Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is GM thoughts on the Trifecta Tune for the Cruze? Do they discourage this upgrade? Does it jeopardize the GM warranty all?

Just wondering what is GM's official stand on this, if they have one at all?

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Officially (read "on paper") they dont like it from a warranty point of view, and will blame any sort of powertrain failure on it. HOWEVER, many have reported being in good graces with their techs and have had no issues warranty-wise. Consider it like car insurance... you are allowed to drive to work 6 days a month as a "pleasure only vehicle" but... in reality you drive it every day. Nothing happens and nobody cares but the day you get into an accident... they start asking questions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Was wondering the same thing . How easily can it be reversed? to "lie" about the upgrade

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Was wondering the same thing . How easily can it be reversed? to "lie" about the upgrade
The beauty of Trifecta is it's transparent. They can plug their computers in at the dealer and not know any different compared to a stock one. But they do start suspecting when things go wrong, even though proving it is where they draw the line usually.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The beauty of Trifecta is it's transparent. They can plug their computers in at the dealer and not know any different compared to a stock one. But they do start suspecting when things go wrong, even though proving it is where they draw the line usually.
So if the software is "invisible" How could they prove it? Im sure they would dig deeper no?

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
TONGUE-IN-CHEEK comment: Everything is legal...until you get caught!

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
So if the software is "invisible" How could they prove it? Im sure they would dig deeper no?
The way I understand it, based on a few techs who are members here and have investigated, the software devices that GM provides/requires their dealer network to use cannot go to the depths of finding traces of the tune. I believe if it comes down to it and you have some major engine damage where GM pulls the engine, disassembles it, and analyzes the ECM in a lab, they might find something.

That said, people here with tunes have had defective engines completely replaced by GM. You better believe they weren't happy about it.

While I do have the tune, I don't beat on the car. I got it for the trans changes and the ability to driver it more like a performance car if needed. I don't continuously run it hard. Just because the tune will allow it to build 24 PSI doesn't mean I want to take it to 24 PSI...

Reactions: sciphi

·
Registered
42 Posts
Agreed , If that is the case I might get one , On my Yukon I have a Black Bear Tune and I must say I was highly impressed . But they show up at the dealership. with this new car I don't want to ruin the factory warranty but at the same time I would like to get a few more horses out of her .

·
Registered
42 Posts
cant you just buy a new computer and have it tuned? And if you have a problem just put the stock tune computer back in?
I would imagine that a new computer for a new car like this would be stupid expensive

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
It rewrites only certain files so it doesn't add a rewrite to the master log file. When the tech scans it with TechII, it doesn't show the ECM was flashed like 99% of tunes. This is the invisible mode... you can flash back and forth and they wouldn't know the better. Of course as stated, if GM suspects something is up, they *could* send the ECM to a lab somewhere and have an engineer dive into the programming and will eventually find it... but that hasn't happened yet and we don't suspect it will.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
The *way* GM detects the presence of non-OEM code is by simply doing a "check-sum" reading of the memory contents, a simple numerical summation of the digitial numbers representing the memory "1 & 0 codes" content. If the check-sum number returned doesn't match the check-sum for the OEM code, then GM "knows" someones been playing in 'their' sandbox...so to speak.

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
As noted, the tune cannot be detected by the dealer. A GM engineer has to come out to analyze the car, and they might be able to detect the tune.

An early batch production had defective pistons, and people with Trifecta tunes did not have any issues getting their engines replaced. A few had blown clutches due to a defect and shredded synchros, and those were also replaced without any questions asked. In all of these cases, a GM engineer came out to diagnose the situation.

To date, I have not heard of a single report of a warranty claim being denied due to a Trifecta tune being installed on the car. This is one reason I recommend Trifecta. I have stated many times in the past that while the Trifecta tune may not be the best tune *for performance,* it is the best *performance tune.*

·
Registered
267 Posts
The way I understand it, based on a few techs who are members here and have investigated, the software devices that GM provides/requires their dealer network to use cannot go to the depths of finding traces of the tune. I believe if it comes down to it and you have some major engine damage where GM pulls the engine, disassembles it, and analyzes the ECM in a lab, they might find something.

That said, people here with tunes have had defective engines completely replaced by GM. You better believe they weren't happy about it.

While I do have the tune, I don't beat on the car. I got it for the trans changes and the ability to driver it more like a performance car if needed. I don't continuously run it hard. Just because the tune will allow it to build 24 PSI doesn't mean I want to take it to 24 PSI...
not so sure about this- it should be relatively easy to detect the tune. Even just a test drive will alert the tech to the fact the tune is not stock. A data log would confirm the tune. You can't become a tech of you are too dumb to do these :1poke:.

As far as proof for the tune- many have spoken on this. It would not be too difficult for GM/ dealer to do if they want to fight a warranty claim

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the Trifecta Tune geared more towards the enthusiast driver, as opposed to the more conservative average commuter who wants to enjoy the Cruze for it smooth,
quiet ride and good economy?

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
not so sure about this- it should be relatively easy to detect the tune. Even just a test drive will alert the tech to the fact the tune is not stock. A data log would confirm the tune. You can't become a tech of you are too dumb to do these :1poke:.

As far as proof for the tune- many have spoken on this. It would not be too difficult for GM/ dealer to do if they want to fight a warranty claim
Many people have select-a-tune, so unless the tech accidentally hit the Cruise Control button or slid the automatic lever over (depending on year), they wouldn't experience any increase in power or additional boost beyond the stock psi

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
On the manuals the cruise switch is the only way to turn the tune off. I've had mine in for the cut heat shield making noise, they drove the car 12 miles and when I got back in it, they had turned the cruise switch off. So I know the tech had a good time with it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Is the Trifecta Tune geared more towards the enthusiast driver, as opposed to the more conservative average commuter who wants to enjoy the Cruze for it smooth,
quiet ride and good economy?
Yes and No...
The tune does increase power significantly, it also (for automatics) helps smooth out the gear shifts and gear 'hunting'. It also increases MPG slightly, it overall makes the car so much better

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
I ususally reset the milage on my Eco milage game o.n the dic for the 25 miles

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
If GM denies my warranty because I added a perfectly safe ECU tune onto their car, they can be assured that I will never buy another GM vehicle again. That is more important to them at this point in the game than denying someone a $1000-$2000 warranty repair. The car market is the fiercest it's ever been.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts