Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Going for 1,000 mile tank

31360 172
As some of you may know, I have had several 900+ mile tanks over the last few months. I am flirting with the 1000 mile tank and figured I would start logging my stats.

I will add more details as to tricks and techniques as I have time.

I have 18 gallons of useable fuel onboard, so 55.6 mpg average will be required. (I will not entertain fuel capacity arguments)

Currently I can maintain 56+ mpg for 700+ miles on my weekly commute. The weekend errands have been what has kept me from the 1000 mile tank. I started this week with a 230 mile head start as I filled up in Ohio on the way back from Lordstown.

Speedometer Vehicle Car Auto part Gauge
Speedometer Vehicle Auto part Car Gauge

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
I think I can do 900 miles to a tank not sure about a 1000. Go for it. It is pretty darn amazing. :eusa_clap:

Reactions: BradHerr

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
I was able to get 800 once, but my driving is too varied and I have a lead foot when taking off.
I had two 800 plus mile tanks last week, I think I could hit 1000 with no to little a/c and speed of less than 65 mph. But yikes that isn't a lot of fun.:grin:

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
I left for wildwood, nj from near Indy about a week ago, it was cool, about 55 degrees, and a small amount of tail wind, was getting in mid 50s but having to stop for bathroom breaks and some hills took me down a bit. Went 803 miles and DIC said I could go another 150 or so plus I ran out of highway and began doing some starts and stops. I think if I were driving west and not in a hurry I might be able to get close to 1000 miles. 900 wouldn't be a problem at all.

on my return trip I drove faster and stopped a couple times more, went 811 miles or so but the low fuel light was on and then it said low fuel on DIC and I was in Indy and know I burn more fuel in city so I fueled up, plus it was just 1.96 so why not.

i don't really expect I will do a 1000 tank, but prolly 850 to 900. Not sure I want to get my car that close to empty. But you sure can make it. Plus my CTD only has 12.6k miles. I don't know how long it takes for it to be fully broke in?

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
I drove mine like I stole it from day 1. Absolutely no "proper" break in procedure. The result? Great power and 0 oil consumption 170,000 miles later. As for running low, I have run over 100 miles with the low fuel light on without issue. YMMV. I figure once the light comes on you have about 2 usable gallons of fuel remaining.

By the way, I think you still have a possibility of making 1000.
i drive mine like I stole it now at least once a day and did so several times on my 800 mile tanks. I took my oil life monitor to ZERO for the first time on any car I ever have driven, Never done that before. It was like 7500 miles, dealer is using Mobil 1 Xe 5w 30. I like to drive it hard on a big hill or mountain. I used no oil between changes but only 12.6k miles. Not that it makes a huge difference but I had a tint done recently and my ac doesn't run nearly as much as it did prior. I would assume on a hot day it may make a difference. Now I can get free oil changes at 18k, then 24k and get to 30k or so and either have dealer do changes or myself. I am very happy with this CTD.

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Hopefully you don't get a regen right towards the end, a regen in my car reduces mileage a lot for 10-15 min.

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
I respect what you are working to achieve but over inflating tires and removing stuff seems a bit obsessive on my side. I think finding ideal speed for your daily route makes sense to me. I want a comfy ride and honestly for the money the Cruze CTD is an amazing ride and comfort. I enjoy pushing this car to see what it can do but not in exchange of my comfort. Hope you make it.

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
It's all good. I had a vision you removed all the seats but the driver seat. :uhh:

Reactions: BradHerr and obermd

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Brad you do realize that the difference in true cost savings between a 900 mile tank and a 1000 mile tank is about a cup of coffee at Starbucks? I know it's cool. I guess we will know pretty soon. I bought a old roadmaster wagon to flip and on the way home I ran out of gas on 465 around the loop in Indy. The fuel gauge didn't work, it showed I had fuel. Paid a for a tow truck to safely take me to a gas station and put fuel in it and drove home. I didn't like being on a highway with cars going 70 mph and just sitting there. Plus when the car ran out of gas I felt like I was going to get run over by a semi. Hope you have better luck.

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
I hit 80 miles every tank. For 800, the link is in my signature. I ended up at 813.9 miles.
Do you fill your fuel tank to brim or just stop near the click on the ECO with the reduction in fuel capacity with ECO tank. I have to say that was a feature of the ECO setup that I really didn't like so much. Unless I filled to brim it never seemed to feel like I was putting the same amount of gasoline in.

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
I started with 16.0 to 16.1 gallons in my tank and averaged over 50 MPG the entire tank. I don't have the modified fuel pump. My normal fill is to the first dollar after first click off, which does give me some really strange tank to tank MPG numbers but it averages out over time. Interesting thing is that the station I did this at I can no longer trickle fill. It appears they have replaced the underground pumps. Here's the full thread: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/22778-800-mile-eco-mt-tank-range.html.
i fully understand, with my CTD I guess it's similar but just get more than Eco. Sometimes with the diesel the knozel is larger in diameter and it just fills too fast and or it won't let me trickle it in, I don't like wearing diesel fuel or gas and if pump doesn't let me trickle it in no need to try, just makes a royal mess. I like big numbers for distance but not that big of deal.

Reactions: obermd

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Well done Brad. Hey maybe next remove the extra seats that you don't need? :eusa_clap:

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Congrats...u must do almost all highway miles?

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
What are some of the tricks that you guys are doing to get your 1600km/1k mi tanks?

I see 55psi in tires, filling the tank to the neck, speeds seem to vary but i guess that depends on the mileage of your car?

I have to drive from Vancouver to Fort Mc Murray ~1600km once every 2 weeks , id fly it but i still need some wheels at home and it will probably be cheaper to drive than fly anyways!!!

Also has anyone made an FAQ on hypercruzing?

I just traded in my '11 Silverado HD with a 6L gas for a used 14 CTD.
I have gone close to 900. I wouldn't over inflate tires ever. Fill diesel to neck, slow down, no city driving, and ideal would be the wheels don't stop and on freeway. That would be what I would do. I think it's awesome, just have to have the correct trip to achieve it. I am confident mine would do it but not willing to drive 60 mph or so to do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.