Super Moderator
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: mrbrefast and Gator

·
Super Moderator
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Xtreme - would you know if the Amsoil product meets the restriction of no metal, no alcohol and no water emulsifiers?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
So, according to this, I could put orange juice in my tank. No metal, no alcohol and no water emulsifiers.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Xtreme - would you know if the Amsoil product meets the restriction of no metal, no alcohol and no water emulsifiers?
No, but I can find out for you. I'll get back once I have an answer.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reactions: MRO1791

·
Super Moderator
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Okay - so the way I read that response is that there are no alcohol emulsifiers - but there are indeed emulsifiers. And GM says no to all emulsifiers as they will defeat the design function of the fuel filter and its water separator.
I checked the Injector Clean additive and found this blurb:

Separates Fuel and Water
AMSOIL Diesel Injector Clean is an alcohol-free product that protects fuel systems against water contamination. It helps prevent fuel/water emulsions so that separating filters can safely remove water before it reaches the pump and injectors, where it can cause corrosion. Water can be drained easier, ensuring drivability.
It would appear that the additive actually prevents the function of emulsifiers, so I think we're good on that one.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
emulsifier chemistry
I wonder if that is just an unfortunate choice of wording on the part of the person that responded to you. Did they mean to say "emulsifier free"? "Emulsifier chemistry" tells me that it *does* have emulsifiers.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
I wonder if that is just an unfortunate choice of wording on the part of the person that responded to you. Did they mean to say "emulsifier free"? "Emulsifier chemistry" tells me that it *does* have emulsifiers.
Since they did refer to the product description guide, that's what I took from it. The product guide did indicate it was emulsifier-free.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,130 Posts
Could there be confusion between Emusifiers and DEmulsifiers? I noticed the GM document was making distinctions between the two, and maybe typographical errors or un-careful reading has caused some confusion in communication?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I'll do a common sense translation with no fancy words needed.

GM wants you to use something that doesn't makes the water turn into even smaller droplets going past the water separator and into the combustion chamber where it's going to attempt to be compressed and we all know water doesn't compress and causes corrosion to the tiny sensitive parts of the fuel system.

AMSoil's product clearly states it does NOT do that and that the function of the product assists the water separator in doing it's job. Sounds like a win to me.

If we did not have a water/fuel separator like the common rail VW TDI's, I'd probably want something that did get the water through the fuel system rather then accumulate in the tank leading to a big slug of it possibly going down the pipe later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Been using pure cetane as additive the 4 years i've had my Corsa diesel, and while it doesn't make for a roadgoing jet it certainly helps cold starts and (according to the butt-dyno) gives the fuel some extra oomph.
It's some pretty hefty stuff that blends 1:350 for average supermarket diesel, so a 5L cannister goes a long way.

It wont clean your fuel system or anything like that, but it raises cetane numbers by 3-5 depending on mix and adds some lubricity that non-premium tend to lack.
So basicly "octane booster" for diesel fuels.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Talking about cetane boosters etc. I see there are Top Tier diesel fuel standards now,just like there are Top Tier gasoline standards.They say less emissions,cleaner injectors etc.Unfortunately its not available everywhere.I quizzed Co-oP fuels here in Canada and its only available in Regina, Saskatoon and Calgary.Shell Canada says their V-Power diesel meets the Top Tier standard.From what i understand if its Top Tier it has to say so on the pump.I haven't yet checked Shells V Power pumps here in Winnipeg to see if it does.Reason i'm bringing this up is my Cruze has had to have the head pulled and cleaned of intake valve carbon at 70,000km.Others on this forum have similar symptoms to what I had so I think this issue is starting to rear its head now that some miles are accumulated on these 1st gen models.I think driving conditions contribute to this (city) but there is no where in chevy's literature that says you need to drive highway for a certain amount of time.I see lots of diesels in the city (delivery,school busses etc).I'm thinking the new Top Tier fuel may help.In addition our cetane standards here in Canada are low compared to Europe,Austrailia,California.Higher Cetane makes less pollutants,less junk for the EGR to recycle and gum up things.So using that Amsoil cleaner,cetane booster may be a good thing for us.We here in Canada have a new "carbon tax",its too bad the govt.doesn't legislate higher cetane fuel,a known pollution reducer.That way if I have to pay a little more for fuel at least diesel owners are getting a benefit directly.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Talking about cetane boosters etc. I see there are Top Tier diesel fuel standards now,just like there are Top Tier gasoline standards.They say less emissions,cleaner injectors etc.Unfortunately its not available everywhere.I quizzed Co-oP fuels here in Canada and its only available in Regina, Saskatoon and Calgary.Shell Canada says their V-Power diesel meets the Top Tier standard.From what i understand if its Top Tier it has to say so on the pump.I haven't yet checked Shells V Power pumps here in Winnipeg to see if it does.Reason i'm bringing this up is my Cruze has had to have the head pulled and cleaned of intake valve carbon at 70,000km.Others on this forum have similar symptoms to what I had so I think this issue is starting to rear its head now that some miles are accumulated on these 1st gen models.I think driving conditions contribute to this (city) but there is no where in chevy's literature that says you need to drive highway for a certain amount of time.I see lots of diesels in the city (delivery,school busses etc).I'm thinking the new Top Tier fuel may help.In addition our cetane standards here in Canada are low compared to Europe,Austrailia,California.Higher Cetane makes less pollutants,less junk for the EGR to recycle and gum up things.So using that Amsoil cleaner,cetane booster may be a good thing for us.We here in Canada have a new "carbon tax",its too bad the govt.doesn't legislate higher cetane fuel,a known pollution reducer.That way if I have to pay a little more for fuel at least diesel owners are getting a benefit directly.
That carbon is not due to the fuel. It's from the EGR soot mixed with oil from the intake that deposits in the intake. The fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber, it never sees the intake side. So, it can't clog, nor keep clean the intake valves. An EGR and DPF delete will however prevent that build up of crud.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
FWIW I have been running Diesel Kleen additive for cetane boost and lubricity for 35,000km or so. It seems to have increased my mpg. Should help the injectors and fuel pump last longer too. Maybe it even helps the intake by reducing soot a bit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That carbon is not due to the fuel. It's from the EGR soot mixed with oil from the intake that deposits in the intake. The fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber, it never sees the intake side. So, it can't clog, nor keep clean the intake valves. An EGR and DPF delete will however prevent that build up of crud.
Quote from Special Task Force on Diesel Fuel Emissions, Brussels June 1992
"In emissions tests employing European procedures (light-duty, ECEI 5 + EUDC cycles; heavy-duty, ECE R49) and using a fuel matrix in which cetane number and total aromatics were the main variables, this study has found that cetane number is the dominant fuel quality parameter influencing gaseous and particulate emissions. For the light-duty vehicles investigated, strong correlations have been observed between cetane number and carbon monoxide emissions, and between cetane number and particulate emissions."
Higher Cetane=less particulate matter=less crap fed back in by the EGR. So highet Cetane is better all around,that's why Europe has adopted it,they are ahead of North America in that respect.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.