Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many things I would change if I had any influence with GM management.

-First off, I want the SS trim level back on all cars. Who ever thought getting rid of all their SS trim and just making one overly priced useless car simply called an SS, should be fired. Where is the Spark SS with the 1.4 Turbo? What about a Sonic/Cruze SS with the 2.0L turbo? Impala SS? No one even knows what you're talking about when you say Chevy SS. Very dumb.
-Second, I really miss Pontiac. What happened to their affordable performance division? Nothing else had style like Pontiacs did. They were just more interesting than the Buick/Chevy counterparts.
-Third, I can not stand that they sell some vehicles overseas that they do not offer here.

Ute (Pontiac G8 with a truck bed)

Chevy Orlando (7 seater econobox)

Trail blazer (also 7 seats)

Cruze Wagon

Chevy Montana (something else with a truck bed)

Chevy Sail

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
How old are you ?

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do not be afraid of my youth. I assure you I will get old one day, well my body will, my mind might not.

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
:iagree:

I too miss Pontiac ... which is why I bought one of the "Last of the Breed" before they were gone!

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
If you want affordable performance . I suggest you find a Buildable Packeage and build IT ...

Spaycase how much was that G8 of yours and how much in addition have you sunk into IT ?

Marketing OP ..

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want affordable performance . I suggest you find a Buildable Packeage and build IT ...

Spaycase how much was that G8 of yours and how much in addition have you sunk into IT ?

Marketing OP ..
Buildable package? Do you mean add custom performance upgrades to a vehicle that already exists? Could you be more specific, what would you do to obtain an affordable performance family sedan? (Example: Grand Prix GXP)

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if US regs, like crash testing has something to do with that.
We were very close to getting the G8T (the Ute) but Pontiac was killed off before they could bring it out in 2010. There would likely be a huge demand over here for a car with a truck bed. Chevy tried in 2003 with the SSR but it was so ugly and expensive that it never caught on.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
881 Posts

Marketing OP ..
I paid $34k for the car ... brand new (incentives and military pricing included). As for the turbo kit ... my G8 was used as the "model" vehicle for UPP in Colorado Springs to build a kit for other G8 owners as well, so I will tell you that the original kit started at $6,995, but of course I was given a better deal, and they have since created a different kit. The Monster clutch was another $1,000.

If memory serves me correctly the Original MSRP on MY car was a couple hundred shy of $42,000

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
We were very close to getting the G8T (the Ute) but Pontiac was killed off before they could bring it out in 2010. There would likely be a huge demand over here for a car with a truck bed. Chevy tried in 2003 with the SSR but it was so ugly and expensive that it never caught on.
There's is a demand. Cue the honda Ridgeline.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
See you listed a couple of 7 passenger vehicles that are very popular in Europe, but not in the USA. Chrysler Town & Country in Europe is an eight passenger vehicle, here only six, Ford C-Max is seven across the ocean, here, only five.

Across the pond, practically every vehicle comes with a manual transmission, have to special order an automatic, just the opposite in the USA, expect for most vehicles, don't even have the option to get a manual. And to make matters even worse, getting next to impossible to service an automatic. Diesels are also far more common on the other side.

If you want brand distinction with GM, have to go pre-1980, one or two years, you could pay a lot extra for a Cadillac and still end up with an Olds engine. Only difference between a Chevy and a Pontiac was some minor trim changes.

When looking at the Cruze, same basic body is practically identical for Buick and Cadillac, just larger engines in the Buick and Cadillac you don't even need with our speed limits and traffic jams. And will sure pay a much larger price at the pumps to drive these things.

Ha, when even have both Chevy and GMC trucks and SUV's, key reason is to honor dealer contracts. Saturn, was a different kind of car with a lot more plastic for rust prevention, Saturn is no more.

You want a spare tire in an Eco? Have to get an AT before they will put one in.

Want cruise? Forget the LS, have to get an LT, even though its costing GM even more to remove the cruise in the LS then it would be if they left it in.

The way they are selling cars today, somehow that word "logic", just doesn't fit in. We could leave them in the showrooms.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
i would buy a super ute. i love the flexibility of having a pickup that can tear up the corners but still fits my bikes and some hardware. I am still very upset that the CTD did not have a manual option, it would help drop down cost and get some better mpg im sure ( if the driver does his part).

·
Registered
173 Posts
GM isn't going to sell anything that eats into their precious (high-profit) pickup sales. So, you probably won't see a Ute here in the US.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,903 Posts
Reactions: chevrasaki

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
It has quite a lot to do with it.
I suspect less than people think. Europe has very similar crash worthiness and emissions requirements. I am convinced GM, even after bankruptcy reorganization, still has a lot of idiots in senior positions, especially when it comes to selecting hot cars for the US and Canadian markets. Hatchbacks have been selling like hot cakes for Ford, VW, and Subaru, but GM's execs don't think they'll sell well in the US - go figure. :(

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,903 Posts
I suspect less than people think. Europe has very similar crash worthiness and emissions requirements. I am convinced GM, even after bankruptcy reorganization, still has a lot of idiots in senior positions, especially when it comes to selecting hot cars for the US and Canadian markets. Hatchbacks have been selling like hot cakes for Ford, VW, and Subaru, but GM's execs don't think they'll sell well in the US - go figure. :(
They are now - but they definitely weren't before. That's why it's such a bitch to legally import most vehicles under 25 years old.

Thank god the diesel requirements are finally coming to line up closely in 2018.5.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts

Well to be fair the malibu MaXX POS didnt sell to well lol.

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well to be fair the malibu MaXX POS didnt sell to well lol.
And is there any wonder why? It's so ugly, and seems like they didn't put any effort into it.

Reactions: Merc6

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
See you listed a couple of 7 passenger vehicles that are very popular in Europe, but not in the USA. Chrysler Town & Country in Europe is an eight passenger vehicle, here only six, Ford C-Max is seven across the ocean, here, only five.

Across the pond, practically every vehicle comes with a manual transmission, have to special order an automatic, just the opposite in the USA, expect for most vehicles, don't even have the option to get a manual. And to make matters even worse, getting next to impossible to service an automatic. Diesels are also far more common on the other side.

If you want brand distinction with GM, have to go pre-1980, one or two years, you could pay a lot extra for a Cadillac and still end up with an Olds engine. Only difference between a Chevy and a Pontiac was some minor trim changes.

When looking at the Cruze, same basic body is practically identical for Buick and Cadillac, just larger engines in the Buick and Cadillac you don't even need with our speed limits and traffic jams. And will sure pay a much larger price at the pumps to drive these things.

Ha, when even have both Chevy and GMC trucks and SUV's, key reason is to honor dealer contracts. Saturn, was a different kind of car with a lot more plastic for rust prevention, Saturn is no more.

You want a spare tire in an Eco? Have to get an AT before they will put one in.

Want cruise? Forget the LS, have to get an LT, even though its costing GM even more to remove the cruise in the LS then it would be if they left it in.

The way they are selling cars today, somehow that word "logic", just doesn't fit in. We could leave them in the showrooms.
I completely agree with you!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts