Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put some Chinese splash guards on my car when I bought it off e-bay. I think I paid around $25 shipped for them. Well, I got rear-ended in the fall of 2012 and one of the rear ones were ruined, so the body shop bought a new set of GM splash guards, for somewhere over $100.

Two winters later....

The plastic actually tore along the fender's edge. Both sides are like this now. I am seriously not impressed. I don't care how much snow and ice gets caked up on there, those things should last more than two winters, and last year was VERY mild.

NickD, where did you buy those splash guards you have on your car? It looks like I need a set of replacements.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Dang those Guards sure are beat up pretty good . I purchased mine from Amazon 3 years ago and they are still holding strong for made in Korea stuff ..

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Mine are still in good condition. I had them installed on my ECO MT prior to dealer delivery. I wonder if something tore when they were installed.

·
10,713 Posts
How did you manage to rip/tear them? 3 hours ago I managed to center high my ECO on an ice embankment and all 4 survived. I agree they do nothing for rocks and dirt/spinoff protection especially for the price paid for them.​

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you manage to rip/tear them? 3 hours ago I managed to center high my ECO on an ice embankment and all 4 survived. I agree they do nothing for rocks and dirt/spinoff protection especially for the price paid for them.​
I have no idea..all I know is they didn't last very long. Most likely all the slush and snow thrown up at them. You'd expect better for $100.

Sent from mobile.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
http://www.powerflowinc.com/2014-ProFit-Application-Guide-V-II.pdf

Got these from my Fleet Farm store for $9.99 a pair, the rears are the same as the fronts, but need a notch cut out of them. Used the same hardware for the outside rim, and purchased Dorman 1/4" push rivets just like the Cruze uses a million other places to secure them to that thin plastic wheel well on the inside. Supplied sheet metal screws would never hold.

Same exact ones used on my 04 Cavalier, daughter has this car now, after ten years, still in great shape. When installing them have to use pressure for a good tight fit and make sure they are vertical. Also commented, my Chevy dealer sure liked them.

Also commented my 92 DeVille and 88 Supra didn't need them by flaring out the lower side of the fender. Cruze could have done the same thing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Do any of the aftermarket ones fit with the RS package or does that prohibit me from having splash guards?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I really have no idea how yours fell apart so quickly.
Did you install them yourself? There is no way in **** that they should be falling off like that.

I inspected mine closely today after seeing this. They are still in fantastic condition.
I've had mine on for two full Canadian winters now and look near new. They have been through some tough, tough, weather.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Can you believe GM wants $5.64 each for their part GM # 11589289, that push pin rivet that is used everywhere. Trunk, fender wells, engine shield, plastic vent under the windshield, all that radiator plastic stuff.

Found this outfit that will sell a box of 25 for $7.98, but they want around 15 bucks for S&H charges.

Body Hardware GM

Weighed one about 0.035 ounces, box hardly come to an ounce. Even ebay has outrageous prices on these, but does have free shipping, $5.64 each.

Must be well over 200 of these things holding the Cruze together, at these prices around 1,300 bucks worth.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really have no idea how yours fell apart so quickly.
Did you install them yourself? There is no way in **** that they should be falling off like that.

I inspected mine closely today after seeing this. They are still in fantastic condition.
I've had mine on for two full Canadian winters now and look near new. They have been through some tough, tough, weather.
They were installed by the body shop that did the work on my car when it was rear ended. I do have snow tires on and I have been flinging some snow and ice at them pretty hard at times. I live down a 600 foot gravel driveway that isn't plowed as well. That may have something to do with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
They were installed by the body shop that did the work on my car when it was rear ended. I do have snow tires on and I have been flinging some snow and ice at them pretty hard at times. I live down a 600 foot gravel driveway that isn't plowed as well. That may have something to do with it.
Yep. Or if your wife is like mine she may have one of those 'I don't know what happened' explanations I seem to only get on the telephone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I'd say that body shop didn't properly install your mud flaps.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Mine were properly installed. By me.

The part of one of the front mud flaps that is in physical contact with the wheel well is still fastened securely. The rest of it, the part that hangs down, just plain cracked and broke off.

This is probably due to the very cold weather, build up of snow, and extreme driving conditions that my car goes through most days. I think the mud flaps would be just fine otherwise.

·
Registered
508 Posts
When it comes to these splash guards, the proper plan of attack for northern winters is to simply clean out your wheel wells and the grooved parts of the splash guards of snow build up after each drive. If done immediately it will take less than a minute or two. I keep a pair of regular water proof winter gloves in the trunk for the sole purpose of doing this because if you do it without gloves you risk frost bite, and besides it'll keep for hands clean. Just simply grab at and pull the snow out. If done after each drive, it'll never have the chance to harden and put extra weight on the flaps subjecting them to extra wear. Believe it or not, snow can get so frozen on to the guards and hang from them. Drive to wear clearance is slightly lower, the frozen I've will contact the ground pulling on the guards along with it. The irony of it is these guards really don't do cars justice outside of protecting the immediate bumper and rocker panel area from erosion of the paint (little dots of chips from rocks kicked up). This is important but these guards all hold a ridiculous amount of dirt up against areas of the car. You're actually better off without them
during winter because of these complications. They are simply good for highway driving and protecting those areas mentioned. Outside of highway speeds, those chips won't occur.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
With the OE splash shield, only got as far as looking at the pricetag. How are these mounted? Are the holes predrilled? Are they using screws or push pin rivets?

The Pro-Fit ones were blank, took a piece of light cardboard drew the outline and punched holes for the two fasteners that attach to the outside of the fender. Then drilled three more holes at the top, middle, and lower side on the inside and used those push pin rivet fasteners. With a total of five fasteners.

Admittedly, when my dealer replaced the right front fender. Two of the inside push pins were missing, after I checked over everything, also found a couple missing from the front under cover, went back and got those. Later I found two more push pins missing in that trunk lid cover, hit my dealer for those two as well.

Had no idea I hit him for 36 bucks worth of push-pins, thought these would cost about two cents each.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts