Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you may know, I have had several 900+ mile tanks over the last few months. I am flirting with the 1000 mile tank and figured I would start logging my stats.

I will add more details as to tricks and techniques as I have time.

I have 18 gallons of useable fuel onboard, so 55.6 mpg average will be required. (I will not entertain fuel capacity arguments)

Currently I can maintain 56+ mpg for 700+ miles on my weekly commute. The weekend errands have been what has kept me from the 1000 mile tank. I started this week with a 230 mile head start as I filled up in Ohio on the way back from Lordstown.

Speedometer Vehicle Car Auto part Gauge
Speedometer Vehicle Auto part Car Gauge

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I had two 800 plus mile tanks last week, I think I could hit 1000 with no to little a/c and speed of less than 65 mph. But yikes that isn't a lot of fun.:grin:
That is the problem, the car is capable of maintaining +55 mpg if the conditions are favorable.

It takes a lot of things to line up to be able to put 1000 "good" miles together. The weather, (rain, wind, temp, etc.), terrain, time, traffic, commitment to drive "smart", extra errands and other unforeseen challenges all make it hard to put a 1000 high fuel efficiency miles together.

If this was easy or fun everyone would be doing it.

It is hard to stay focused all the time. I always look up the road for slower moving traffic and plan lane changes well before they happen. I typically go 1-3 mph above the posted speed limit. So I try not to move over to pass someone if there is faster moving traffic closing on me. I try to be considerate to other drivers.

I pay attention to intersections and have markers, like road signs, that I use to know when I can start coasting to the turn/stop. With this, I always monitor my speed and the other drivers so I don't hold them up.

My commute starts at 4:10 am, so traffic is light which helps.

But, to get everything to line up and work in your favor for such a long distance requires a little luck. I'm sure driving on open highway with no traffic or restroom breaks at 55 mph 1200 miles would be possible.

· Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I drove mine like I stole it from day 1. Absolutely no "proper" break in procedure. The result? Great power and 0 oil consumption 170,000 miles later. As for running low, I have run over 100 miles with the low fuel light on without issue. YMMV. I figure once the light comes on you have about 2 usable gallons of fuel remaining.

By the way, I think you still have a possibility of making 1000.
I usually go 50-80 miles after the light comes on. I don't buy in to the whole "the fuel pump overheating and dirt at the bottom of the tank" worries that quite a few people preach.

As for running it hard, in the words of Will Ferrell in the Other Guys, "I never actually put my foot all the way down to the ground with the accelerator like that"

· Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Brad,

Can you safely slow down by 5 MPH on your commute? This can make a huge difference in fuel economy.
I'll give it a try. I have 55 miles of interstate at 71-72 mph that nets 60-65 mpg. There is also 35 miles of highway at 59 mph that nets 62-67 mpg.

I believe the terrain plays a role in the diminishing returns on the slower highway driving, but I always see about the same mileage at both speeds so I have always been hesitant to slow on the interstate. I will try it tomorrow and report my findings.

· Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Brad, is your Cruze stock or modified? If modded, what have you done to it?
It has a few enhancements plus a few mods.

Tire pressures are maxed out, 55-58 psi warm.

Grill block off ran below 65°f

Partial extended belly pan between rear axle and rear bumper

Amsoil full synthetic fluids throughout power train

Pretty rowdy tune in computer

Removed extra parts and pieces to reduce weight

· Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So you will be either a HyperFailer or The most promenant member with a 1 of a kind ( made by you ) 1000.00 miler cruzer ..

Good Luck Chuck !
I've thought about the possibility of running the tank dry. If I do, I believe that negates the 1000 mile tank, or at least it should. But, running the tank dry will give me an exact amount of fuel the tank holds. I've put 18 gallons in it before, I would like to know the limits.

· Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Brad,

Can you safely slow down by 5 MPH on your commute? This can make a huge difference in fuel economy.
I've got a question for the group.

I wanted to do an experiment to test the effectiveness of slowing down to increase fuel mileage. So I did that today on the afternoon commute. I normally like to do three iterations and take an average before declaring victory. But....no surprise,

It was wildly successful!! As stated before, I normally run 59 mph on the highway and 71-73 on the interstate. Today I did 55 and 67 respectively and set new 25, 50 and 500 mile average high scores!

This leads to my question. By slowing down, it looks like the 1000 mile tank is easily within reach.

But, are there stipulations as to what classifies this a big deal?

Jacking up the front tires and setting a light brick on the gas pedal would be one way to get 1000 miles, but who would care?

I claim 18 usable gallons of fuel. By useable, I mean I use almost 18 gallons of fuel between every fill up. If I were to push the car and reach hyperfail status, that doesn't seem very "usable" or practical to me.

On the same hand, if I drop my speed to 45 mph at all times, the limit of my tank is going to far surpass 1000 miles. But, that is not practical either.

I would like to make a 1000 mile tank under somewhat real world driving conditions. I feel that running the speed limit and even 1-4 mph over the limit is reasonable and practical for most people.

How does everyone feel about this and are there guidelines for what everyone would think is useable/practical mileage?

· Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
@obermd that previous post was in no way directed at your suggestion in a negative way. I agree with your statement, I just want to make sure that if I can make the 1000 mile tank that there is not an asterisk next to it stating "yeah, right".

It has taken a lot to get to this point and I'm trying to make it with a daily drive able car. Gutting the interior, taping off seams, installing systems that require special attention and take away from the pleasure of driving puts the car into another category that I don’t want to be in.

· Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I respect what you are working to achieve but over inflating tires and removing stuff seems a bit obsessive on my side. I think finding ideal speed for your daily route makes sense to me. I want a comfy ride and honestly for the money the Cruze CTD is an amazing ride and comfort. I enjoy pushing this car to see what it can do but not in exchange of my comfort. Hope you make it.

I agree with you about comfort and safety, but I would like to clear up a couple things.

I run my tires at 51 psi cold, the maximum rated pressure on the sidewall. When warm the tire pressure increases to 55 psi or greater based on outside air temp and road surface temp. I understand this is above what is stated on the door placard but is within the design recommendations of the tire manufacturer.

As far as weight reduction from component removal, it was a poor attempt at humor. I have done a couple performance mods to the exhaust that saved about 60 pounds. These mods were for performance but, had a positive affect on the weight of the car. I mentioned the weight savings versus performance as some people are tired of hearing about it.

· Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Multimedia Technology Trip computer Auto part Electronic device
I was at 997 when I passed my normal fill up station. I went 1.5 miles past it and turned around to make it to 1000 miles. I figured 1,000.7 was as good as 1,035 or whatever it would have made it to. Speedometer Car Vehicle Auto part Mid-size car
56.12 mpg calculated by hand Automotive tire Wheel Tire Auto part Rim
topped off.

The rain over the last two hundred miles really hurt. Not sure how much is left to squeeze out.

The bar has been set.

· Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Well done Brad . The bar has been set indeed. Lol And it's real high. My wife and I are thinking about driving to the east coast and if we take the Cruze it's game on. Lol
My best distance to empty after a fill up is 882 to empty, You must have come close to or beat that too. Lol
Car Vehicle Speedometer Auto part Odometer
I was close.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.