allows you to make better informed decisions that work for you. We know there is an issue with the microswitch and what the consequence could be. We also understand the parameters of the issue and just need to be a little bit driver smart when operating the vehicle under those condition. The global supply chain will catch up with demand and we will get the switched under a Techline fix. My advice to my wife in the interim is to allow the car to warm up a little more before departing. You can hear the pump operating after a cold start when you apply the brakes several times, so I know the system is operating correctly at this point. As OB said, the Park brake is a good secondary system that can be used to stop the car. Yep I'd pull the bugger on if the pump had failed and the pedal felt hard during that initial warm up period.

· Registered
60 Posts
The problem
According to the NHTSA bulletin and General Motors, the pump may not activate in affected vehicles. This may result in the intermittent reduction or loss of brake assist.
Such a condition would require extra pedal force by the driver and/or a longer distance to stop the car, both of which increase the risk of a crash.
The automaker began an investigation into the problem after a field product report was issued for a brake performance complaint in July 2012. General Motors said that it had identified “27 potentially related reports with allegations of low-speed crashes and no injuries in driveways and parking lots on the subject vehicles.”
What General Motors will do
Although no notification schedule has yet been determined, General Motors will notify owners and dealers will replace a microswitch in the power brake vacuum pipe assembly. The service will be performed at no charge.
The General Motors safety recall number is 12213. Prior to owner notification, owners of 2011 and 2012 Chevrolet Cruze sedans with any questions or concerns may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020.
Alternatively, owners of vehicles involved in the campaign may contact NHTSA’s Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 or go to http://www.safercar.gov. Reference the NHTSA campaign ID No. 13V360000.

· Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Is this still specifically pertaining to automatic Cruzes with the 1.4l ant AT?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
According to the documentation provided by GM to the NHTSA it is only the 1.4T mated with the automatic transmission. The issue is that the brake booster requires more vacuum than the engine can provide when at idle and this switch provides the electrical power needed to create the additional vacuum. The switch is only on the automatics and not on the manuals. The 1.8 engine apparently provides sufficient power even at idle.

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts

· Resident Forum Drunkard
8,257 Posts
LMAO...that's funny **** dude =]. Ill buy him a whole box for all Id care haha. just like the saying goes in the commercials.."Your not yourself til you have a snickers". bahaha

Yer doing it wrong . rmass and you need to buy Mick and myself a box of snickers .
We appreciate em more !

· Banned
2,224 Posts
BrianV...im not sure about that lol. I loooooove snickers a lot =]. I buy a box of snickers from the grocery store every once in awhile...it may not be a full box but its a lot of candy bars lol

· Registered
21 Posts
You may diagnose the problem yourself. With the key on engine off.( gear selector in Park with the parking braking set) Exhaust the vacuum from the power brake reservoir by pumping the brakes a few times until the brake pedal has firm resistance and no more power assist is evident. If you continue to have power assist with the KOEO and you are able to hear the vacuum assist motor running you have not incurred the problem. If the vacuum pump is not audibly running while pumping the brake pedal, get out and lightly tap on the vacuum switch mounted to the power brake booster. If the vacuum pump begins run. Recheck that you have obtained power assist, you have a faulty micro switch. the GM pt.# is 13375241. There is no superseded part available as of now, but the Dealer will replace the switch with a new one with same design as OEM....

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Johnny-

Thanks for the info. This is great information that brings this thread back on topic. A reasonable way to diagnose and test for this issue, while awaiting the recall.

Thanks for posting the part number as well. Doing a quick google search shows this part retails for about $80.00 and includes the hoses from the intake manifold to the switch, and from the switch to the vacuum pump.

When this recall occurs it will be interesting to see if the new part is just the switch, or the switch with the hoses.

It looks like replacing just the switch would be easier than removing the hose from the vacuum pump. Maybe a long arm can reach it from the top of the car. I'm sure it's no problem from the bottom on a lift.. However, most of us on this forum don't have access to lifts.

Thanks

· Registered
21 Posts
the pipe from the intake to the micro switch / check valve is molded together. I just had mine replaced yesterday under warranty. the part had a tag "made in Poland" (no pun intended)
Johnny-

Thanks for the info. This is great information that brings this thread back on topic. A reasonable way to diagnose and test for this issue, while awaiting the recall.

Thanks for posting the part number as well. Doing a quick google search shows this part retails for about $80.00 and includes the hoses from the intake manifold to the switch, and from the switch to the vacuum pump.

When this recall occurs it will be interesting to see if the new part is just the switch, or the switch with the hoses.

It looks like replacing just the switch would be easier than removing the hose from the vacuum pump. Maybe a long arm can reach it from the top of the car. I'm sure it's no problem from the bottom on a lift.. However, most of us on this forum don't have access to lifts.

Thanks

81 - 100 of 231 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.