Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Going for 1,000 mile tank

31360 172
As some of you may know, I have had several 900+ mile tanks over the last few months. I am flirting with the 1000 mile tank and figured I would start logging my stats.

I will add more details as to tricks and techniques as I have time.

I have 18 gallons of useable fuel onboard, so 55.6 mpg average will be required. (I will not entertain fuel capacity arguments)

Currently I can maintain 56+ mpg for 700+ miles on my weekly commute. The weekend errands have been what has kept me from the 1000 mile tank. I started this week with a 230 mile head start as I filled up in Ohio on the way back from Lordstown.

Speedometer Vehicle Car Auto part Gauge
Speedometer Vehicle Auto part Car Gauge

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I was able to get 800 once, but my driving is too varied and I have a lead foot when taking off.

Reactions: BradHerr

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I left for wildwood, nj from near Indy about a week ago, it was cool, about 55 degrees, and a small amount of tail wind, was getting in mid 50s but having to stop for bathroom breaks and some hills took me down a bit. Went 803 miles and DIC said I could go another 150 or so plus I ran out of highway and began doing some starts and stops. I think if I were driving west and not in a hurry I might be able to get close to 1000 miles. 900 wouldn't be a problem at all.

on my return trip I drove faster and stopped a couple times more, went 811 miles or so but the low fuel light was on and then it said low fuel on DIC and I was in Indy and know I burn more fuel in city so I fueled up, plus it was just 1.96 so why not.

i don't really expect I will do a 1000 tank, but prolly 850 to 900. Not sure I want to get my car that close to empty. But you sure can make it. Plus my CTD only has 12.6k miles. I don't know how long it takes for it to be fully broke in?
I drove mine like I stole it from day 1. Absolutely no "proper" break in procedure. The result? Great power and 0 oil consumption 170,000 miles later. As for running low, I have run over 100 miles with the low fuel light on without issue. YMMV. I figure once the light comes on you have about 2 usable gallons of fuel remaining.

By the way, I think you still have a possibility of making 1000.

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Reactions: BradHerr and obermd

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Awesome job on 1000 miles. Thanks for deciding to go for that goal and for posting the steps along the way. These are truly amazing cars.

Reactions: obermd and BradHerr

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I go into DFCO a lot.

I have been experimenting with coasting in neutral under certain circumstances.

Also I have been trying a pulse-n-glide on some hills. On the down hills I accelerate while keeping the instant mpg above 65. I try and gain a few MPHs on the downhill and coast over the next hill. Mixed results so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have found that the cruise control does a better job of getting better fuel economy than my attempts to do the same thing manually.

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
during my record mpg ohio run i would give it some gas down the hills to keep me at 75 but just barly then on the up hill hold the throttle around 18% to keep some speed on the uphill then the car gradually slowed to 45 50 mph and then just keept it there. seemed to work well for me
I tried similar things and it always seemed like the cruise control still did a better job over the same stretches.

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
How far are the diesels going when the distance to e goes to "LOW"?
I've gone about 100 miles, but I was driving like 62 MPH and averaging in the mid 50's. I was still sweating it lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.