Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
121 - 140 of 231 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
To all, if my car was involved in this recall and I wasn't having any problems with my brakes I would wait until mid September before contacting my dealership. This is to give the dealership a chance to get the information and parts needed to do this service as well as giving them a chance to deal with cars with known problems. If, however, my car is one of the ones having brake problems or develops brake problems I would contact my dealership immediately.
I received the NHTSA recall notice email a few minutes ago:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=13V360&refurl=email

[HR][/HR]
Report Receipt Date: AUG 15, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V360000
Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected: 292,879
All Products Associated with this Recall

Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)
  • CHEVROLETCRUZE2011-2012

Details

2 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: General Motors LLC

SUMMARY:

General Motors (GM) is recalling certain model year 2011-2012 Chevrolet Cruze vehicles equipped with 1.4L DOHC gasoline turbo engines and 6T40 front wheel drive automatic transmissions and equipped with an electric vacuum pump to provide supplemental vacuum for brake assist, when needed. In the affected vehicles, the pump may not activate, resulting in an intermittent reduction or loss of brake assist. CONSEQUENCE:

A loss of braking assistance will require extra pedal force and/or distance to bring the vehicle to a stop, increasing the risk of a crash. REMEDY:

General Motors will notify owners, and dealers will replace a microswitch in the power brake vacuum pipe assembly, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020. GM's recall number is 12213. NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

[HR][/HR]
Supporting Documents (2):
GM Defect Notice to NHTSA
Recall Notice
NHTSA was formally notified on August 15, 2013 of this recall. GM has 90 days (my earlier statement of 60 was incorrect) or Nov 13, 2013 to notify owners and dealerships.

I reiterate - if you are having brake system problems with either a cold engine or engine at idle and you have a 2011 or 2012 Cruze LT Automatic or LTZ, take the recall information in to your dealership and have them call GM for assistance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Took the car to the dealer with the recall number and described the problem. The service writer actually wrote on the repair order that customer complained of "loose of brakes at times". Not exactly what i stated, really not even close. But they knew what the issue was after i spoke with them in person that afternoon.The dealer called GM tech support. i have no idea what was discussed between the dealer and GM support, but my wife is driving this everyday now and no one beleives the issue has been corrected.
Tell me, if they have no updated parts and your car has displayed the symptoms in the "recall", what should an owner do? Continue to drive the car for a few more months? Wait for the postcard in the mail? Hope it doesn't happen again and you get into a wreck? A lot of forum members had comments (12 pages) but no one had a reasonable response to the owners who actually have experienced this problem.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
If your service ticket doesn't show any repair, contact Chevy Customer Care here on CruzeTalk and get a ticket open. Jackie and crew should be able to receive PMs again. Even if your dealership had to use a replacement "faulty" part, it doesn't appear that the part will fail immediately. From the documentation GM filed with the NHTSA, this doesn't appear to be an "immediate" failure of the part, but rather a failure over a prolonged usage.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tell me, if they have no updated parts and your car has displayed the symptoms in the "recall", what should an owner do? Continue to drive the car for a few more months? Wait for the postcard in the mail? Hope it doesn't happen again and you get into a wreck? A lot of forum members had comments (12 pages) but no one had a reasonable response to the owners who actually have experienced this problem.
What is a reasonable response to you? Remember, not many, if any on this board are GM technicians. Going back to your original explanation of the issue and what a GM rep stated in the Edmonds article, I don't think your problem is necessarily related to this recall. Did you lose your brakes completely? No. Did you lose brake assist? Yes. My best reasonable response is either slow down and realize you have a problem and realize it will take extra effort to stop your car until you diagnose and fix the problem, or park the car until you have the car fixed.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi Hydra sport

We are indeed GM employees working from the GM Renaissance center in Detroit, MI. We actually do get involved in customer issues and are available to assist you in a variety of ways. The information that you were given by the dealership is incorrect. I am more than sure that there are many people on the forum that can attest to the fact that we helped then get their dealer/vehicle issues resolved or tried our best to. I can do the same for you. You can always send me a private message if you need assistance and see for yourself what we are all about.

(and sorry for the delay in communication we had issues logging in to our account for a few days)

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Got my recall notice in the mail today .... since I'm the first to report, do I win?
You win a free repair regardless of mileage and warranty status. :) Finally, GM has started sending out the notices. Thanks for letting us know they're on the way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Best part is it says "contact your dealer on or after November 1" .... and "PARTS ARE NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE", "we expect to have sufficient parts to begin repairs by November 1, 2013"... had to laugh.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
That means they are sending parts out now as we speak...just an FYI

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Now we know why GM has been slow in getting recall notices out to owners - parts.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Really : we thought they were waiting fer chevycruze 2012 to snap it up a bit .

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Im confused brianV..what do you mean snap it up?

Reactions: brian v

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I think Brian has confused all of us on this one.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Ha ahahahahh yeah but yer all laughing .
Besides you need to wake up now , and stop being confused .

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
121 - 140 of 231 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.