Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GM to launch in-car app shop and support it with 4G

http://blog.caranddriver.com/gm-opens-infotainment-api-to-developers-to-spur-vehicle-specific-apps/

Cool, but too bad GM/Chevy refuses to show 2013 and soon to be 2014 Cruze owners with the current Chevy Mylink 1.0 any of this infotainment love!

Please tell me how, the Cruze continues to be one of Chevy's best selling vehicles, and yet Chevy/GM continually chooses to starve current Cruze owners of infotainment updates and upgrades, mainly in the way of apps, but plans on catering to other vehicles in the Chevy lineup and give only those with the new 2.0 Mylink infotainment system all the goodies?!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Back in the early 90's, Bill Gates was trying is hardest to get into writing software for the automotive field. Was a standing joke among automotive engineers at the time. If he did, we would have to reboot our vehicles every five minutes.

It was in the late 60's, early 70's, the microprocessor was first introduced, first claim, was far cheaper to write software than design hardware. Okay, today hardware practically cost nothing, but being robbed blind with software. With the first microprocessors, a separate data from program bus was used. Marketing learned that with a eight bit processor, eight cents could be saved on an eight bit processor by combining these two buses. A strong engineering argument was lost that if the program counter skipped a beat, would be reading data instead of an instruction and the processor would crash. Only one guess as to whom won that argument.

Was in the mid-eighties that marketing insisted on that two digit date to save a few cents, even when computers were costing thousands back then. No need to mention the billions of dollars that was wasted because of this in Y2K.

Early processors were based on 20 micron logic, today, that has been reduced to 0.3, impurities are becoming a major problem. In the 80's, it was learned an 89 cent microcontroller can replace a bunch of mechanical stuff saving huge amounts of money, but yet the cost to repair an automatic transmission has skyrocketed. Was a separate module back then, now a part of the PCM just like everything else is.

Touch screen, a printed manufacturing process not much different than a throwaway newspaper is far cheaper than using hard switches, but very subject to failures especially by storing code in flashram. An infinitesimal amount of trapped electrons determines the difference between a logical 1 or a 0. Worse case noise immunity? What is that when dealing with next to nothing.

Was so excited when I was able to purchase a 1937 Olds with a radio in it. Was a stand along unit, car would still run without it. Wish they would leave it that way.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Cool, but too bad GM/Chevy refuses to show 2013 and soon to be 2014 Cruze owners with the current Chevy Mylink 1.0 any of this infotainment love!
The automotive world is full of no backdating of upgrades. It's been going on forever. In this case, I'm reminded of the computer application I was responsible for while I was a programmer in the Air Force. The program completely filled the memory of the system when it ran or was compiled. In those days, the OS could not page things in an out of memory as needed, so you were limited by how much main storage the system had and it didn't have much. My biggest challenge was explaining to a two star general that he'd have to give up one feature if he wanted to add a new one to the program. Perhaps this is why the '12s lost the ability to show coolant temperature, or why you can't have MyLink2 features on your MyLink1 system. Remember, the "OS" these systems are running are proprietary to the auto manufacturer and they aren't going to open up for fear of losing control (literally and leagally) of the situation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the infotainment systems in the GM cars are made by GM and not some other electronics manufacturer.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,359 Posts
Back in the early 90's, Bill Gates was trying is hardest to get into writing software for the automotive field. Was a standing joke among automotive engineers at the time. If he did, we would have to reboot our vehicles every five minutes.
Lol, I've seen the Ford Sync systems crash quite often. Yup, it's Microsoft.

But sounds about right.

Whatever programming the standard Cruze radios run must run on a 386 processor. It's slow and INCREDIBLY buggy when trying to play music through the USB port.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
A Windows operating system in a car gave a whole new meaning to the term "Blue Screen Of Death" or BSOD.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
If the infotainment is supported by 4G that tells me that you will be required to pay for the use of that technology
Like a cell phones monthly bill . Just what I do not need is another monthly bill , No thanks keep that option GM

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
APPLE i·Shop for Automobiles!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts