Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
141 - 160 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had to laugh at the statement on the letter "We apologize for this inconvenience. However, we are concerned about your safety and continued satisfaction with our products." I'd like to see that statement put into practice for many disgruntled Cruze owners.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
Received my letter the other day too, even though Jackie said it wasn't affected. I'll give them a laundry list of things to work on while they're at it though, like:
- Recall
- Front strut noise
- A/C randomly coming on
- Maybe some sunroof seal adjustment (have a little air noise)
- Sticky steering, which hasn't been so sticky lately

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I apologize Sunline Fan. At the time that you asked me it may not have been in our system yet. I did look up your VIN and no recalls showed up at that time.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
New Recall 12213

Hey everyone I just got a paper in the mail from Chevrolet and it is about a recall. The recall 12213 paper states;

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2012 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicles equipped with a 14.L turbo engine and a 6-speed automatic transmission. As a result, GM is conducting a safety recall.

This engine-transmission combination in your vehicle requires supplemental vacuum under certain operating conditions. An electrical vacuum pump provides the supplemental vacuum, and if this is not available due to silicon on the brake vacuum micro switch, brake assist may be intermittently reduced or lost. Reduction or loss of brake assist will require extra pedal force and/or longer distance to bring the vehicle to a stop, increasing the risk of a crash.

Just thought I would share this information with the CruzeTalk community.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Trevor, I moved your post to the brake recall as this is simply the owner notification letter. For anyone who is curious, the culprit here is similar to many other large recalls lately and was one of the items NASA investigated when they assisted the NHTSA on the Toyota unintended acceleration reports.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
Trevor, I moved your post to the brake recall as this is simply the owner notification letter. For anyone who is curious, the culprit here is similar to many other large recalls lately and was one of the items NASA investigated when they assisted the NHTSA on the Toyota unintended acceleration reports.

Thank you sir, totally forgot about this thread..lol.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The good news is that owners are starting to get the recall notices with instructions. Thanks to your post we now know exactly what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
The good news is that owners are starting to get the recall notices with instructions. Thanks to your post we now know exactly what the problem is.
That's good! The bottom of the paper also said they do not have any of the parts in yet but when they get the parts in stock they'll send out another letter for you to come in and get it serviced. Glad I was able to help out some lol.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Another member said their letter said sometime after Nov 1. Given what your letter said what will happen is that the same switch will be installed. The difference will be that the manufacturing of this switch will have been modified to prevent the silicon and other whiskers that are causing the switch to short out and not operate. These whiskers are electrically conductive and allow current to jump from one part of the chip to another part. It also takes time for them to grow to the point where they can cause problems, which explains why these switches worked initially but then started to fail. It's also why every single Cruze with this switch will end up in the recall, if not already added.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
The difference will be that the manufacturing of this switch will have been modified to prevent the silicon and other whiskers that are causing the switch to short out and not operate. These whiskers are electrically conductive and allow current to jump from one part of the chip to another part.
Cool! I've heard of whiskering before (Tin Whiskers):

Whisker (metallurgy) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just received my recall notice yesterday. Said the same thing about "hey there's a safety issue with your car, but we don't have anything to fix it with yet..."

Okay, maybe I paraphrased that a little. ;) Either way, I'm glad to see it. I've really been noticing this issue a LOT lately. It is not a pleasant feeling having your foot to the floor and not stopping as quickly as you should.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I can report that this definitely does NOT impact the MTs. Even with the engine off but the key in the run position I have full and repeated braking with no increase in pedal pressure required.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got mine a couple of weeks ago as well. You would think that since it was the BRAKES, they would have more alacrity to fix an issue like that. Good thing I keep a good distance from cars in front of me. Except when they cut me off...

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I had the recall performed on my 2012 eco automatic yesterday.
Takes more time to write the service ticket than to exchange the switch.

Anyways, it appears the delay was a result of the switch not being available as a service repair part.
Prior to the recall, the switch was only available as part of the entire network of tubes/one way valves that lead from the master cylinder booster unit and vacuum pump to the intake manifold.
The switch specifications had to be changed to prevent "wiskering' and those switches were being used for the assembly mentioned earlier to maintain production.
A part number had to be created and put in the parts ordering system.
Packaging was developed (box is so big you could put 50 switches in it) for one switch and one small tube of assembly lube.
The manufacturer of the switch had to double production for cars being assembled as well as those requiring the new part.
And of course, shipping to and from a parts warehouse.

Good news for those ever needing a switch.....prior to the recall the switch/manifold assembly was on the order of $80.00....
Now, the actual repair part is less than $10.00.....so if your high mileage Cruze has this fail due to age or whatever the cost won't be very memorable.

It is a remove connector, remove switch, install switch, install connector, pump brakes to trigger vacuum pump three times service.....takes just minutes.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Even with the engine off but the key in the run position I have full and repeated braking with no increase in pedal pressure required.
Yes, it would seem there's a vacuum pump in the MT cars as well. If coasting with the engine off you can actually hear the pump come on every time you press the brake pedal to keep the vacuum up. Neat feature... I wonder if this is implemented for regulatory reasons (i.e. everybody's doing it) or if it is to adress a Cruze-only quirk?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Turbocharged and supercharged engines have very low manifold vacuum available at cruise and become positive pressure anytime the turbo or supercharger is called into action.
The power brake booster on the Cruze is vacuum powered, so, to overcome the lack of available vacuum to power it a vacuum pump is enlisted to augment the need for vacuum.

Other designs, such as the Turbo Regal, used a hydraulic assisted booster powered by the power steering pump.
Another example, the supercharged Thunderbirds of the late 80's/early 90's used a electric powered hydro-boost system.

Rob

141 - 160 of 231 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.