Votes: 2 5.1%
  • IM NOT SURE

Votes: 3 7.7%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who here thinks GM has a reliability problem yet?

Our 2010 Corolla 60,000 miles replaced a wheel bearing

2011 cruze 70,000 miles, Transmission, 2 waterpumps, Valve cover, coil, spark plugs, Numerous leaking gaskets/hoses, . speaker, 2 thermostats.

I know these are just two vehicles but I haven't met anyone yet with a toyota or other asian car with problems.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
This thread is pointless as all cars will have problems. My corolla experience must be different than most as its the only car that has ever left me stranded on the side of the road(timing belt, jumped timing before scheduled maintenance period).

My previous two cars where both GM cars both went past 100K with only normal maintenance. My Buick had 265K on the clock when I sold it, it only had general maintenance and a couple starters & an alternator. My cruze did have some initial issues but has not been to the dealer for a repair for over 2 years(this is my 3rd summer of ownership). I currently have 51K on my 2012 cruze.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,317 Posts
2012 Camry SE 4 cylinder. Bad timing gear, timing tensioner, constant transmission shifting problems (eventually torque converter was replaced, fine now), dash squeaks, and both front strut assemblies replaced under warranty. Under 20,000 miles on the car.

There, you've met a Toyota owner with problems now. They don't build em like they used to.

Cruze has had a few issues - AC expansion valve, power steering rack, trunk leak, and front struts, but the powertrain has been fantastic so far.

Sent from Bill the WonderPhone

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
GM doesn't have a reliability issue - they have a crappy dealership network issue.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
The Cruze has a huge problem: the badge it wears. If it had a big H on it, it would probably have a better image to the average auto-uneducated consumer.

Seriously though, the car is fine. Mine hasn't quite been 100% perfect because my trunk button is corroded beyond saving, but that's my only issue this far in (and a well documented one). Bought the car in early June 2011, it's the vehicle I use for parts runs for the GF's 2009 Ford Focus :p That car was decent (reliability wise) until the last 2 years. These cars are in totally different leagues from each other in build/material/assembly quality, Cruze clearly on top. The Focus was more expensive at the time, probably because of the mediocre competition in compact cars pre-2010ish.

We are fortunate to have great Chevy and Ford dealers nearby, which goes a long way to giving a brand a good image.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I agree with the previous posters. My last car was an Olds Intrigue. A few minor issues under warranty when it was new (replaced a headlight assembly, sunvisors warped and kept the interior lights on, radio replaced because the track skip button broke). After the warranty ran out, I replaced the water pump at 150k, the AC condenser at 185k, and the AIR check valves and CV joints at 200k. That's it besides normal maintenance.

We have a Honda Odyssey with 110k now. I've had to replace a door seal, a taillight assembly, and the rollers on both sliding doors. Seems about on par with the intrigue, except at this point with the Olds, nothing was out of pocket. Things didn't start breaking when I was paying the bill until 150k.

Finding a dealer/mechanic is really the bigger issue. I drive an hour to have my Honda worked on. The local dealer is crap. My local chevy dealer is too, but there is a Buick/GMC/Cadillac dealer 2 blocks away that is better.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
OK, this thead is pretty arbitrary, but here's my experience. Going backwards:
'03 Mazda Protege5, still have it. Thermostat only problem in 91,000 miles at about 85K miles.
'97 Civic EX, traded it in on the current '13 EX-L, one problem in 106K miles. Steering rack seal at about 95K.
'92 Saturn SC, one problem in 10 years & 134.000 miles. Alternator bridge in year 5.
'88 Mazda 323 LX, not a single problem in 104.000 miles.
'86 Ford Custom Windstar. 51 repairs in first 15 months. Major POS!
'83 Civic Hatchback, one problem in 105,000 miles.
'80 Celica GT Hatchback, No problems in 98,000 miles.
'77 Corolla SR5 Liftback, Clutch slave cylinder seal at 75K miles. 108,000 miles total.
Four used Chevys. Each one a nickle and dime repeater after a couple of years old.

The only non-American car on this list that required warranty service was the '83 Civic for a weeping thermostat gasket. Even the Saturn didn't require warranty work.

I have no doubt that the Cruze is the best compact car Chevy has ever brought to market going all the way back to the 60s.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Its not really fair to compare the Corolla, which has basically been the same underneath for years, to the 2011 Cruze, which was a first year model in the US. I would certainly hope the Corolla had the bugs worked out after being essentially the same mechanically for so long. A more fair comparison would be to the 2013-2014 Cruzes, which have most of the bugs worked out as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, this thead is pretty arbitrary, but here's my experience. Going backwards:
'03 Mazda Protege5, still have it. Thermostat only problem in 91,000 miles at about 85K miles.
'97 Civic EX, traded it in on the current '13 EX-L, one problem in 106K miles. Steering rack seal at about 95K.
'92 Saturn SC, one problem in 10 years & 134.000 miles. Alternator bridge in year 5.
'88 Mazda 323 LX, not a single problem in 104.000 miles.
'86 Ford Custom Windstar. 51 repairs in first 15 months. Major POS!
'83 Civic Hatchback, one problem in 105,000 miles.
'80 Celica GT Hatchback, No problems in 98,000 miles.
'77 Corolla SR5 Liftback, Clutch slave cylinder seal at 75K miles. 108,000 miles total.
Four used Chevys. Each one a nickle and dime repeater after a couple of years old.

The only non-American car on this list that required warranty service was the '83 Civic for a weeping thermostat gasket. Even the Saturn didn't require warranty work.

I have no doubt that the Cruze is the best compact car Chevy has ever brought to market going all the way back to the 60s.

This thread may of been pointless but I like these experiences from people about different makes and problems. Coming from a family and friends of toyota lovers. Comsumer reports and the media always worship asian cars. This was the point of the thread. To actually show all cars have problems!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2012 Camry SE 4 cylinder. Bad timing gear, timing tensioner, constant transmission shifting problems (eventually torque converter was replaced, fine now), dash squeaks, and both front strut assemblies replaced under warranty. Under 20,000 miles on the car.

There, you've met a Toyota owner with problems now. They don't build em like they used to.

Cruze has had a few issues - AC expansion valve, power steering rack, trunk leak, and front struts, but the powertrain has been fantastic so far.

Sent from Bill the WonderPhone
Wow thats bad. Plus I really dont find a toyota nice looking at all

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Who here thinks GM has a reliability problem yet?

Our 2010 Corolla 60,000 miles replaced a wheel bearing

2011 cruze 70,000 miles, Transmission, 2 waterpumps, Valve cover, coil, spark plugs, Numerous leaking gaskets/hoses, . speaker, 2 thermostats.

I know these are just two vehicles but I haven't met anyone yet with a toyota or other asian car with problems.
Now you just met one. I had a toyota corolla 1998 - got rid of it at 60,000 miles when the dealer told me I needed a new rack because mine was leaking powersteering fluid. I had stuff falling off that car left and right. It was a piece of junk and fixing the rack would of cost more than what the car was worth.

My 2011 cruze has been a great car so far. The worse item I had replaced was the water pump and they know they had a problem with those and ever since it was fixed I haven't lost a drop of anti-freeze. It was such a small leak it never dripped on the ground and it was hard to see.

Whenever I tried to get any warranty work done on my corolla they looked at me like I was from outerspace because nothing goes wrong with a toyota. The reliability of toyotas is overhyped IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
2009 Honda Fit: Battery died at 2 years old, left my wife stranded. Failed just outside B2B warranty. OEM brakes were the noisiest things ever, needed constant re-lubing to quiet down. LMS recall, possible engine lock-up and crash if that one spring in the valvetrain lets go. Transmission needs new fluid every 15-20k miles to keep shifting smoothly.

2012 Cruze Eco: 2 water pumps, one at 78k miles and the other at ~82k miles, IIRC. Both covered under powertrain warranty. Trunk button doesn't work, not going to fix. Transmission fluid needs changing every 30-35k miles. Clutch pedal has an intermittent squeak.

I'd buy another Fit or Cruze again, since they both are solid cars. I'd likewise buy another Honda or GM car again, since both companies can produce solid cars.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Perhaps this tread should be called GMs Chevy Cruze reliability talk and poll. I have had quite a few cars mainly Camaros and most have been very reliable with one or two service calls in there 3 to 10 yr ownerships with up to 100,000 miles however the Cruze just has way to many small to larger problems that GM seems to let go till another year model come out like the water pump problem and the PCV problem and now with there recalls that have scared away buyers. I have been lucky with the 2012 LTZ with only time wasted for 4 recalls in 2 yrs. But I have seen my neighbor with there 2012 LT go thru a lot of time to and from the dealer for repairs and I have spoken to quite a few other owners with there problems. Once my time is up with the Cruze we will go away from the Cruze to another model.:)

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I have been lucky with the 2012 LTZ with only time wasted for 4 recalls in 2 yrs. But I have seen my neighbor with there 2012 LT go thru a lot of time to and from the dealer for repairs and I have spoken to quite a few other owners with there problems.
I only know if two recalls for the 2012 cars, the oil spill/lower engine shield mod and the automatic equipped turbo cars electronic brake booster switch. I think there may have been a airbag recall for a very small number of car too.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Some of the 2012s also had an additional restraining strap secured to the gas tank at the same time their engine shields were hacked away.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,317 Posts
Wow thats bad. Plus I really dont find a toyota nice looking at all
TBH, I kinda like what they did with the styling of the SE version, although there are much better looking cars in the class like the Mazda 6 and Ford Fusion.

I can't stand the firm suspension and loud tires. Camry =/= sports car by such a long shot that it's just ridiculous they made the ride BMW-firm. We made the mistake of test driving the car in an area with quite good roads...and live in an area with quite bad roads.

Although it corners much better than the 2002/2003 Camrys we both used to own, the reliability is just so, so far behind what those cars were. The 2002 has had very few repairs (valve cover gaskets and brake master cylinder) in its lifetime, and mine was killed a few years back in an accident, but never needed anything but a water pump its 6-year life.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I can't recall when they started building the Camry where it's built now.

·
Registered
421 Posts
2014 CTD-7 months old, failed exhaust fluid pump, no other problems.

2008 Pontiac Vibe-50K miles, no repairs from new, just standard maintenance items, this car is mechanically identical to Toyota Matrix.

2001 BMW 740i M Sport Package, 66K miles, great driver but too many repairs to list them all for this garage queen. Failed radiator $500, power steering hoses $800, HVAC fan $1800, 3 batteries $900 ($300 each) and many smaller items. Just paying for the repairs runs about $1 per mile. BMW really does have a reliability problem.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts