Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
15,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've talked to two people lately who had their manual transmission serviced at a GM dealership, one of which is a heavy line dealer tech.

Remember when GM filled our transmissions to 1.6-1.8 quarts, and that 1.8 quarts was the re-fill spec? Remember when I started advising everyone fill their transmissions to 2.5 quarts? My tech buddy reported that the GM service manual now specifies a 2.4 quart transmission fluid spec.

I guess GM got tired of replacing bearings.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
My guess is this will only solve a portion of the problems. IMO, the bigger problem is the factory fluid specified for the US M32. Until the fluid itself is changed for a proper fluid for this transmission, I think GM is still going to see plenty of failures.

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
About time. Now if we can convince GM to license AMSOil for their synchromesh. :)

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
Is it safe for me to put half the remaining bottle (unopened) of AMSOil Synchromesh into my trans. Ed Bozarth only filled the 2 qts listed at the time as the correct fill level. I have about 24K miles on the fluid. This obviously wouldn't change my next drain and fill from the currently scheduled 90K. I'm at 69K miles right now.

Edit: What's the torque spec for the fill and drain plugs?

·
Administrator
15,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it safe for me to put half the remaining bottle (unopened) of AMSOil Synchromesh into my trans. Ed Bozarth only filled the 2 qts listed at the time as the correct fill level. I have about 24K miles on the fluid. This obviously wouldn't change my next drain and fill from the currently scheduled 90K. I'm at 69K miles right now.

Edit: What's the torque spec for the fill and drain plugs?
Yes it is safe and I recommend it. I don't know what the torque specs are off hand.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've talked to two people lately who had their manual transmission serviced at a GM dealership, one of which is a heavy line dealer tech.

Remember when GM filled our transmissions to 1.6-1.8 quarts, and that 1.8 quarts was the re-fill spec? Remember when I started advising everyone fill their transmissions to 2.5 quarts? My tech buddy reported that the GM service manual now specifies a 2.4 quart transmission fluid spec.

I guess GM got tired of replacing bearings.
Is this for the manual transmission? thanks

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
Yes.

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
I know my dealership has the new information and they put in 2.5 qts when I replaced my fluid at 90K miles.

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
I had mine changed out yesterday to the Amsoil, still seems pretty notchy and the car has just over 20k miles on it.
It's a notchy transmission, but the AMSOil will prevent 2nd gear grinds and also protect the transmission for longer. The GM fluid died in my Cruze somewhere between 10 and 15K miles (I have a "grindy" 2nd gear) while the AMSOil went about 40K before I started experiencing the 1st to 2nd grind again.

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
I have change alright... this morning it was 30F and my car would not shift. Not sure if I have a clutch issue but so far I have two major thumbs down on this change. Grrrr!!!!
That sounds like a different issue. Even with no fluid you should be able to shift.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That sounds like a different issue. Even with no fluid you should be able to shift.
I guess I should elaborate. My girl went to take it to work, she couldn't not get it in any gear (she wasn't trying to force it)

I was able to drive it work this morning, but it was shifting horribly. I had to force it to shift, it was beyond just notchy.

I did notice that when I went to let out the clutch the car starting moving after about 1/2" of coming off the floor, maybe this is totally related to clutch, but now I'm going to be forced to go to the dealer and I have Amsoil in the gearbox.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts